When's the last time Dallas cut a draft pick outright?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On the Cowboys, HC's do not make that call and it is ego based. When one does not like admitting mistakes, they would rather live with one than fix it.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bo Scarborough didn’t make the team
He was signed to the practice squad though. But yeah, he's one of the closest: he was gone a month later.
The OP excluded 7th round picks.

There's plenty of those who got cut out of camp.
No there aren't: that's kind of my point. Seven of our last eight 7th-rounders have at least made the practice squad. I assumed I'd find a bunch of these guys that got waived outright, but it doesn't happen.

Looks like the last non-7th-rounder who didn't at least make the PS (or go on IR) was Jamar Wall in 2010.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was signed to the practice squad though. But yeah, he's one of the closest: he was gone a month later.
No there aren't: that's kind of my point. Seven of our last eight 7th-rounders have at least made the practice squad. I assumed I'd find a bunch of these guys that got waived outright, but it doesn't happen.

Looks like the last non-7th-rounder who didn't at least make the PS (or go on IR) was Jamar Wall in 2010.
I think three of the reasons we see less players being cut-
1. The draft is much smaller than it was back in the 60s-early 90s. In those days, especially in the 60s, you could draft into 15-17 rounds. The great 60s and early 70s Cowboys DE George Andrie, a member of the original Doomsday D was a 17th round pick, lol.
2. With the addition of practice squads and rosters being bigger and more flexible, there’s more room for player development. And…
3. I believe it makes UFAs even more important because the draft is smaller. Teams still have to do their due diligence on more than 270 players.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
Anae played for Dallas for two seasons before the Jets signed him off the practice squad. I'm thinking about guys who never made it out of their first training camp.
What about a CB from Miami. I can’t recall his name right off the top of my head.

fivetwos

Reaction score

If you want to find someone who was picked before the 6th round, was cut by Dallas and never played a down for anyone else....the only one I saw in recent history was Danny Coale....5th round 2012.

I dont really know about who made a practice squad or not. We had four 7ths in 2014....three of those names don't even ring a bell.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think three of the reasons we see less players being cut-
1. The draft is much smaller than it was back in the 60s-early 90s. In those days, especially in the 60s, you could draft into 15-17 rounds. The great 60s and early 70s Cowboys DE George Andrie, a member of the original Doomsday D was a 17th round pick, lol.
2. With the addition of practice squads and rosters being bigger and more flexible, there’s more room for player development. And…
3. I believe it makes UFAs even more important because the draft is smaller. Teams still have to do their due diligence on more than 270 players.
Dont know what the latest PS rules are but it should include some sort of an option to protect a couple of guys from getting poached each week. They had something like that going on but I'm thinking it was pandemic related.

quickccc

Reaction score
It has not happened as often as it’s used to. Here are some fairly recent draft picks that never played a single down of regular season NFL football we eventually had to cut- all are no longer in the league.
  • 2017- 6th round CB Marquez White, 7th round DT Jordan Carrell
  • 2015- 7th round T Lawrence Gibson
  • 2014- 7th round LB Will Smith, and 7th Round DE Ben Gardner
  • 2012- 4th round S Matt Johnson, 5th round WR Danny Coale
  • 2009- almost the entire draft was out of the league in two years. Worst draft in team history.
Since Will McClay became a major voice in the draft, this hasn’t happened as often.

how long did late round pick DT Joey Ivy (the JAG scrub that Marinelli was hurray- cheerleading for on draft day) last with the Cowboys ?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
how long did late round pick DT Joey Ivy (the JAG scrub that Marinelli was hurray- cheerleading for on draft day) last with the Cowboys ?
Huh, I missed that he was also cut outright, the same year as Jordan Carrell (2017).

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Obviously I want all these guys to make it and be HOFers, just as I do every year.

awesome. So why in our only moment in off season positivity did this subject appear. There had to be a guy who’s selection that got these juices flowing.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
awesome. So why in our only moment in off season positivity did this subject appear. There had to be a guy who’s selection that got these juices flowing.
I’d suggest you abandon those plans to become a mind-reader and stick to your day job.

First of all, what’s negative about noting that virtually all of the Cowboys’ recent draft picks have made the team in some capacity? That you think I’m being negative would seem to say more about you than about this thread.

Secondly, it was prompted by another poster saying he expected 10 of our weekend adds to make the team, which seemed crazy high to me, so I went to look at how rare that was…and it turns out not to be so unlikely (of course, the huge practice squad helps).

The only one being negative here is you.