What's The Latest On Philip Rivers In SD?...

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
The Chargers can indeed afford Rivers for another year. Signing Brees long term would make it even easier.

At some point the longer Rivers sits the more his value will go down...their window for a 1st is this year....after that they may even lose a 1st round pic at all....

We MUST have our 1st and 3rd rounds this year...we need Olineman!!!

We have aged and underachieving vets now...we must get talented youth to replace them pretty soon.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
At some point the longer Rivers sits the more his value will go down...their window for a 1st is this year....after that they may even lose a 1st round pic at all....

We MUST have our 1st and 3rd rounds this year...we need Olineman!!!

We have aged and underachieving vets now...we must get talented youth to replace them pretty soon.

I agree that the window is small.

However, QB depth is the most important thing in football.

Burning a pick for a proven or potentially great player doesnt bother me in the least.

Chris Cooley as far as Commanders go is a perfect example. Campbell on the other hand remains to be seen.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I don't know about that Lab. This draft is extremely deep at LT. That doesn't happen very often. A pick at 20 could actually get us a very good young LT. That would make the move of Adams very attractive or we could get great value for him in trade. I think we have a guard in Peterman already. If we could aquire another young guard, that would give us a nice young mix of talent on the OL, which is what this team really needs IMO. Bledsoe might be playing like crap right now but the truth is that if you get vet QBs and if you can protect them, they can win for you. Until we get the OL fixed, we aren't going to be succesful with any QB we bring in.
That's true, the opportunity cost is -- or could be -- high. But if you want a franchise QB, you have to bite the bullet sometime. And this is a rare opportunity to get a player who 1) was tremendously successful in college and a top-5 draft pick, 2) has had at least a couple of years of NFL seasoning under a good coach, and 3) we know Parcells likes.

And if 3) isn't satisfied, 1) and 2) don't make any difference.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
That's true, the opportunity cost is -- or could be -- high. But if you want a franchise QB, you have to bite the bullet sometime. And this is a rare opportunity to get a player who 1) was tremendously successful in college and a top-5 draft pick, 2) has had at least a couple of years of NFL seasoning under a good coach, and 3) we know Parcells likes.

And if 3) isn't satisfied, 1) and 2) don't make any difference.

The problem I see here is that we would only be another place for Rivers to go and sit. I just don't think he would go for that. It doesn't make sense to me because I don't think he would play until Parcells is gone. If you view Rivers as a player that can come in and start to develope now, then it doesn't look unappealing, on the surface. However, if you look at him as a player that will come in and sit for another two years, all of a sudden you've got some high picks invested in a guy who has never gotten any experience for 4 or 5 years. Put that together with the fact that we really need help on our OL before any QB is going to be succesful and I just don't see the sense in it.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I don't know about that Lab. This draft is extremely deep at LT. That doesn't happen very often. A pick at 20 could actually get us a very good young LT. That would make the move of Adams very attractive or we could get great value for him in trade. I think we have a guard in Peterman already. If we could aquire another young guard, that would give us a nice young mix of talent on the OL, which is what this team really needs IMO. Bledsoe might be playing like crap right now but the truth is that if you get vet QBs and if you can protect them, they can win for you. Until we get the OL fixed, we aren't going to be succesful with any QB we bring in.

Nice post.....we need a great LT really bad.......maybe 2nd rd would could look for a QB to develope.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
The problem I see here is that we would only be another place for Rivers to go and sit. I just don't think he would go for that. It doesn't make sense to me because I don't think he would play until Parcells is gone. If you view Rivers as a player that can come in and start to develope now, then it doesn't look unappealing, on the surface. However, if you look at him as a player that will come in and sit for another two years, all of a sudden you've got some high picks invested in a guy who has never gotten any experience for 4 or 5 years. Put that together with the fact that we really need help on our OL before any QB is going to be succesful and I just don't see the sense in it.
Well, if we aren't going to play him, then I'm not interested...

And I'm sure that what you're suggesting is what will actually happen. But if it were up to me, I would sacrifice a tackle for a talented young QB.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
What's The Latest On Philip Rivers In SD?

I checked with my advisors and they've informed me that Rivers (just like Bledsoe) also needs good protection and more then 2 or 3 recieving options to be successful.

joseephuss

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
I agree that the window is small.

However, QB depth is the most important thing in football.

Burning a pick for a proven or potentially great player doesnt bother me in the least.

Chris Cooley as far as Commanders go is a perfect example. Campbell on the other hand remains to be seen.

The Chargers traded for A.J. Feeley. He can provide depth behind Brees. I think they can afford Rivers for another year, but they will trade him to fill other holes. They are a few holes away from being a Superbowl contender. They need a top wide out and defensive back.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Well, if we aren't going to play him, then I'm not interested...

And I'm sure that what you're suggesting is what will actually happen. But if it were up to me, I would sacrifice a tackle for a talented young QB.

Well, I think you and I talked about this last April. I would have taken Alex Smith if I could have. I would have probably taken Rogers with our second number one. I definatly would have found a way to aquire Walters, out of ASU, in the third.

I am giving myself a hernia trying figure out how we might be able to aquire Quinn. Basically, if you don't have a guy who is acknowledged as your QB,then you don't have a QB IMO. All you have are place holders. I'm not a fan of this recycled QB thing but it is how we do business so I accept it and move on.

jcollins28

Reaction score
If any of you think that the Boys will be able to get Rivers on the cheap think again. AJ Smith thinks way to highly of himself and will only deal with a team he will be able to fleece on this deal.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Not sure we will be picking in the 20s, I would bet we'd be picking in the mid to high teens, anywhere from 14 to 20 most likely, so Cutler might be an option, but don't hold your breath.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
If I was a betting man, and i am, my money is on Rivers being a Jet next season.

rcaldw

Reaction score
What a question? Isn't it obvious that Rivers will NEVER pan out? After all, he has been out of football for 2 years, you know, College games don't count, and practices don't count, so what am I talking about, he has been out of football for what, 6 or 7 years? Wait a second. Can't count High School either. You know what, Phillip Rivers has never played football in his life.

Plus, if you can't even beat out a guy from Purdue, what are your chances in the NFL?

Plus we have all already evaluated his play during the times when he hasn't been on the field and come to the sound conclusion that he is a complete loser.

WARNING - THICK SARCASM

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
I'm not sure Phillip Rivers is the answer either. He sort of leaped forward in the draft to become a top 5 pick when most of the season he was touted as a late first to mid-second round pick. Rivers lacks mobility and his side arm release is strange.

alancdc

Reaction score
I have been watching Rivers since his freshman year, and I would say that he may not be that mobile, but has great presense in the pocket. As opposed to Drew who steps up in the pocket EVERY time right into our center who has been driven back so far by the nose tackle that it would seem he has a steering wheel on his chest. Sorry, for the sidebar. Rivers is a winner, and his delivery is wierd, but fine. He won at State where they had very little talent until his senior year. I love him, and I think given a preseason of the majority of snaps would be ready to start in 06.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
alancdc said:
I have been watching Rivers since his freshman year, and I would say that he may not be that mobile, but has great presense in the pocket. As opposed to Drew who steps up in the pocket EVERY time right into our center who has been driven back so far by the nose tackle that it would seem he has a steering wheel on his chest. Sorry, for the sidebar. Rivers is a winner, and his delivery is wierd, but fine. He won at State where they had very little talent until his senior year. I love him, and I think given a preseason of the majority of snaps would be ready to start in 06.

Just asking, what leads you to believe, specifically, that Rivers would be ready to start for us in 06?