CFZ Where do we go from here?

cmoney23

Reaction score
Another year ends short of every player, coach, and fan's goal. To win the Super Bowl... A world championship.

As frustration mounts and fans are tortured with increasing media (traditional and social) scrutiny, in many circles it feels like the Cowboys are at a crossroads.

First off, the good.
We are coming off of back-to-back 12-win seasons, took a step forward with advancing a round in the playoffs, and have a very young, talented core/team.
Our supporting coaching staff is highly regarded around the league with our coordinators taking head coaching interviews this and last off-season.
Our front office seems to be excelling in the draft and that has helped keep our team competitive even as we sort of transition.

The bad.
We have a number of key players coming up in free agency.
  • Tony Pollard
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Terrence Steele
  • Connor McGovern
  • LVE
  • Anthony Brown
  • Donovan Wilson
  • PK and LS
Dak appears to be improving in certain areas but has regressed in ball security and decision-making in crunch time
Our coaching staff, especially on offense, seems to be rather inconsistent and some of the same old issues keep coming up. Time management, situational play calling, etc.
Zeke looks to have slowed and is, most likely, going to be cut and the heir apparent has a broken leg and a 3-month recovery timeline. (in addition to his free agency)

So, where do we go from here...
If it were up to me... I'd move on from the entire coaching staff and do what I have to do to bring in Sean Peyton. Many on this board will say that Peyton isn't much different than McCarthy. But I'd point out one big difference. McCarthy got fired in Green Bay... He sat out for a year because he wasn't receiving any interest from teams. You can see, Sean Peyton is up for every open job. He is not only drawing interest... he is commanding the terms. I'm not certain that Mike would get another job in the league. Mike is fine... but we can't settle with fine. We need leadership that can maximize the players we have under contract (Primarily, Dak) and find ways to win in the margins.
One thing that became clear to me in the 49ers game, we don't have enough difference-makers. Sean would be a difference-maker.
I've heard Vic Fangio tied to Peyton and that would be a great DC hire.

I'd move on from Elliot, Pollard, and Schultz completely. (Mostly due to financial reasons)

I'd try to resign LVE, McGovern, Hankins, Steele (pending medical), and Wilson... I'd let Maher compete for the job next year with others. The rest of the list I'd move on from.

I'd kick the tires on OBJ again in FA, and look for options to bolster the front 7.

I'd look to draft Bijan Robinson late in the first round if available and bolster our OL and Secondary in the remainder of the draft.

Obviously, this isn't an all-encompassing list but just a few things that I think would put us in the best position to win next year, given the contracts and commitments we have.

If you're going to say anything about cutting Dak or whatever, save it, you can't do it and we won't do it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Another year ends short of every player, coach, and fan's goal. To win the Super Bowl... A world championship.

As frustration mounts and fans are tortured with increasing media (traditional and social) scrutiny, in many circles it feels like the Cowboys are at a crossroads.

First off, the good.
We are coming off of back-to-back 12-win seasons, took a step forward with advancing a round in the playoffs, and have a very young, talented core/team.
Our supporting coaching staff is highly regarded around the league with our coordinators taking head coaching interviews this and last off-season.
Our front office seems to be excelling in the draft and that has helped keep our team competitive even as we sort of transition.

The bad.
  • Tony Pollard
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Terrence Steele
  • Connor McGovern
  • LVE
  • Anthony Brown
  • Donovan Wilson
  • PK and LS
Dak appears to be improving in certain areas but has regressed in ball security and decision-making in crunch time
Our coaching staff, especially on offense, seems to be rather inconsistent and some of the same old issues keep coming up. Time management, situational play calling, etc.
Zeke looks to have slowed and is, most likely, going to be cut and the heir apparent has a broken leg and a 3-month recovery timeline. (in addition to his free agency)

If it were up to me... I'd move on from the entire coaching staff and do what I have to do to bring in Sean Peyton. Many on this board will say that Peyton isn't much different than McCarthy. But I'd point out one big difference. McCarthy got fired in Green Bay... He sat out for a year because he wasn't receiving any interest from teams. You can see, Sean Peyton is up for every open job. He is not only drawing interest... he is commanding the terms. I'm not certain that Mike would get another job in the league. Mike is fine... but we can't settle with fine. We need leadership that can maximize the players we have under contract (Primarily, Dak) and find ways to win in the margins.
One thing that became clear to me in the 49ers game, we don't have enough difference-makers. Sean would be a difference-maker.

I'd move on from Elliot, Pollard, and Schultz completely. (Mostly due to financial reasons)

I'd try to resign LVE, McGovern, Hankins, Steele (pending medical), and Wilson... I'd let Maher compete for the job next year with others. The rest of the list I'd move on from.

I'd kick the tires on OBJ again in FA, and look for options to bolster the front 7.

I'd look to draft Bijan Robinson late in the first round if available and bolster our OL and Secondary in the remainder of the draft.

Obviously, this isn't an all-encompassing list but just a few things that I think would put us in the best position to win next year, given the contracts and commitments we have.

If you're going to say anything about cutting Dak or whatever, save it, you can't do it and we won't do it.
This team is right there. Keep improving it. Time to spend more in FA to get us over the hump.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score

First off, the good.

The bad.
  • Tony Pollard
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Terrence Steele
  • Connor McGovern
  • LVE
  • Anthony Brown
  • Donovan Wilson
  • PK and LS

327125909_719965089841434_6123165570772149729_n.png
Here is your guide...

Aven8

Reaction score
Just keep on getting into the playoffs. Sooner or later we might win one. That’s what the Duke’s, Kentucky’s, and Kansas’ in basketball have been doing for decades.

cmoney23

Reaction score
327125909_719965089841434_6123165570772149729_n.png
Here is your guide...
I don't subscribe to any of that.

I especially don't think "we beat up on bad teams" this year. I think we had the most wins and best record of any team against teams with a winning record this year.
Furthermore, I'm not sure how a 4-point, road dog losing is "choking in the playoffs"

But hey, cool meme! :facepalm:

kevm3

Reaction score
We've seen nearly 30 years of this same story. We know how it ends but we like to pretend like we don't know how it will end. Jerry and Stephen's ceiling is 2nd round playoffs max

cowboyblue22

Reaction score

First off, the good.

The bad.
  • Tony Pollard
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Terrence Steele
  • Connor McGovern
  • LVE
  • Anthony Brown
  • Donovan Wilson
  • PK and LS

one of the best write ups i have seen on this board

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Another reason not to blow this thing up is that the Cowboys are the 4th youngest team in the NFL.

A strong draft and REAL action in free agency is the only option at this point.
Problem is those two dummies do not even want to spend on a mid-tier outside free agents, just sign their own guys, draft and hit the bargain bin hard...rinse and repeat!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
First of all, every team’s goal is the SB.
I find it hilarious that I read on this forum every darn week that our team sucks, that the defense was paper tigers, that we couldn’t stop the run, that the secondary can’t cover, that the OL was compromised, that Ceedee was our only receiver, and that our QB sucked.

Just last week most media folks and fans here picked SF to win and said we would be destroyed by SF or Philly if we won the first playoff game. Many said we had no chance on the road in the first playoff game vs Brady.

Now, suddenly, after the defense plays a great game, everyone thinks this was our year and we blew it. We should have won because we outplayed SF. Hilarious. Wildcard game our offense played maybe the best game of the season. Divisional round the defense played their best game of the season. But SF had the #1 defense in the NFL, and it showed. Those LBers, Warner and Greenlaw were amazing, and Ward was everywhere.
It was only a disappointing loss because the defense did what we thought was impossible, but their defense did what was expected. They shut down everyone except Lamb, and after Pollard went down, they didn’t even think about the run game….neither did Dallas coaches.

I get that most fans are not satisfied, but it was the first road playoff win in 30 years. At least that’s a start.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Before you know it we’ll be entering the season of dreams when teams vie for key free agent puzzle pieces and devise plans to “win the draft”.

