CFZ When “the good old days” aren’t so good

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey I’m 64 and remember the “good old days”. NFL Football and football in general was a lot more physical “back in the day”. Sometimes “the good old days” aren’t so good.

With all we’ve learned about brain injuries, the importance of hydration during practices and the importance of getting better rest in maximizing performance, the “good old days” are not so good when it comes to football.

In my brief days as a football player as a schoolboy, we practiced two a days in extreme heat with no water, were issued salt tablets to “replace the salt you sweated out”, and had full on padded practices almost all week before games. Coaches called players wimps (or worse) for needing water.

We know now from research that is a very foolish and dangerous way to prepare football players.

This time of year, we see lots of fans calling for the Cowboys to play our starters in some pre-season game action to “get the reps” and to “work on timing”. I disagree. In fact, I see that as some of the “old school” thinking we need to get away from. Modern players don’t need the same preparation rituals we used in the 60s through the early 2000s.

The calls for Dak and other key performers to play this ps is not smart IMO. Last year Dak did not take a single snap in a ps game and came out on opening night and threw for 400 yards and 3 TDs. We should have won the game if we had had a kicker who could make XPs.

I say let’s remember the “good ol days” fondly. But also move on into the modern era.

Last edited:

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Football was much more fun to watch back in the 70’s. It probably wasn’t more fun for the players from a safety standpoint though. It’s gotten too watered down, especially when it comes to the QB. If you so much as graze the QB’s helmet with a finger, it’s 15 yards. That’s ridiculous.

Aven8

Reaction score
Salt tablets! Man I forgot about those. I puked those up a lot on the practice field for sure.

We had those two a days to get in shape. These dudes train year round and throw/catch/run all offseason. The college game doesn’t have PS games and they do just fine. I think practicing against other teams is genius which eliminates the need to play in these PS games for sure.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hey I’m 64 and remember how in the “good old days” football was much more physical the NFL and football in general was “back in the day”. Sometimes “the good old days” aren’t so good.

With all we’ve learned about brain injuries, the importance of hydration during practices and the importance of getting better rest plays in maximizing performance, the “good old days” are not so good when it comes to football.

In my brief days as a football player as a schoolboy, we practiced two a days in extreme heat with no water, were issued salt tablets to “replace the salt you sweated out”, and had full on padded practices almost all week before games. Coaches called players wimps (or worse) for needing water.

We know now from research that is a very foolish and dangerous way to prepare football players.

This time of year, we see lots of fans calling for the Cowboys to play our starters in some pre-season game action to “get the reps” and to “work on timing”. I disagree. In fact, I see that as some of the “old school” thinking we need to get away from. Modern players don’t need the same preparation rituals we used in the 60s through the early 2000s.

The calls for Dak and other key performers to play this ps is not smart IMO. Last year Dak did not take a single snap in a ps game and came out on opening night and threw for 400 yards and 3 TDs. We should have won the game if we had had a kicker who could make XPs.

I say let’s remember the “good ol days” fondly. But also move on into the modern era.

I recall those day, running the stadium steps in the hot Texas sky. Coaches would have us going until we were throwing up. One thing for sure we looked forward to game day because practice was brutal and god forbid if you lost. Having said that I think todays call has gone a little over board with the rules. As for pre season I get the balancing act of not risking players and getting them in-sync so that you can get off to a quick start. I would like to see starters get a few series in on this last game just enough to get some timing in as a unit. You point to last season and it was a great performance by Dak but defensively you had poor tackling and mis-communications in the secondary. Would some pre season action have made any difference? I don't know.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Everything evolves . I’m an avid golfer . The old wooden clubs I played with growing up are Neanderthal. Technology has improved not only the equipment but the balls , shoes, etc.

Football is a little different . While the technology has improved the equipment , gear, medicine , training , etc the rule changes have impacted the game more.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fans forget that practices and scrimmages is where starters get all of the reps and where most of the decisions are made , not these exhibition games .
Absolute truth. I heard Arizona head coach Kliff Kingsbury say that most players make the roster through practice reps more than ps games. I suspect that’s true for most teams. Can a player distinguish himself in a ps game? Sure. But that alone isn’t enough.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Salt tablets! Man I forgot about those. I puked those up a lot on the practice field for sure.

We had those two a days to get in shape. These dudes train year round and throw/catch/run all offseason. The college game doesn’t have PS games and they do just fine. I think practicing against other teams is genius which eliminates the need to play in these PS games for sure.

ammonia capsule to clear your head after a big hit. Now days you go into concussion protocol. (Rightfully so) they did not know enough about head trauma

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
In my extremely brief school boy football career, we were taught to go into a tackle headfirst. Put your helmet into the runners chest wrap your arms around him and bring your body up. By today’s standards that would be like giving the kids cigarettes to increased their lung capacity.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

When I played basketball in high school, our head coach made us run until someone puked. He foolishly believed that made you “tougher”. All it did was make us hate him, lol.

I very much believe in conditioning. But we’ve learned a lot about how to prepare young athletes to play a sport. One of my sons is a HS basketball coach and has been a HS asst football coach as well. The ways they train and condition their athletes now is safer and smarter IMO.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolute truth. I heard Arizona head coach Kliff Kingsbury say that most players make the roster through practice reps more than ps games. I suspect that’s true for most teams. Can a player distinguish himself in a ps game? Sure. But that alone isn’t enough.
Yep

Training Camp has evolved as well. Our roster players practice and train year round now . These 2 or 3 weeks in Camp is just a tune up at best for them.

TC has become about rounding out our final 53 man roster.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I went through those same two a practices, having your manhood question if you showed weakness. But everything evolves, we learn, we change, we adapt. What's best for the human body just isn't as entertaining to this old fart. I miss the football I played and watched as a kid growing up. There were some real slobberknockers back then. Now there's a word you won't hear describing today's football:laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, 2 a day practices, and one in pads, maybe they used to be both in pads are gone. They now have what 12 padded practices in TC now, and even then they limit the hitting.
But it is still fun to watch and see all the rookies and 2nd and 3rd year players. and how they improved and developed.

Honor the past with the playoff and SB success. That is the real good old days. (except you know, the last ...cough..cough.. 27 years). However some of those seasons were fun to watch as to making the playoffs, then went south. But that is why we watch, the fun of getting there. Then anything can happen.

Even though 2016 ended on a sad note. One can't say watching a rookie 4th round draft pick and a rookie RB was not fun watching during the season. Just when Romo goes down, again, Moore goes down (blessing in disguise). Along comes a rookie dark horse QB.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Hey I’m 64 and remember the “good old days”. NFL Football and football in general was a lot more physical “back in the day”. Sometimes “the good old days” aren’t so good.

With all we’ve learned about brain injuries, the importance of hydration during practices and the importance of getting better rest in maximizing performance, the “good old days” are not so good when it comes to football.

Some good points here.

Just know if the game weren't so physical and so much less protection afforded the QB's we might have gotten to enjoy the great leader/OB that was Captain America (Roger). His multiple concussions caused him to leave the game.

PS is just a scrimmage and counts for nothing . . . nothing ! Those calling for valuable team members to play are probably young and want their own personal desires to see the game filled. I'll just say : "Patience, Grasshopper". (That reference will go over their heads too.)

I do remember the good old days fondly though! I'm 68.