CFZ When “the good old days” aren’t so good

mrmojo

Reaction score
Back then players usually were only in staid for football season . That’s why they had Training Camp.

Players this era stay in shape year round and don’t even need a regular job in offseason.

Todays athlete in much better shape. I don’t think they even smoke cigs in the locker room anymore . Lol

They sure that was a Fresca haha

Haimerej

Reaction score
Callous and harsh treatment in sports has existed for a very long time.
On all levels - and across the world.

It has it's place. People sometimes need to be pushed, dragged, or pulled to reach their full potential. Obviously we shouldn't lose our humanity but pats on the butt aren't always the best way to motivate people.

manster4ever

Reaction score
Salt tablets! Man I forgot about those. I puked those up a lot on the practice field for sure.

We had those two a days to get in shape. These dudes train year round and throw/catch/run all offseason. The college game doesn’t have PS games and they do just fine. I think practicing against other teams is genius which eliminates the need to play in these PS games for sure.

Yep, use the PS games to build depth and perhaps uncover an occasional gem like Turpin. I couldn't agree more with the OP: you rest your regulars. Troy, Emmitt and Michael never played much in the pre season either

Motorola

Reaction score
It has it's place. People sometimes need to be pushed, dragged, or pulled to reach their full potential. Obviously we shouldn't lose our humanity but pats on the butt aren't always the best way to motivate people.
But I'm referring to tatics and procedures done that crossed the line / exhibited neglect to the athletes' well-being.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
ammonia capsule to clear your head after a big hit. Now days you go into concussion protocol. (Rightfully so) they did not know enough about head trauma
I remember my first concussion. It came on a kickoff and man it was awful. They called it getting your bell rung and back in the game I went. I saw more stars than at a actress convention. But that was all we knew back then. Get up and back on the field. If you got leg cramps you would be asked if you took salt tablets before the game. Different era for sure.

Motorola

Reaction score
Yeah. Just saying we shouldn't swing the pendulum too far.
'pendulum swing(s) - not an apt analogy IMO.

Am all for BALANCE.
Not against coaching and training staffs pushing and pressing atheletes to get the most out of their abilities.
But be cognizant when they've reached their limit during an individual practice or session.
And don't implement / cease using tatics that are abusive and detrimental to players' health and well-being.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Back then players usually were only in staid for football season . That’s why they had Training Camp.

Players this era stay in shape year round and don’t even need a regular job in offseason.

Todays athlete in much better shape. I don’t think they even smoke cigs in the locker room anymore . Lol

Being in shape is one thing, but being in football shape is entirely different. Boxers don’t just run, lift weights, and jump rope. They spar to train for the upcoming fight because ropes and weights don’t punch back.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Being in shape is one thing, but being in football shape is entirely different. Boxers don’t just run, lift weights, and jump rope. They spar to train for the upcoming fight because ropes and weights don’t punch back.
Being in better shape year round would appear to place you in position to be in better football shape heading into a season.

Back in the day football players were not the human athlete species they are today on the most part . They showed up to camp in some cases totally out of shape. And basically why Training Camps were necessary.

Training Camps today are for much more than just getting players in football shape for the season .

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I find myself holding opinions on subjects like geopolitics, work/life balance, child rearing and, dare I say, Dallas Cowboys football, that sound remarkably like things my dad would tell me 50 years ago. And, yes, I scoffed at some of the things he said and generally thought he was "old school".

Well, color me "old school" then.

Look, I hated two-a-days in high school and college, and questioned what they actually did in terms of making us a better team. While I wouldn't "wish" those sort of practices on anyone, I can't help but think that some players today are missing football fundamentals that were ruthlessly and relentlessly drilled a generation ago.

No doubt, today's players are better conditioned, more physically imposing imposing - the whole bigger, better, faster mind set. How often, though, do we hear "Xxx is more an athlete than football player"

Yes, the game is evolved and, yes, the players are generally better, but, no, I don't think the game is better over-all

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Being in better shape year round would appear to place you in position to be in better football shape heading into a season.

Back in the day football players were not the human athlete species they are today on the most part . They showed up to camp in some cases totally out of shape. And basically why Training Camps were necessary.

Training Camps today are for much more than just getting players in football shape for the season .
Sure they are, but getting in football shape is part of it.

terra

Reaction score
Sure they are, but getting in football shape is part of it.
the real problem now is the stupid limitation to how many practices you can have in pads.
THAT is why the first few games of the regular season feature so much bad football.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
the real problem now is the stupid limitation to how many practices you can have in pads.
THAT is why the first few games of the regular season feature so much bad football.
The good news is we have 17 games now instead of 12 then 14 when I first started following the NFL. And 7 teams from each conference get into the playoffs now instead of 2 then 4 for much of my life.

14 out of 32 teams get into the playoffs now . Hardly need to be that great anymore. Mediocre is the bar this era. Barely above average is enough.

Winning 10 games used to mean something . Shoot , we have 9 win teams and 7 loss teams going on to the Super Bowl this era. Yawnnnnnnn!!!

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Nowdays, the tiniest details are overanalyzed,
Journalists have been replaced by Ex-players chumming for clicks.

Yeah, when ESPN & Fox came along so much more information & access became available it seemed like a wonderful thing. Used to watch sports shows, pregame shows, postgame shows. Refuse television packages if they didn't have all the sports programming.
Now, I hardly watch anything other than the games. Rarely seek out written content (other than this site). Content overload. You realize there is very little useful information. Mostly fluff pieces or something designed to create differing opinions.

Ex players who spout outlandish takes when it's obvious they are only doing it for ratings are the worst. A close second are ex players who are just wrong. Can't remember exactly who but I believe a defensive back (respected player) became an on air commentator (maybe regular guest) and he consistently made assertions that were 180 degrees off from reality. Things like Team A's offensive line is playing well & should have their way with Team B's defensive line. When reality was the offensive unit was injured & playing poorly going against a defensive front that was playing well. I mean it was so bad it wasn't even funny. He must have been coached up really well and could do his job on the field but it appeared he had no concept of the big picture going on around him.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Football was much more fun to watch back in the 70’s. It probably wasn’t more fun for the players from a safety standpoint though. It’s gotten too watered down, especially when it comes to the QB. If you so much as graze the QB’s helmet with a finger, it’s 15 yards. That’s ridiculous.

I see it from both sides. NFL made a business decision. It's a QB driven league. They can not have these QBs out there getting killed every game. When a team's QB goes down, so does their season most the time. It seemed the rules really ramped up when Rodgers got hurt in 2017. They know these QBs draw a big interest. I don't have an issue with the rule itself but the refs are way too inconsistent in calling it.

At some point, they need to put red shirts on qBs like they do in practice. And be done with it.

Also back in the 70s, the NFL was blatantly hiding the effects of football has on the player's bodies. So I definitely don't want to go back to those days.

I love the game today. So much talent and skill everywhere.