What's wrong with Keith Davis?

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
he played well enough for me last season, yeah if Mike Huff fell to us id take him, but who wouldn't? what does he do that has everyone not liking him?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
kowboys 05 said:
he played well enough for me last season, yeah if Mike Huff fell to us id take him, but who wouldn't? what does he do that has everyone not liking him?
He just does not cover well. He plays like a SS not a FS and we have plenty of SS already. Other than that I like him; he is a ST demon.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
He is/was very raw...

he is started to see it at times...I think...question is..how long can we wait till he gets "it"

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
just doesnt offer much in coverage...limited range and virtually no ball skills

we really need a FS who can go after the ball in the air

David

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you would only look back at the first Washington game last season, you'll understand the importance of having a free safety like Davis providing deep cover against the likes of deep threats such as Moss. Cornerbacks can only do so much when your defensive line can't pressure the quarterback quickly enough.

parchy

Reaction score
In every game he played in last season, you can find a glaring example out of Davis of why he shouldn't be anywhere near the defensive backfield.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Davis is a poor man's version of Roy Williams. Less instinct, less quickness, less impact, less coverage ability .. and Roy isn't that great in coverage himself.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967 said:
just doesnt offer much in coverage...limited range and virtually no ball skills

we really need a FS who can go after the ball in the air

David

Exactly.

I would love a "Brock Marion" type.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reality said:
Davis is a poor man's version of Roy Williams. Less instinct, less quickness, less impact, less coverage ability .. and Roy isn't that great in coverage himself.
True. IMO, Roy is the He-Man of strong safeties. He can shut down the run as well as any linebacker, but his coverage skills have been average to date. All the more reason to get a free safety back there with him to offset his weakness.

The word 'weakness' and Roy Williams don't go well together, do they?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He isn't good enough and is the weak link on our D. He may be have been good enough for kowboys 05 but he wasn't near good enough for me.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasEast said:
True. IMO, Roy is the He-Man of strong safeties. He can shut down the run as well as any linebacker, but his coverage skills have been average to date. All the more reason to get a free safety back there with him to offset his weakness.

The word 'weakness' and Roy Williams don't go well together, do they?
I think Roy Williams is a great strong safety .. his only weakness in my opinion is his coverage ability which would be greatly helped by having a solid free safety behind him. Roy can cover underneath very well, he just doesn't have the speed to cover deep and he has trouble with speedy receivers running crossing patterns.

MONT17

Reaction score
Keith Davis had ZERO picks last year... your FS has to get some... if he wouldve had one last year I might be like give him time, but he is too valueable on TEAMS... and I cant wait for him to shut skins fans up by knocking some pork fat off Randel El... I think with the last name Randel El he doesnt eat pork... so thats going to be some hittin!!!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please give me a FS that can cover a slot receiver. That would make our base 3-4 so much more effective.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Part of Davis's problem was that Parcells needed him on ST and starting taking reps from him to better save him from being worn out but we do need a good FS and Brock Marion is n't what he once was.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I am a little puzzled about the distain for Keith Davis at fs myself. I am not sure any rookie would have played better. And he was a rookie,, in that spot. I personally think the man has skills and will flourish given time to learn. D.Ware for example.. showed signs of being a total beast,, and he showed signs of being a complete bust too. It takes time to learn a position at the NFL level. I am not sure drafting a rookie would provide any more benefits than a 2nd year player or provide any better upside. I just can't see wasting the athlethic ability of K. Davis only on ST. I think he can contribute more given the chance.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Cowboy4ever said:
I am a little puzzled about the distain for Keith Davis at fs myself. I am not sure any rookie would have played better. And he was a rookie,, in that spot. I personally think the man has skills and will flourish given time to learn. D.Ware for example.. showed signs of being a total beast,, and he showed signs of being a complete bust too. It takes time to learn a position at the NFL level. I am not sure drafting a rookie would provide any more benefits than a 2nd year player or provide any better upside. I just can't see wasting the athlethic ability of K. Davis only on ST. I think he can contribute more given the chance.

Keith Davis is much more of a SS type. His coverage skills are alot worse than most rookie FSs. Heck, Roy Williams covers skills were actually better in his rookie year.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I used to say inexperience and that could still ring true for the most part. However the guy did not improve at all last year in coverage. I would of expected to of heard his name called in at least one pass break up/defended. Didn't happen. Didn't see any improvement at all honestly.
I'd pay him a million a year for the ST though. Guy's an animal.

Maybe it'll happen this year.........who knows.

twa

Reaction score
thats7 said:
I used to say inexperience and that could still ring true for the most part. However the guy did not improve at all last year in coverage. I would of expected to of heard his name called in at least one pass break up/defended. Didn't happen. Didn't see any improvement at all honestly.
I'd pay him a million a year for the ST though. Guy's an animal.

Maybe it'll happen this year.........who knows.

We can always hope,but if we can find someone with the instincts or ability to cover we ALL would feel more comfortable. The kid is out of position way too much,whether from bad reads or over aggressiveness:bang2: