When will NFL teams stop hiring college coaches?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Because Outside off Jimmy Johnson, it really doesn't work. There are a few other exceptions, Tom Coughlin for example, was the head coach at Boston College from 91-93 (spent 84-90 moving up the ranks on NFL teams). Pete Carroll is another, but I would argue he was an NFL guy who settled for a college coaching job. Jim Harbaugh comes to mind as well, but having been a starting NFL QB while some of the players were growing up (and an OK one to boot), he had more credibility than most. And of course, everyone around here's favorite, Barry Switzer, who won a SB, albeit with a team who won back to back SBs, and then had everything around him unwind.

The only college coach fired with in the last 10 years or so who imo could've had a lot of success in the Pros would've been Nick Saban. I think had the Alabama job not become available, he would've built a better Miami team, assuming ownership gave him the time needed to recover from the Daunte Cullpepper fiasco.

But looking at this current group, I wonder what teams saw in Mike Schiano and Chip Kelly. I can understand the appreciation for Schiano's old school approach to coaching, but with out some skins on the wall, it just won't cut it in the pros. Players won't go for it, and even Tom Coughlin had to change up a bit to get the most from a Giants team that struggled but wound up winning 2 super bowls. Chip Kelly imo, isn't even as good as Steve Spurrier. No National Championships, no Heisman winners, unlike Spurrier and......no recruiting scandal as he went to the pros.

Doug Marrone is another curious hire, but I think the Buffalo job isn't that attractive and the proximity to Syracuse played a major role in his hiring.

I guess I just don't see why GMs continue to go down this path.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Maybe Chip Kelly needs more than 7 games to be judged a failure?

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Way too early to say Chip Kelly is a bust. We can't judge him until he gets his QB to fit his system next year

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
i think they believe that bringing in someone outside of the norm of the nfl is going to give them an advantage...but there is a reason there is a norm in the nfl...its because its what works.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
You mean straight from college to a HC job, but not including those who worked their way with pro positions along the way?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
You mean straight from college to a HC job, but not including those who worked their way with pro positions along the way?

Talking about guys who got noticed due to collegiate coaching. Tom Coughlin went from college HC to NFL, but was a position coach on the 1990 Giants SB team. And while guys like Schiano spent some time as an NFL position coach, it was his time at Rutgers, that got the Buccaneers attention.