What's the plan for the run game?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys were 12th in rushing attempts and 9th in rushing yards. I do think the numbers went down as Zeke had the knee injury. I would agree they need to do a better job of running the ball effectively.
Is that bragging? When you have a rb that has lead the league in rushing in several previous seasons....that is an embarrassing stat.

Silly

Reaction score
Zeke to left. Zeke to right. Zeke up the middle. Touchdown!

RonWashington

Reaction score
Pierce out of Fl or Spiller from A&M would have been nice to pick up this draft , not to be . The name Rico Dowdle doesn’t exactly keep DC’s awake at night I guess he will compete for # 3 & ST .

Praxit

Reaction score
Having a better OL and running game is one of the big off-season questions this offense faces. Without both, this offense will be more of what we saw the last half of last year.

IMO, Zeke is still here now only because of that contract. I have low expectations for his performance. Pollard MUST be given more touches and we may even need another back to help as well. Will be interesting.
... I still feel Zeke has few more 1k seasons left. He's coincidentally, similar to Dak. If OL plays well, they both benefit.

Redline360

Reaction score
As much as I also blamed Dak, you kinda have to go back and look at the game in which he lost. It wasn't his fault..

True, it seems he never shows up for big games. But everyone has to show up for it to matter.

I wasn't just talking one game. Cowboys have a better win percentage when we establish the run game and stick with it.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Those same blocking schemes were rolling over the NFL the first 8 weeks. Now all of a sudden they are bad schemes? Nonsense. Its obvious what changed and it had little to do with Moore. IN fact I am sure the guy tried everything he could. When you have an already slow Zeke even slower from injury and the line blocking poorly with 3 new guys in there, then its not going to matter what you do.

And when your falling behind early you simply cant run as much.

Slow!!!!!!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So they drafted Tyler Smith and the plan looks to be he’ll backup LT and start at LG. They also got Matt Waletzko who looks to be only a OT because he’s like 6 foot 7.

The team didn’t draft a RB, but they signed two UDFAs and just cut a FB. Zeke has the knee injury from last year, which I don’t know if that gets better. Also Pollard had the foot ligament tear that also scares me, but I think he recovers. My thoughts are they need a third RB. So does that mean the running game is on the back of UDFAs or is Zeke heathy again. I don’t know if Pollard can go 17 games with 20 carries. Then you have 3 more playoff games where you really want to have the best RB getting 25 carries a game. So the 3rd RB is pretty important with the longer season.

What’s the plan? Just go as long as the can with Zeke, Pollard, 3rd RB? Also what about Tyler it seams he’s a better fit at LG. Why wouldn’t they have Waletzko as the backup or swing OT?

The dc.com guys (Helman, etc.) said during the draft that fans would be shocked by how much the Cowboys coaches like Rico Dowdle.

Rico Dowdle
5-11, 213
UDFA 2020
Vert: 38" (Zeke 32-1/2")
Broad Jump: 10'7" (Zeke 9'10")

Tyler Smith will be the LG in 2022. McCarthy just does not want to make any declarations.

Josh Ball and Waldo will compete for the Swing Tackle spot.

They also have an OT that they kept on the practice squad all season, Aviante Collins.
- He ran the 3rd fasted forty of all time by an OLineman and had 34 bench reps.
- Back when he was draft eligible, he needed to get bigger because he was only 295 pounds.

They have Mitch Hyatt, a 2019 UDFA that they've kept around. He has been on IR a couple of times.

They had Isaac Alarcón (6-7, 320) on the practice squad for 2 seasons.
- He appeared to have NFL physical ability in the preseason, but was very raw due to playing in Mexico.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
bellichek, drafted 2 rb's, and I dont know what he had, but he either liked those 2,or is looking to see if he hits on a good one.
I think it’s that he knows you can’t go with just 3 RBs in a 20 game season anymore. You need 4 and 2-3 better be healthy at playoff time because they should get around 75 touches combined in the playoffs alone.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The dc.com guys (Helman, etc.) said during the draft that fans would be shocked by how much the Cowboys coaches like Rico Dowdle.
Based on what, practice?
I'm sorry, but when it comes to RBs I have major trust issues. They're awful at managing it.

morasp

Reaction score
I'm excited about the run game this season.

