When is the last time a player was demoted?

dwreck27

Reaction score
Witten should be benched

Connor William's should be benched

Heath should be cut

Garrett should be demoted to water boy

Marinelli should be put in a senior home

all of this...

The sad part is Witten knowingly came back saying he just wanted to be a guy on the team and just help out..

this staff all but gifted his old job and reps...

I cant stand Heath

Connor tries but he needs to just be a 1st off the bench back up for the interior postions

InTheZone

Reaction score
Question for the Zoners. When is the last time a player lost his job solely based on performance? Nothing about injury or off field issues. Just performance. I honestly can’t come up with one
Anthony Brown

edit: twice actually

robjay04

Reaction score
Question for the Zoners. When is the last time a player lost his job solely based on performance? Nothing about injury or off field issues. Just performance. I honestly can’t come up with one

when we were losing in 2017, I remember there being a big shakeup in our secondary.

ironically..Byron Jones May be the answer to your question.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Faulty acquisitions are as much a problem as a lack of demotions.:grin:
Certainly, an occasional demotion could easily be justifiable, also.:thumbup:

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Chaz green for sure a few plays too late but..

im pretty sure we had a lot of Corners and safetys get sat down or lose playing time as well..

Im sure M Jenkins, MoC, Oscan, Jarwin to witten ;as Jarwin the starter last year? Lee was healthy to play and LVE/Smith took his primary roles, and others

too many to really remember but theres enough..like I said before no team benches their stars unless they are HORRIBLE I mean so bad a backup could take his job..

you dont see it much in this league to stars, no rotational and borderline good players get replaced for sure..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good question.

I would make the question specific to demoted without an injury being the issue.

Lee - Injury Related
Romo - Injury Related
T.Williams - Injury Related
Connor Williams (2018) - Injury Related (partially)
Heath - Injury Related
CB Brown - Injury Related
Jarwin - Witten re-signed
Crawford - Became non-starter when Quinn returned but Crawford had injury issues.

Allen Hurns:
Was top 2 in WR snaps played to start the season.
Became the 3rd WR in snaps played before Cooper arrived.
Become the 4th WR in snaps played after Cooper arrived.

Taco:
He started the first 7 games in 2018.
Crawford had started the first 7 games at DT.
Collins was healthy enough to start at DT for game 8.
Crawford moved back to RDE as the starter.
Taco reacted badly to the "demotion" which caused him to be inactive for game 9.
It is not certain if game 8 was really a demotion for just Crawford moving back to RDE where he had started in 2017.

New Starters in the past 2 seasons:
X.Woods - Jones moved to CB.
A.Woods - They didn't really have an incumbent 1-tech DT. Paea/Price injured in 2017 forcing Collins to play 1-tech.
B.Jones at CB - Scandrick gone from previous season.
Quinn - Free Agent that replaced Crawford as the starter at RDE.
Connor Williams - Jonathan Cooper not re-signed.
Witten - Just got his old job back.
Gallup - Bypassed Hurns.
Cooper - Added in trade.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Dave Campo was demoted for wearing platform shoes on the sidelines.

leeblair

Reaction score
Matt Cassel, 2015.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It wasn’t Parcells who benched Drew and initiated the Romo era ......... it was JJ. The INT Bledsoe threw in the end zone just before halftime against the Giants was the straw that pi$$ed Jerry off and made him go down to the field IIRC.
While it was the INT in the endone that was the last straw. It was 100% Parcell's call. I remember it vividly. TV showed Parcell's face after the INT and you could read the look on his face and know it was coming. It was actually a look of sadness, in knowing that he was likely ending a career of a player he'd known for a long time. I distinctly remember seeing that shot and turning to my friend and sayin "Holy ** he's going to put Romo in!" At the start of the 3rd, in comes #9. JJ had nothing to do with it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
IT is football mentality, once a player makes a good impression , has some good games or good season, that is his image from then onward.
people will always see that original player that did good.
Hence elliot fans, they still see 2016 elliot.
So due to that players are never demoted or benched, it does happen rarely, but not as often as it should.
Lot of guys on the bench in nfl that could do better than starters, but they wont ever get a chance.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Garrett holds everyone accountable behind closed doors and tells players if you don't play better you're going to have to deal with my clap. The clap by far is the most powerful corrective action tool in all of sports and far worse than being benched.

:clap: