When and how did the Cowboys become a well run organization?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yep Romo is still the QB and we have already won our 6th Superbowl and working on our 7th.
Do you really believe that the main reason we have won the last 3 years is Dak?
Check the roster look up a guy called Zeke,Martin,Smith,Dlaw,Coop,Dez,Byron,Fred,Wolfman, then you might find Dak's name lingering around....
No way romo is still playing. Zero chance

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
It probably goes back to the Parcel's days. Bill was a big influence on Stephen.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Yep Romo is still the QB and we have already won our 6th Superbowl and working on our 7th.
Do you really believe that the main reason we have won the last 3 years is Dak?
Check the roster look up a guy called Zeke,Martin,Smith,Dlaw,Coop,Dez,Byron,Fred,Wolfman, then you might find Dak's name lingering around....

Inventing a fantasy and treating it as factual doesn't make it a fact.

Garrett and Linehan outsmart the Hoodie? Marinelli shuts down the GOAT? That's a nice fantasy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The OP ponders the when and how then the usual bickering breaks out about the who, just like clockwork. Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, Wil McClay, Jason Garrett, upgraded scouting and coaching, both current and ex-players, etc., are all responsible for the return of apparent organizational stability. Not surprisingly, personal self-polarization prevents some members from admitting truth is sometimes multi-faceted.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We all know the history of the Jerry Jones Cowboys. Hires Jimmy Johnson, does fantastic. After Johnson gets fired, the next 10-20 years were all about Jerry's ego. Some horrible drafts, crappy free agent decisions, bad coaching hires, overpaying washed up vets trying to chase the past, etc. The moment of clarity that was the Parcells hire brought in Ware, Witten, Romo, etc. but that kind of washed away as the team slid back into Jerryness.

Its painful as a Cowboys fan to admit but for a lot of the period from 1993-2013 or so, the Cowboys were not a well run team.

Something happened though. I can't really put my finger on a date. There is no one in the organization that I can say was hired that caused the turnaround. That said, they now:
- Draft extraordinarily well. Don't let a few missed picks bother you. Drafting is hard and even the best at it have their share of misses. If you can get a hit 50% of the time you are really good.
- Don't overpay people on the downside of their careers.
- Started hiring younger, out of the box thinkers (Moore, Richard)
- Stopped chasing free agents who were going to get overpaid

What happened? Are they just lucky? Is Stephen Jones really a genius and is taking over? Is there some really smart guy buried in the organization like a Gil Brandt that is making everyone look good? Did Jerry just learn how this all works?

The thing that we, as Cowboy fans should be encouraged by is that what is going on doesn't look like a flash in the pan. This looks like an organization that is well run and that means its sustainable. I know everyone hates the Squealers and Cheatriots but those organizations have a total of 2 losing seasons between them this century. Even in this age of parity, its possible to have sustained success.
It’s actually really easy to point to where the credit and improved process begin which most agree were in the better drafts beginning in 2011.

There were two key components with the Cowboys who received promotions that season. The answer resides there.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
The turnaround started with parcells. That’s when we started making better draft decisions. Didn’t parcells draft Witten?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We all know the history of the Jerry Jones Cowboys. Hires Jimmy Johnson, does fantastic. After Johnson gets fired, the next 10-20 years were all about Jerry's ego. Some horrible drafts, crappy free agent decisions, bad coaching hires, overpaying washed up vets trying to chase the past, etc. The moment of clarity that was the Parcells hire brought in Ware, Witten, Romo, etc. but that kind of washed away as the team slid back into Jerryness.

Its painful as a Cowboys fan to admit but for a lot of the period from 1993-2013 or so, the Cowboys were not a well run team.

Something happened though. I can't really put my finger on a date. There is no one in the organization that I can say was hired that caused the turnaround. That said, they now:
- Draft extraordinarily well. Don't let a few missed picks bother you. Drafting is hard and even the best at it have their share of misses. If you can get a hit 50% of the time you are really good.

What happened? Are they just lucky? Is Stephen Jones really a genius and is taking over? Is there some really smart guy buried in the organization like a Gil Brandt that is making everyone look good? Did Jerry just learn how this all works?

The thing that we, as Cowboy fans should be encouraged by is that what is going on doesn't look like a flash in the pan. This looks like an organization that is well run and that means its sustainable. I know everyone hates the Squealers and Cheatriots but those organizations have a total of 2 losing seasons between them this century. Even in this age of parity, its possible to have sustained success.

More Stephen Jones + Will McClay = better run organization.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Must go back to this thread in January . That's when we'll know if things truly changed. We miss the playoffs or it's one and done again and it will be the same old thing.

This is the typical reaction whenever they beat a very poor team..... 'this team is well run', 'Garrett is the greatest coach ever', 'Dak is a sure hall of famer', and the best of all after game #1, 'we're going to the super bowl'.

They kicked the crap out of a team they had no business losing to. Yes, they did a few things on offense that caught my eye, but like someone on 105.3 here in DFW said, its not like there was constant movement on every play, and the plays seemed very familiar for the most part. The Giants simply have a bad defense and Dak was able to have success.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
This is the typical reaction whenever they beat a very poor team..... 'this team is well run', 'Garrett is the greatest coach ever', 'Dak is a sure hall of famer', and the best of all after game #1, 'we're going to the super bowl'.

They kicked the crap out of a team they had no business losing to. Yes, they did a few things on offense that caught my eye, but like someone on 105.3 here in DFW said, its not like there was constant movement on every play, and the plays seemed very familiar for the most part. The Giants simply have a bad defense and Dak was able to have success.

I'm not the knee jerk type. For much of Jerry's career, he was a short term thinker. What do you do NOW to win and forget the future. The old Jerry would have taken this team and spent all the capspace on free agents, then signed whomever he could to backloaded contracts and then in 2-3 years, watch the whole thing blow up.

The cowboys probably aren't going to or winning a super bowl this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even win the division. They have a noticeable issue with their defensive line. Everything isn't roses.

That said, the overall organization is just more . . . competent than it was for large sections of Jerry's tenure. He was able to cruise off the Jimmy Johnson years for a while and that covered up just how incompetent he was. The crap we dealt with during the Campo / Gailey / Quincey Carter years was just painful. Remember the year that the Cowboys were concerned with their defensive backfield so they drafted almost all DB's and none of them panned out?

I'm just curious as to why there has been a fundamental shift in how the organization thinks. Lots of good comments in this thread. Stephen Jones, Garrett, Will McClay, etc.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
I remember when we drafted Fredbeard ........ there was an uproar about how he would have been there in the 3rd round........ that we wasted a 1st round pick.

Yeah, to this day I'm still eating crow. I stayed up late to watch us draft a damn Center?!? Really?!

Boy, was I wrong lol

ejthedj

Reaction score

It started with Parcells... But it really been Garrett. Yet our fan base hates him. Clueless

Sydla

Reaction score
Actually Dak was scouted very thoroughly by the FO and Garrett himself whom I remember reading that he was very interested in him at Mississippi State

True.

But they liked Lynch and Connor Cook better. In fact, if the Raiders hadn't gone stupid and taken Cook right before us, we probably would have taken Cook and Prescott might be somewhere else.

So luck absolutely was a big factor here.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Getting Dak was nothing but luck.

Sure luck was involved, but the Cowboys aren't throwing darts at a list of names and drafting whatever name the dart hits. They still have to make the choices when their turn comes up. Dak turned out to be a good one.