This is where the Dallas Cowboys problems begin and end.

Soon the NFL Network stooges and the like will be offering up players that the high-profile Cowboys should obtain to help them reach the next level. And Jerry will leek pressers that Dallas is not immune to “making a splash” to bring in big time talent. All of this is excrement.

Truth is, we’ll probably stay at pick 26 and go with the best player available. During the draft, camera shots of Jerry and Co. in the war room of stupidity will flash on the screen a couple times an hour. JJ and Stephen will be working the phones, more than likely calling each other in an attempt to look important.

We probably don’t keep Shultz so one of the phone calls will be to a big plodding white kid (3rd-4th rounder) from a university synonymous with having run-blocking TE’s with above average hands but incapable of wowing you with athleticism.

Another phone call goes to tall corner that whips the Jones’ in a tizzy. You know, high-fives all around cause the Jones boys just pulled off the draft coup of the century getting this guy in the 2nd.

There will be an O-Lineman or two and perhaps a receiver that looked solid against marginal competition. Just for good measure, we’ll toss in a linebacker from the BIG12 conference just cuz they’re known for defensive prowess. LoL.

Difference makers in free agency will not happen. After the feeding frenzy dies down Jerry will swoop in and grab a couple name players that have very little left to give. One-year contracts of course.

The biggest part of this cyclical ball of crap is the Jones’ inability to negotiate and handle money. I keep asking myself, “How does a team the rarely ventures into meaningful free agency signings have so much trouble staying under the salary cap?” How are other teams doing it? Why can’t we toss our egos out the window, and seek guidance from outside The Star?

We can plot, plan, put names to paper, do anything our heart desires to address the shortcomings of this team, but all of it is moot until there’s recognition that there are serious flaws in the front office. Sadly, I don’t see this happening.

Staubacher

Reaction score
You can't load on talent when your QB is eating the cap space so hard.
And your answer is to unload a major weapon (Pollard) because of cost?
Ok then, live with Dak and less weapons. Good luck

morat1959

Reaction score
Easy…get a legit QB. I know JJ is an awful GM but this team is finally that close.

cmoney23

Reaction score
First of all, every team’s goal is the SB.
I find it hilarious that I read on this forum every darn week that our team sucks, that the defense was paper tigers, that we couldn’t stop the run, that the secondary can’t cover, that the OL was compromised, that Ceedee was our only receiver, and that our QB sucked.

Just last week most media folks and fans here picked SF to win and said we would be destroyed by SF or Philly if we won the first playoff game. Many said we had no chance on the road in the first playoff game vs Brady.

Now, suddenly, after the defense plays a great game, everyone thinks this was our year and we blew it. We should have won because we outplayed SF. Hilarious. Wildcard game our offense played maybe the best game of the season. Divisional round the defense played their best game of the season. But SF had the #1 defense in the NFL, and it showed. Those LBers, Warner and Greenlaw were amazing, and Ward was everywhere.
It was only a disappointing loss because the defense did what we thought was impossible, but their defense did what was expected. They shut down everyone except Lamb, and after Pollard went down, they didn’t even think about the run game….neither did Dallas coaches.

I get that most fans are not satisfied, but it was the first road playoff win in 30 years. At least that’s a start.
I agree with ya. I'm not sure how my post set this off but... Good post.

cmoney23

Reaction score
You can't load on talent when your QB is eating the cap space so hard.
And your answer is to unload a major weapon (Pollard) because of cost?
Ok then, live with Dak and less weapons. Good luck
I don't think you should ever pay top dollar for a running back. Pollard included.

The ankle/leg break might drive the price down to something reasonable and if the medical clears. Sure.

More QB get signed above him and the cap keeps going up. Daks contact gets cheaper by the year. Hell, it'll be over 230 next year!!!

Big_D

Reaction score
Maybe another one and done. This team can't hang come playoff time. They beat up on a Bucs team that backed in to the playoffs and looked pathetic for the most part besides opening day.