When building a roster: WWBBD

Flamma

Reaction score
You think Belichick is signing Dak for his contract demands? Why?

You also think he wouldn’t sign Byron? He overpaid for Gillmore when most people, besides myself, thought he wasn’t anything special.

Btw, didn’t they bring Dez in for a workout? Maybe Dez didn’t want to play at the time and BB figured that out. Sean Payton eventually signed him anyways.

He would have let Tank walk. He would have let Cooper walk. He would not have paid Zeke. Now what's he going to do with Dak?

garyo1954

Reaction score
He must have a lot of faith in Jarrett Stidham and Cody Kessler because that's what he's got behind Brady.

Give this a read.....Bill keeps drafting good QBs because he's bored......

"Sunday we saw Jacoby Brissett, who used to be a Patriots quarterback, return from injury and lead the Colts to a win after taking back the reins from Brian Hoyer, who used to be a Patriots quarterback. Elsewhere, Jimmy Garoppolo, who used to be a Patriots quarterback, engineered a game-winning drive to squeak past the Cardinals, who are coached by Kliff Kingsbury, who used to be a Patriots quarterback. In Washington, offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell, who used to be a Patriots quarterback, saw his unit sputter out in a loss to the Jets. And finally, New England pulled out a win despite a lackluster performance from Tom Brady, who is currently the Patriots’ quarterback."

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/11/21...fl-draft-picks-quarterback-tom-brady-dorktown

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
When our front office is making decisions about who to keep and who to let go of on our roster; which FA to sign, which to avoid...I wish that our decision makers would consider this: “What Would Bill Belechick Do?”

I’m still amazed how many of our fans on this forum think Bill Belechick is lucky just because he’s had Tom Brady. Or that his coaching genius alone is his key to success. Let’s examine this:
  • Sure having Tom Brady as their QB has been an advantage but in this cap era, you can’t win 6 SBs over 19 seasons just because you have a great QB. Each of his SB teams have had a ton of different players.
  • Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees each only have one SB win, proving that building a successful roster takes more than just a star QB.
  • Playing in over half of your conference’s championship games the last two decades isn’t just about Tom Brady or being lucky. It’s about BB and his ability to put together a new roster every year because he constantly churns his roster without any sentimentality.
Belechick’s roster genius is his ability to evaluate each player on his roster with cold-blood in his veins. He doesn’t give a rat’s arse what you did last year if you’re going to cost too much or may lose a step. BB keeps his eyes on the present and future, not the past. Our lifetime contract FO treats their roster more like a family reunion than a football team.

So when considering some of the Cowboys roster ideas I see being considered on this forum, WWBBD?
  • Dez Bryant: WWBBD? Not sign him. Period. Take out the sentimental reasons to bring back one of our favorites to somehow be a “4th receiver” is just stupid. Good FOs don’t make moves like this. In a talent starved league like the NFL, if Dez still was still legit, someone would have already signed him.
  • Jason Witten- Would Belechick have signed him in 2019? No. Did his inclusion on our roster really help this team? Not really. We resigned Witten because our owner had a soft spot for him.
  • Tyrone Crawford- I think BB would have cut him last year.

• Dak Prescott- I think BB would have already resigned him. The Jones boys act like they are “not going to set the market” and yet make a questionable high dollar deal with their star RB that sets the market...a year earlier than they had to.
  • Byron Jones- this one is a little trickier. I think BB would probably let him walk as he has with many of his former star defenders because of cost. But I’m not sure.
This list could go on and on...And I’m of course just guessing what BB would do and I could certainly be wrong on all of these- except Dez and Witten, lol.

Your thoughts?

We don't build a team the way BB does.

He pays his DB's and goes cheaper on the Dline while still investing in it. We simply do it the opposite.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I hear JJ and SJ talk about roster moves, contracts and what they’re going to do vs what they actually end up doing is a crapshoot.

