What's up with all the rap in the NFL????

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Everywhere I look all I see is rap music regarding the NFL. The half time shows, the video games and now Lavar Arrington is interviewing rappers on the NFL network after last night at the BET awards where he talked to rappers. I mean, do they think everyone who is an NFL fan likes this junk? I don't mind it being here and there but when I by Madden 2004 and all the background music is rap, I want to puke. Is it me or does anyone else find the same thing? Just wondering.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Everywhere I look all I see is rap music regarding the NFL. The half time shows, the video games and now Lavar Arrington is interviewing rappers on the NFL network after last night at the BET awards where he talked to rappers. I mean, do they think everyone who is an NFL fan likes this junk? I don't mind it being here and there but when I by Madden 2004 and all the background music is rap, I want to puke. Is it me or does anyone else find the same thing? Just wondering.

Well, Madden games are for kids, and kids like rap, just as the older generation liked rock or soul..I can't imagine anyone over 20 playing a video game myself, so we're probably both old geezers, Cajun. They won't sell much Madden with elevator music.

NFL players are young and they too like the music of their generation. Rap is the dominant voice of popular culture, and that highly sought after demographic that ends at age 35 prefers it to any other music.

Old fogey, or no, I don't consider rap "junk" myself, as hip hop got popularized across tha nation when I was in my 20's. I probably love Outkast as much as the players do. Tho I'm pretty old school in that area, because I've still heard nothing more compelling than A Tribe Called Quest.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Well, Madden games are for kids, and kids like rap, just as the older generation liked rock or soul..I can't imagine anyone over 20 playing a video game myself, so we're probably both old geezers, Cajun. They won't sell much Madden with elevator music.

NFL players are young and they too like the music of their generation. Rap is the dominant voice of popular culture, and that highly sought after demographic that ends at age 35 prefers it to any other music.

Old fogey, or no, I don't consider rap "junk" myself, as hip hop got popularized across tha nation when I was in my 20's. I probably love Outkast as much as the players do. Tho I'm pretty old school in that area, because I've still heard nothing more compelling than A Tribe Called Quest.

Reading your post make me feel old. But hey at 41 I love to play games with my kids and I just thought that there was way to much rap. I don't guess there is anything wrong with it as long as the lyrics are good but I can't understand them anyway. Just not my preference in music. Just wondered why there was such and enphasis on that particular style of music. And man, I am out of the target demographics already. Does that mean the telemarketers will stop calling me now? :confused:

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Reading your post make me feel old. But hey at 41 I love to play games with my kids and I just thought that there was way to much rap. I don't guess there is anything wrong with it as long as the lyrics are good but I can't understand them anyway. Just not my preference in music. Just wondered why there was such and enphasis on that particular style of music. And man, I am out of the target demographics already. Does that mean the telemarketers will stop calling me now? :confused:

We're both only a decade away from an AARP card, Cajun.

But hey, tell the telemarketers the minute you pick up the phone you're 41.

It might translate into some peace and quiet. :)

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
We're both only a decade away from an AARP card, Cajun.

But hey, tell the telemarketers the minute you pick up the phone you're 41.

It might translate into some peace and quiet. :)
You really know how to hurt a guy Tuna. First the Warner thing, now I'm old. Thanks.

VirusX

Reaction score
Its not just you "OLD" folk. Im 21 and this crap is pissing me off too. Past 2 years I listened to all the tracks like 2 times and turned the music settings all the way down. Ill listen to my Sirius stations thanks anyway. You'd think good old smash mouth football would be rock but not we gotta have us some Chingy or whatever those rappers names are. Nappy Roots wth? How about some metallica ? Staind?
Here's a marketing tip for a band trying to get started DONT PUT YOUR MUSIC ON MADDEN! Lol it gets replayed 900000 times and everyone hates it. Especially if you like me and spend hours in franchise mode listening to the same 10 songs over and over till you start to become balding from all the hair you just pulled out.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Well, if it were up to me I'd probably have some Bocephus on there but they don't call me for my input. Lucky you.

