When was the last time our defense was this good

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah when you can win games with a moron who debuted with 36 yards passing, it's definitely the defense.
And this offense is on a similar pace of bottom tier production. Prob worse offense at least statistically since Quincy and Campo era.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I just go off of points/series. 2007 was 1.64/series. Right now we're tracking at 1.62/series.

Not that I think either of those units was elite. But both appear to be good enough to win playoff games with. Now, if we can get to the place where we have a playoff-caliber offense again....
I think you put this defense with 2014 offense we’d be at least playing for conference championships. Maybe more.

Would have been nice for that 2014 offense to be able to make a run for a few years while building defense.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you put this defense with 2014 offense we’d be at least playing for conference championships. Maybe more.

Would have been nice for that 2014 offense to be able to make a run for a few years while building defense.

I think so, too.

And I agree, that offense with Romo playing and a better defense would have been a legit contender. The line between mediocre and contender in the league right now is so thin.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
And this offense is on a similar pace of bottom tier production. Prob worse offense at least statistically since Quincy and Campo era.

With 3 recent all Pro's on the O line and the leagues leading rusher.....

Yikes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
With 3 recent all Pro's on the O line and the leagues leading rusher.....

Yikes.
Another example of how meaningless those assets can be without a prolific passer & WR receiving Corp.

We had the leagues leading rusher in late 80’s with Herschel and didn’t help us win many games.

Note: we’re missing one of those Pro Bowlers and other 2 have been slowed by injuries.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Another example of how meaningless those assets can be without a prolific passing WR and recieving Corp.

We had the leagues leading rusher in late 80’s with Herschel and didn’t help us win many games.

Agreed.
But that late 80's Cowboys defense was a shadow of this current group.
fundamentally I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying when you have the leagues leading rusher *and* a top 2 scoring defense, you should probably be above .500.

That's not a statement to put blame on any particular person or position group. Just saying that something is wrong with that scenario.....

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
By the way we're the youngest team in the NFL :eek::eek::thumbup:

Prepare yourself for blowback on this one. A lot of people think being a young team doesn't matter. They're wrong.

Statistically speaking, the last time our defense was this good was in 2003 when we were 2nd in the league against the run and 1st in the league against the pass. But that might have had something to do with teams not needing to score many points on us, since our offense that year was 21st in the league in points!

So the real answer is that the last time we had a defense this good it was 1995. That defense from 1992 to 1995 was really, really good.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agreed.
But that late 80's Cowboys defense was a shadow of this current group.
fundamentally I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying when you have the leagues leading rusher *and* a top 2 scoring defense, you should probably be above .500.

That's not a statement to put blame on any particular person or position group. Just saying that something is wrong with that scenario.....
When you consider our passing offense is 31st , QB is 25th along with 2nd in rushing it provides a 28th ranked offense.

Along with a 2nd ranked defense adds up to an average team overall. .500 is about right.

Last edited: