What's your favorite personnel grouping for this team?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
The way the league is going..."10" personel is the new wave. It's killed base defenses. Killed the 3-4 D by spreading people out and causing mis-matches. "10" personel has forced defenses to match up...or get destroyed in a numbers game. Lbers covering WRs ain't happening.:rolleyes:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any formation that ends in a TD for us. :laugh:

I need to look at the article first, just do not have the time right now. Need to head out soon to do some things.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Any formation that ends in a TD for us. :laugh:

I need to look at the article first, just do not have the time right now. Need to head out soon to do some things.

LOL smarty pants, you don't get off THAT easy. Come on...what's your take?

Cowboy06

Reaction score
With the talent available on the offense, should we look to do something different? Why do we keep doing the same thing and expecting different results? Even if the results are good, do we not want to do better?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
If we were good enough, it'd be 00. Nothing would make me happier than to just see us march up and down the field on a team with 5 WR's on the field.

In reality, 11 is probably the most practical.

3 WR's, 1 TE, 1 RB. You should be able to do anything from that set.

Cowboy06

Reaction score
If we were good enough, it'd be 00. Nothing would make me happier than to just see us march up and down the field on a team with 5 WR's on the field.

In reality, 11 is probably the most practical.

3 WR's, 1 TE, 1 RB. You should be able to do anything from that set.

I like the occasional 4 WRs and one running back...It's fun watching a defense have to call timeout when they can't match us up. With EE, if he is all that, we can create a mismatch.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I like 11. It gives you the most overall options. You can run out of 11 personnel because you have 3 WR's possibly stretch the defense and a TE to help with the run blocking. You can also use a wham block with the TE and fake the wham block run and throw an outlet pass to the TE who often goes uncovered on those wham fakes.

You can have the Y-receiver and the TE on the same side and run a bubble screen. You still have play action available and you can stretch the field with you X, Y or Z receiver. You can have the TE go out for a pass, block and release, help with pass pro or rub and release the DE. If you can spot the coverage and get a favorable matchup, you can line up the TE out wide and win the matchup there.

I've always like the concept of 12 personnel, but to get its full effect you really need two versatile TE's that can catch, that have good foot speed that can run block and pass protect. And if you can get a Jim Kleinsasser type that line up in the F-Back position...now you're really got something. Problem is that it's nearly impossible to find 2 versatile TE's and these days it's becoming hard to find 1 versatile TE.

YR

VACowboy

Reaction score
11, no two ways. Gets all our best offensive players on the field and offers by far the most flexibility.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
11, no two ways. Gets all our best offensive players on the field and offers by far the most flexibility.

agree, but anything but the jumbo, or 12 personel ? with no wr. I really dont like that formation.

Craig

Reaction score
Depends on the situation. Personally i think they should be running a lot of 12 packages this year if all goes well.

Craig

Reaction score
With the talent available on the offense, should we look to do something different? Why do we keep doing the same thing and expecting different results? Even if the results are good, do we not want to do better?

I guess thats why they drafted the guy thats gonna make everyone forget about AP.

Cowboy06

Reaction score
I guess thats why they drafted the guy thats gonna make everyone forget about AP.

Man I hope so. However, I would love to see them really try new things with the staff. I'm curious to see what the chemistry will be like with this team.

SHAMSzy

Reaction score
11 (1 RB / 1 TE / 3 WR) -
Zeke / Witten / Dez / T Will / Beasley
[Best overall, could run this formation in any scenario]

12 (1 RB / 2 TE / 2 WR) -
Zeke / Witten / Hanna / Dez / T Will
[Power football, play action football for slants / posts with safeties moving up to help on the run.. Love this on first & second down + 3rd and short]

01 (1 TE / 4 WR) -
Witten / Dez / T Will / Beasley / Butler
[Romo is killer in the empty set on 3rd downs, but it hurts to take Zeke off the field, like this on 3rd and mediums, would prefer a RB in the backfield with Tony on 3rd and long and 3rd and short]

22 (2 RB / 2 TE / 1 WR)
Zeke / McFadden or Dunbar / Witten / Hanna / Dez
[Could get really scary for defenses if this coaching staff could find a way to utilize Zeke + McFadden or Dunbar with a power package of 2 TE's while you still have to worry about Witten / Dez pass catching. Imagine having to worry about two different runners in a power formation, an unstoppable 1 on 1 WR, a TE that will always find his way open, and two RB's who are great at pass catching.. Could be a very very tough formation to stop]

Craig

Reaction score
If elliott is what they say he is, i dont see a reason for an empty backfield outside of end of game prayer plays.

Cowboy06

Reaction score
11 (1 RB / 1 TE / 3 WR) -
Zeke / Witten / Dez / T Will / Beasley
[Best overall, could run this formation in any scenario]

12 (1 RB / 2 TE / 2 WR) -
Zeke / Witten / Hanna / Dez / T Will
[Power football, play action football for slants / posts with safeties moving up to help on the run.. Love this on first & second down + 3rd and short]

01 (1 TE / 4 WR) -
Witten / Dez / T Will / Beasley / Butler
[Romo is killer in the empty set on 3rd downs, but it hurts to take Zeke off the field, like this on 3rd and mediums, would prefer a RB in the backfield with Tony on 3rd and long and 3rd and short]

22 (2 RB / 2 TE / 1 WR)
Zeke / McFadden or Dunbar / Witten / Hanna / Dez
[Could get really scary for defenses if this coaching staff could find a way to utilize Zeke + McFadden or Dunbar with a power package of 2 TE's while you still have to worry about Witten / Dez pass catching. Imagine having to worry about two different runners in a power formation, an unstoppable 1 on 1 WR, a TE that will always find his way open, and two RB's who are great at pass catching.. Could be a very very tough formation to stop]

I would like to see Morris or the rookie as the 2nd back. I'm rooting for them both. I would also like to see Witten get pushed out of the picture. Not because I'm not a fan, but his production is just not there anymore. We need another TE to step up.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Having Zeke is going to open up so much. We will be able to run any play from any formation.