joseephuss

Reaction score
The NFL is always doing things to attract the younger markets. Rap and Hip-Hop music are good tools for that. They also use a lot of Pop music. That is why Britney Spears is asked to perform at halftime of a Superbowl or to kickoff the season. The constant blasts of rap, hip-hop, pop or any of the current music super stars may be a little too much for people who are just football fans or are just crotchety like old Cajun, but it increases the NFL fan base.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
The NFL is always doing things to attract the younger markets. Rap and Hip-Hop music are good tools for that. They also use a lot of Pop music. That is why Britney Spears is asked to perform at halftime of a Superbowl or to kickoff the season. The constant blasts of rap, hip-hop, pop or any of the current music super stars may be a little too much for people who are just football fans or are just crotchety like old Cajun, but it increases the NFL fan base.

Now you're calling my crotch old? I draw the line there. :mad:

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I understand they're doing it to attract the younger viewers and fans, but I still hate it.

I think they're overdoing it.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chief said:
I understand they're doing it to attract the younger viewers and fans, but I still hate it.

I think they're overdoing it.

I feel the same...I understand it...but for the most part the music is so generic.

joseephuss

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I feel the same...I understand it...but for the most part the music is so generic.

Most mainstream music is generic. Now matter what your personal tastes may be in music, the better stuff seems to receive less airtime. Isn't your favorite song on a CD the one that isn't played on the radio?

Reaction score
:rolleyes: All of you have made some very interesting points, but what's the point (rhetorical question)? None of you nor I can do anything about it. Sure the music played will attract various age groups; depending on the type of music played.

Traditionally, and rightfully so, Ive heard the Star Spangled Banner. Druring the gae I've heard rap/hip-hop, and rock (Queen - "We are the Champions of the World," "We will Rock You," and Kid Rock. On Monday Night Football ...
"Do You Want to Play some Football," was sung by a country music singer (Hank William???? unsure).

I think we key in on the music we like the least. But as far as I'm concerned, they can play opera music when the Philadelphia Eagles accept the Lombardi Trophy :rolleyes:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ARMAGEDDON EAGLE said:
:rolleyes: All of you have made some very interesting points, but what's the point (rhetorical question)? None of you nor I can do anything about it. Sure the music played will attract various age groups; depending on the type of music played.

Traditionally, and rightfully so, Ive heard the Star Spangled Banner. Druring the gae I've heard rap/hip-hop, and rock (Queen - "We are the Champions of the World," "We will Rock You," and Kid Rock. On Monday Night Football ...
"Do You Want to Play some Football," was sung by a country music singer (Hank William???? unsure).

I think we key in on the music we like the least. But as far as I'm concerned, they can play opera music when the Philadelphia Eagles accept the Lombardi Trophy :rolleyes:

Yep If I hate it bad enough...I can always hit the mute button and play a cd.

It is secondary...no matter how annoying it may be...same with some of the crews calling the games....I think the CBS football coverage is just terrible...from the Sunday morning Pre-Game show through the coverage of each game.

VirusX

Reaction score
Look at me im gonna make a new madden song.

--------------------Copyright 2004 VirusX-----------------------

Boom boom chickity boom boom boom clack. Bucka bucka bucka, Bab ba ba ba bucka, buh buh buh buh bucka. Boom boom chickity boom boom boom boom clack.
My name is virus and im here to say. I make ****ty music and I'd like to say. Oh mr.madden oh please dont play, my funky music cause I suck all day. word!
boom boom chickity boom boom boom clackity boom boom.

----------------------All right reserved---------------------------

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
...same with some of the crews calling the games....I think the CBS football coverage is just terrible...from the Sunday morning Pre-Game show through the coverage of each game.

Brain,

You've just nailed a major topic ...Crews that cover NFL games. Chris Collingsworth is so biases/subjective about his broadcasts. Madden is one of my favorites. I realize this is another subject, but you're absolutely right about differences in the way the games are called. :cool:

Reaction score
Instead of complaining why not just turn off the songs, that way u dont have to mute ur tv.....its as simple as that

as far as on the tv...turn the channel

People love to complain

VirusX

Reaction score
You didnt like my rap song? Lol. Thats what 98% of all rap sounds like to me.