I think Jerry just likes to scattershoot and feel important at the combine. Stephen seems to be a little more thoughtful about what he says. But in the end, this FO does not seem to have a year in year out solid philosophy to build a quality roster. Their philosophy seems more emotional than strategic.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All those thoughts are nice. But this isn’t the patriots and we don’t have bill. The patriots btw have cheated a lot, and play the dolphins the jets and the bills. The “patriots way” wouldn’t work here.
You're right, this isnt the patriots. But my premise is based on “What if BB were in charge here?” If you’re saying Jerry wouldn’t allow a more cold and calculating decision making process to happen here, what is our hope for a better future?

I know Bill B would never come here and JJ would never want a spotlight stealer again. But can’t we hope for a more “Belechick-like” approach to roster development?

kskboys

Reaction score
He would have let Tank walk. He would have let Cooper walk. He would not have paid Zeke. Now what's he going to do with Dak?
Dak would've known from the start that he was not getting some stupid contract. So, he'd have either played for 28-30 mil, or Belly would've trade him for a passel of picks.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I disagree. Bill wouldn't be in this situation if he were in Dallas. He'd have someone behind Dak that could step in and give us quality snaps and win some games. Bill is all about "Next Man Up."

I don’t know. He doesn’t have a QB right now and his best hope is signing a way past his prime 43-year-old who is playing games with free agency because he cannot be franchised.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know what he wouldn't do: pay a bunch of guys who have won nothing. There seems to be a "he's the best player we have at that position, so we have to pay him" mentality in Dallas (and in part of the fan base). That's not a reason to make a guy one of the highest paid in the NFL at his position.

The only guys you should put among the highest paid at their positions are the best at their positions, not the best you have at it. It's as if paying these guys will make them better, take your team farther, which is ridiculous.
Well said. I bolded your comment, “There seems to be a "he's the best player we have at that position, so we have to pay him" mentality in Dallas (and in part of the fan base). That's not a reason to make a guy one of the highest paid in the NFL at his position.”

Sadly, this seems to be the thinking around here. (“We haven’t won anything with Zeke or Coop but we better resign them”) It’s almost like our FO and fans think we done something special the last few years.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
When our front office is making decisions about who to keep and who to let go of on our roster; which FA to sign, which to avoid...I wish that our decision makers would consider this: “What Would Bill Belechick Do?”

I’m still amazed how many of our fans on this forum think Bill Belechick is lucky just because he’s had Tom Brady. Or that his coaching genius alone is his key to success. Let’s examine this:
  • Sure having Tom Brady as their QB has been an advantage but in this cap era, you can’t win 6 SBs over 19 seasons just because you have a great QB. Each of his SB teams have had a ton of different players.
  • Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees each only have one SB win, proving that building a successful roster takes more than just a star QB.
  • Playing in over half of your conference’s championship games the last two decades isn’t just about Tom Brady or being lucky. It’s about BB and his ability to put together a new roster every year because he constantly churns his roster without any sentimentality.
Belechick’s roster genius is his ability to evaluate each player on his roster with cold-blood in his veins. He doesn’t give a rat’s arse what you did last year if you’re going to cost too much or may lose a step. BB keeps his eyes on the present and future, not the past. Our lifetime contract FO treats their roster more like a family reunion than a football team.

So when considering some of the Cowboys roster ideas I see being considered on this forum, WWBBD?
  • Dez Bryant: WWBBD? Not sign him. Period. Take out the sentimental reasons to bring back one of our favorites to somehow be a “4th receiver” is just stupid. Good FOs don’t make moves like this. In a talent starved league like the NFL, if Dez still was still legit, someone would have already signed him.
  • Jason Witten- Would Belechick have signed him in 2019? No. Did his inclusion on our roster really help this team? Not really. We resigned Witten because our owner had a soft spot for him.
  • Tyrone Crawford- I think BB would have cut him last year.

• Dak Prescott- I think BB would have already resigned him. The Jones boys act like they are “not going to set the market” and yet make a questionable high dollar deal with their star RB that sets the market...a year earlier than they had to.
  • Byron Jones- this one is a little trickier. I think BB would probably let him walk as he has with many of his former star defenders because of cost. But I’m not sure.
This list could go on and on...And I’m of course just guessing what BB would do and I could certainly be wrong on all of these- except Dez and Witten, lol.

Your thoughts?
Yes generally agree, what I would add and to me just as important, is the culture that he brings.