Zeke was performing at a high level (almost 5 yards per carry) before the injury and it's reasonable to expect him to be better this season with improved run blocking.. Pollard is one of the best COP backs in the league but they should have him on a snap count. Dowdle had some good snaps and should be back from injury this year and Hardy will probably some consideration.in training camp.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Is that bragging? When you have a rb that has lead the league in rushing in several previous seasons....that is an embarrassing stat.

A RB with torn PCL in his knee? That is hardly an embarrassment then again you are more interested in whining that looking at facts. I agree Dallas needs to be a bit more balanced, the notion that we do not run the ball? Is a joke when Dallas ranked 12th is rushing attempt and that did drop after Zeke knee injury.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A RB with torn PCL in his knee? That is hardly an embarrassment then again you are more interested in whining that looking at facts. I agree Dallas needs to be a bit more balanced, the notion that we do not run the ball? Is a joke when Dallas ranked 12th is rushing attempt and that did drop after Zeke knee injury.
No....I think I overstated my point and you took my comment wrong. I will once again say we are misusing a stat. I do think being 12th isn't that impressive even with injuries. I think this stat has more to do with play calling and design. Also.....not how much we run...but when and where and how.

You make a good point, we're middle of the pack in attempts.....kinda like we are in a lot of stats. :(

blueblood70

Reaction score
Injuries tend to be an actual fact to why this happens..its not bragging, its facts,

that despite all the injures and issues with the OL etc etc thats a respectable number. Sure it needs to be improvement but with our healthy complete backfield and an OL on their game we were great and 7-1 last year..it got derailed for many actual reasons. Those stats show when healthy this coming season we should get back on track..

anything else you need help with , let me know..i can post pictures if its easier for you to comprehend...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No....I think I overstated my point and you took my comment wrong. I will once again say we are misusing a stat. I do think being 12th isn't that impressive even with injuries. I think this stat has more to do with play calling and design. Also.....not how much we run...but when and where and how.

You make a good point, we're middle of the pack in attempts.....kinda like we are in a lot of stats. :(

I don't think I overstated anything, Cowboys had issue with OL and Zeke if you feel those are not contributing factors then so be it.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Injuries tend to be an actual fact to why this happens..its not bragging, its facts,

that despite all the injures and issues with the OL etc etc thats a respectable number. Sure it needs to be improvement but with our healthy complete backfield and an OL on their game we were great and 7-1 last year..it got derailed for many actual reasons. Those stats show when healthy this coming season we should get back on track..

anything else you need help with , let me know..i can post pictures if its easier for you to comprehend...
The season isn't 8 games long. The run game was complete trash and so was the O line.
It gets old hearing the "This half of the season" arguments like that matters.

What should concern fans is that we had our two best RB run into the ground last season with injuries with no reserve.
We didn't sign a FA RB or draft one for solid depth.
The offensive scheme isn't balanced or consistent.

In conclusion, if anyone is confic=dent going into this coming season with the status quo, you're blind.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
The plan? There is no plan.

I'm sure they would love to have a 2016 style offense. We all would, but you can't have the 2016 Cowboys offense with 2022 Zeke. You certainly can't have the 2016 Cowboys offense when you have turned into a pass first team either.

The fact of the matter is, until they stop playing guys base on pay, it will be business as usual.

Cole Beasley said it best when he left. He basically said the Cowboys don't always play the best player, but they do always play the highest paid ones.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Why does Philbin still have a job. This offensive line has sucked since he's been here.

blueblood70

Reaction score
... I still feel Zeke has few more 1k seasons left. He's coincidentally, similar to Dak. If OL plays well, they both benefit.
umm that's the blueprint for the entire 32 teams in the NFL OL-DL be successful , you win many games.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Why does Philbin still have a job. This offensive line has sucked since he's been here.
so 2020 had 11 different OL groups in 16 games ,many injuries all over ..the OL was decimated

last year had suspensions and issues with some injuries etc had to consonantly shuffle groups around. Hard to judge guy but hey call out a coach as if you are an NFL exec and know who should have jobs and who doesn't..you got that on copy and paste to make easier on you to post..