CFZ When upgrading off-season roster- Think needs, not names

Chuck 54

Reaction score
People don’t seem to realize that we had zero depth at OG last season, and currently, we have no starting LG under contract. Even if they resign McGovern, which I think is a mistake, we need to sign a vet or draft a top G. One injury to Martin, and our offense is screwed.

Verdict

Reaction score
Your thread was about identifying need. I didn't see a reference to success rate.

OBJ is not the only WR they tried to acquire. They definitely attempted to trade for Brandin Cooks and were rumored to have inquired about other WRs.
I don’t think Cooks would be a good match with Dak’s skill set.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Thi

This whole thing about "higher-priced" free agents is just bellyaching nonsense, though.. You have to be more specific than that.

Which high-priced free agent are they "afraid" to sign? And why do we need them? Why would the money be worth it?

This is what all the whiny babies talk about, but they still have no specific answers. It's really kind of dumb because we were pretty close last year, and, they had saved cap money for future signings of the players who got us in the mix.

The Chiefs didn't go sign a bunch of guys who cost a lot for the sake of it.

There's no magic blueprint... but all the know-it-alls would have you think that there's some magic formula or blue print that if only Jerry was smart enough to follow, well, then, by golly, we could win a Super Bowl.

It's just not true. Look at the Chiefs.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.
There certainly has to have been some free agents that would have improved the team over the last few years.
Just would like to see them spend a little more.
What they have been doing has not gotten us out of the divisional round.
Let's try a different approach.

DanA

Reaction score
The way I see it our three off-season goals are to fix the o-line, strengthen the defensive interior and add some offensive weapons. I’ll be pretty disappointed if we just dumpster dive in free agency again.
For me:
  • Cut Zeke and Tyron
  • Re-structure Dak and Martin
  • Add a 10m OG & 10m 1 tech (or thereabouts)
  • Franchise Pollard
  • Bring back TY Hilton
Address WR, RB, LB, TE and CB with the first five picks of the draft (in any order) and taking multiple WR’s overall.

Last edited:

FVSTONE

Reaction score
For sure about Aaron Donald. He’s HOF talent and is still very effective. And I’m not saying we should look for “no name” players only. I’m just saying we shouldn’t just assume that a player with a big name is an upgrade.
I totally agree with you!

DanA

Reaction score
They fixed that run Def with Hankins.

Sf 32 carries 113 yrds 3.5ypc 1td
Tb 12 carries 52 yrds 4.3ypc
Wash 41 carries 151 yrds 3.7ypc 1td
Tenn 24 carries 97 yrds 4.0ypc
Phi 29 carries 87 yrds 3.0ypc 1td
Jax 27 carries 192 yrds 7.1ypc
Hou 37 carries 114 yrds 3.1 carries 1td
Ind 30 carries 106 yrds 3.5ypc
NYG 21 carries 90yrds 4.3ypc 1td
Minn 17 carries 73 yrds 4.3ypc
GB 39 carries 201 yrds 5.3ypc 1 td

They had 2 bad games after he was signed. He missed the end of the reg season and came back for the playoffs.

I think they should add a player or two but they're fine vs the run.
For me it’s not just the run defense. It’s also creating an environment to help our edge rushers get home. We need that 1 Tech to push the pocket and not give QB’s space to step up into. It’s about extracting full value from our biggest strength.

Jarntt

Reaction score
"There may be a younger, better option available no one has heard of."

Swap out "better" with "cheaper" and you've nailed the Cowboys free agent policy.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Your thread was about 2022. Quit whing about the past.

Teams can't have proven top tier talent at all positions.

The Pollard injury doomed them in the playoff loss.

Were fans/media pointing to RB as a need in 2022? Fans hated paying Zeke big money but his 2022 salary was guaranteed. What were the options? Another veteran didn't make sense with Pollard and Zeke on the roster.

Nobody thought they should draft a RB in the 1st or 2nd. Would a 3rd round RB have made a difference?
doomed maybe but the fact old KM didnt even use Davis in that 2nd half!! ughh

pollard was 4th rounder so yes maybe this 2023 season start over with Malik and fresh draft picks. rbs easy to transition out of the box..maybe one cheap short yardage vet back added..RBBC and cast offs seemed to work for KC...RB and WR, they do have a elite TE to make up for it and elite qb but still it can be done. I say fiox the LG position with s physical run first type and commit to the run game as a OC when possible.

Verdict

Reaction score
He gets more separation than some of the bigger WRs...
I know he had some early success in the NFL, but seems like more of a “name” than a difference maker. He has also moved around from team to team. Generally there is a reason for that, whether we know the actual reason or not. A little bit of “smoke” there.