His teams hold each other accountable and strive to always get better, I remember I think it was the 07 season - they were putting up 40 -50 points like it was nothing. They just beat some team like 52 to 10 or something and when they interviewed the players - to a man the reply was - yeah there were things we still need to clean up, we missed some assignments on D ect.

Now, dont mean to bring up Garrett but, I always hated hearing him when he gave that line - "I always tell my players how hard it is to win in the NFL"
Thats a built in excuse and a defeatist mentality.

Between that and the culture that Jerry creates.....not very conducive for winning football...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes generally agree, what I would add and to me just as important, is the culture that he brings.

His teams hold each other accountable and strive to always get better, I remember I think it was the 07 season - they were putting up 40 -50 points like it was nothing. They just beat some team like 52 to 10 or something and when they interviewed the players - to a man the reply was - yeah there were things we still need to clean up, we missed some assignments on D ect.

Now, dont mean to bring up Garrett but, I always hated hearing him when he gave that line - "I always tell my players how hard it is to win in the NFL"
Thats a built in excuse and a defeatist mentality.

Between that and the culture that Jerry creates.....not very conducive for winning football...
Great points, especially about culture and accountability. The culture in Dallas under Jerry has become one of the softest in the NFL.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well said. I bolded your comment, “There seems to be a "he's the best player we have at that position, so we have to pay him" mentality in Dallas (and in part of the fan base). That's not a reason to make a guy one of the highest paid in the NFL at his position.”

Sadly, this seems to be the thinking around here. (“We haven’t won anything with Zeke or Coop but we better resign them”) It’s almost like our FO and fans think we done something special the last few years.
I've noticed that. Most people don't appear to be able to see the big pic. If we paid Dak 40/year, that would most likely keep us from advancing. That's why we're having contract negotiations. Has nothing to do w/ greed or anything like that on the org's part, though I can't say the same for Dak's side.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
All those thoughts are nice. But this isn’t the patriots and we don’t have bill. The patriots btw have cheated a lot, and play the dolphins the jets and the bills. The “patriots way” wouldn’t work here.

Yeah, those same Jets and Bills that beat Dallas.

You need to remember those only account for 6 games on the Pats schedule. They still have to do well in 10 other games outside of their crappy division.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You think Belichick is signing Dak for his contract demands? Why?

You also think he wouldn’t sign Byron? He overpaid for Gillmore when most people, besides myself, thought he wasn’t anything special.

Btw, didn’t they bring Dez in for a workout? Maybe Dez didn’t want to play at the time and BB figured that out. Sean Payton eventually signed him anyways.
LOL, Gilmore is much, much more productive than Jones.

Blake

Reaction score
Beli is not immune to poor decisions....

He did bring in Galloway and Chad "OchoCinco" past their primes and were big busts.
They had their own version of Witten this past season, "the almost as old as Brady" Ben Watson. He was their draft pick in 2004 and brought him back last season even after saying he was going to retire after playing in NO.

BB gave them an opportunity to come in and contribute to an already prestigious franchise that was fine with or without them. Is soon as BB sees a player isn't worth the hassle he cuts bait instead of clinging on for nostalgia purposes.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've noticed that. Most people don't appear to be able to see the big pic. If we paid Dak 40/year, that would most likely keep us from advancing. That's why we're having contract negotiations. Has nothing to do w/ greed or anything like that on the org's part, though I can't say the same for Dak's side.
Yes. And contracts like the one Zeke got are having huge ramifications for the Dak deal. I firmly believe if this team had approached Dak going into the 2019 season he would have signed for a lot less and for a better structure. Our decision makers seem more reactive than proactive.

kskboys

Reaction score
We don't build a team the way BB does.

He pays his DB's and goes cheaper on the Dline while still investing in it. We simply do it the opposite.
No, he doesn't. Gilmore is one of the very few DB's he's paid. He's let a ton of them walk over the years.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes. And contracts like the one Zeke got are having huge ramifications for the Dak deal. I firmly believe if this team had approached Dak going into the 2019 season he would have signed for a lot less and for a better structure. Our decision makers seem more reactive than proactive.
I thought they did?