News: Where Does Cowboys DE Jalen Jelks Stand Heading Into 2nd Season?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where Does Cowboys DE Jalen Jelks Stand Heading Into 2nd Season?

jess-haynie__auto-draft-73-e1591888546220.png

The Dallas Cowboys have done a good job lately of finding roster contributors in the late rounds of the NFL Draft. Will Defensive End Jalen Jelks, the 7th-Round pick in 2019, be able to fight his way onto the team in 2020?

Jalen joined the Cowboys as an athletic pass rusher who had potential to play both defensive end and outside linebacker. He was kept at DE through the end of the preseason, playing in three games and registering one sack.

Unfortunately, Jelks’ rookie season was cut short when he was placed on injured reserve just before final cuts. What that injury was has never been disclosed, and it’s likely the Cowboys used something very minor to stash Jalen away for a year. Whatever happened, don’t expect it to be an issue going forward.

Read Full Story

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Probably needs a big camp and preseason to make the roster. Odds are slim Anae doesnt make it, and Armstrong didnt grade out great, but did have 2.5 sacks in 250 snaps.

Armstrong should be beatable, but I don't see Jelks as some magical treasure waiting to be unlocked. So I don't see him beating Armstrong

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
His preseason last year. He was getting pressure he just wasn't getting home. It's hard to sack the QB when your the only one in the backfield sometimes. But he was getting loose.
He played mostly against 3rd stringers and camp fodder.

Armstrong isnt a great player, but he was getting sacks at a rate of one out ofevery 100 snaps against starting NFL tackles. Jelks has a long way to go to beat out Armstrong

fivetwos

Reaction score
If Jelks shows he can make plays and looks good in camp and preseason, there is no way I'm keeping Crawford over him. Use Crawfords money somewhere else.
Right.

Put Carter and Anae in that boat as well.

Without injuries, they have a numbers issue there, but I have a feeling theres going to be a much more liberal PS for this year, so we can keep all these studs lol!!

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Where Does Cowboys DE Jalen Jelks Stand Heading Into 2nd Season?

jess-haynie__auto-draft-73-e1591888546220.png

The Dallas Cowboys have done a good job lately of finding roster contributors in the late rounds of the NFL Draft. Will Defensive End Jalen Jelks, the 7th-Round pick in 2019, be able to fight his way onto the team in 2020?

Jalen joined the Cowboys as an athletic pass rusher who had potential to play both defensive end and outside linebacker. He was kept at DE through the end of the preseason, playing in three games and registering one sack.

Unfortunately, Jelks’ rookie season was cut short when he was placed on injured reserve just before final cuts. What that injury was has never been disclosed, and it’s likely the Cowboys used something very minor to stash Jalen away for a year. Whatever happened, don’t expect it to be an issue going forward.

Read Full Story
Thank you WG,,, been talking up Jelks to deaf ears for months now, and never see much interest from the fan base.
It isn't just about Jelks, but a transition on this roster with type of bio taking place that perks my interest.
I don't think fans realize or want to realize how much of a hybrid defense is looming now..
If a reporter were to ask that question to MM, he would just shake his head, and answer with the first off the list of non-relevant response.
All Im trying to say is that MM will be employing more of a hybrid scheme than we have seen as Cowboys fans probably since the Big Tuna days.
Its not revolutionary by any means, most transcending teams already do it,, but we are in the dark ages here, transcending from archaic JG influence.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank you WG,,, been talking up Jelks to deaf ears for months now, and never see much interest from the fan base.
It isn't just about Jelks, but a transition on this roster with type of bio taking place that perks my interest.
I don't think fans realize or want to realize how much of a hybrid defense is looming now..
If a reporter were to ask that question to MM, he would just shake his head, and answer with the first off the list of non-relevant response.
All Im trying to say is that MM will be employing more of a hybrid scheme than we have seen as Cowboys fans probably since the Big Tuna days.
Its not revolutionary by any means, most transcending teams already do it,, but we are in the dark ages here, transcending from archaic JG influence.
I think many of us are excited to see what he can do, but do date, we don't have much to go on.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had Jelks making the PS at best unless some injuries happen. And we do not want that of course.
However I never knew or thought of him at LB. The article says he may have a hard time doing that.
I don't think he has all that of a hard time.

LVE, Jaylon, Lee are the top 3 of course. Thomas a very good spot / role player and ST's.
They usually keep 6 tor 7. So after those 4, it won't take much to make it as a LB. March is a good ST's player, but doesn't add much at LB play. Gifford looked good, but was injured. So is he as good as we think, or can Jelks be better.
The only others he competes with are UDFA's Bernard and Kamara. And the fact they only have 8 LB's on the roster can be a sign they plan on using a few of these DE's in a LB role on certain plays.

Creeper

Reaction score
Jelks is on the bubble, and will have to make a spectacular showing to make the team in my opinion. If Anae looks anything like he did in college during the preseason/camp he will replace Jelks.