Whats wrong in Big D in December

joseephuss

Reaction score
Shinywalrus;2480873 said:
Coincidence and natural variation. Football is not like baseball - it's subject to very small sample size, and even within those samples gets befuddled by exogenous factors like games that don't matter (last December) in the playoff hunt and injuries, etc.

What's most baffling is how everyone brings up the "last decade", as though it had anything to do with this year's Cowboys. The idea that there's something inherent to a franchise, beyond its players and coaching staff, 90% of whom have been here 4 or 5 years or less, that would induce struggles at a particular time of year is just absurd.

But ESPN talking heads love their pseudostats.

That is the truth. What Dallas did in December of 2000 has no bearing on what this current team has done or failed to do.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Turnovers is only the "apparent" problem. There is an underlying problem (that leads to the turnovers) and that problem is toughness.

Like notherbob said, toughness wins in december/january. And the cowboys lack toughness (especially mental toughness).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rack;2481027 said:
Turnovers is only the "apparent" problem. There is an underlying problem (that leads to the turnovers) and that problem is toughness.

Like notherbob said, toughness wins in december/january. And the cowboys lack toughness (especially mental toughness).
I would add mental mistake penalties like Illegal Procedure.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hostile;2481032 said:
I would add mental mistake penalties like Illegal Procedure.

Which occurs due to their lack of mental toughness.

You know what can help make a team "Tough"?

Leadership.

We get leadership, we'll get tougher. We get tougher we'll stop making mental mistakes and turning the ball over in december/january.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Rack;2481027 said:

Mental toughness or lack of mental toughness probably is a good reason why Dallas did not have success in 2006 and 2007.

Dallas did not have a problem with turnovers in the playoff game last year, but mental toughness did contribute to them not finishing up drives or the other little things that they could have done to win that game.

It also comes down to talent. Proctor has to play due to injury and he is just not good. He may be mentally tough, but that does not overcome that he is not a talented player. That is going to hurt a team especially when they play a strong defense where every yard and point is going to count. He doesn't have to be all world, but he is not even average. The old weakest link in the chain definitely applies to this guy and it brings the entire offense down in big games. Romo also chose to have his poorest game of the season. He was just off the entire game.

I know in 2005 the Dallas offense was in even worse shape. I don't question the mental toughness of Rob Pettiti or Torrin Tucker. They just were not good enough to be starters in the NFL. I would say they were probably very mentally tough just to make it to the NFL because I did not see overwhelming talent in either of them.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Jerry is the collective mindeset of a HEADLINE GRABBING, FLASHY, NON-DISCIPLINED FOOTBALL DUMMY that permeates into our club house (and coaching staff).

The reason why we suck late in the season is because that is when YOU SEE WHAT YOU REALLY ARE. Being good late in the season requires NOT FLASH AND HYPE but discipline, football smarts & mental toughness.

3 things we've lacked since the Triplets were in their prime .

Teams take on the personality of our LEADERS and sadly JERRY is our LEADER.

Ichill2;2479751 said:
Cowboy fans,

Slow down and think about this whole equation. We have the talent to win but winning starts from the top and trickles down..Yes, Jerry is a great owner but don't forget he is also GM-player personnel. Jerry wants to win with a yes sir coaching staff..Its not Wade's fault for being the type of coach he is, it was Jerry's for bringing in this type of coach (coaching staff). All the Boys need is to know how to stay focused (December/Jan) and how to close/win a game. Jerry has not brought in a coach that can tolerate his behavior. Even the great Parcells called it quits. Romo does not know how to manage the big game. He is trying to find his own way. Is Wade/Garrett the answer? No. We need a Coach that can control every aspect of the Team/Players. We need a Coach that can change the face of the team and not facelifts of the Owner/GM.

Ichill2

Reaction score
I totally agree.

I see replys as well from guys saying we don't have mental toughness, too many mistakes & penalties. These things all reflect coaching. You coach penalties, turnovers & mistakes. Jerry is in the way of the teams success. Jerry is driving but he's not the right person to get us thru Dec/Jan. Jerry won't give the keys up to the coach. He has called out the Barbarian. I just wish he could get out of the way and go ahead and coach this team. He wont let anyone else do it.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Shinywalrus;2480873 said:
Coincidence and natural variation.
I lean toward this explanation, seeing as how turnover ratio can vary wildly on the same team from one season to the next--no matter how tough they are.