CFZ Where Micah Parsons has lined up all year for each snap

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great chart here from Cowboys beat writer Jon Machota showing where Micah Parsons lined up for every snap this season, including the playoff game against TB. Some things that jump out to me:
  • Parsons lined up as a DLineman 802 of his 996 snaps, which is over 80% of the time.
  • Interesting stat- in games where Micah lined up as a LB with 20 or more snaps, we are 1-3.
  • In the GB loss, Micah played LB for 47 snaps, the most he had at LB all year. Not only did we lose, we gave up 207 yds rushing.
  • He’s got to be the only LB in the NFL with 8 snaps as a Corner.
  • Against Tampa, he had 64 snaps at DL, his most of the season, and he had an excellent game.
  • Based on these stats and what SF does in the running game, I expect MP to line up 80-90% on the DL.
It will be very interesting to see what Quinn does with #11 Sunday. It seems pretty clear based on this chart- the team is most effective when he lines up as a DL.

Proof

Reaction score

Great chart here from Cowboys beat writer Jon Machota showing where Micah Parsons lined up for every snap this season, including the playoff game against TB. Some things that jump out to me:
  • Parsons lined up as a DLineman 802 of his 996 snaps, which is over 80% of the time.
  • Interesting stat- in games where Micah lined up as a LB with 20 or more snaps, we are 1-3.
  • In the GB loss, Micah played LB for 47 snaps, the most he had at LB all year. Not only did we lose, we gave up 207 yds rushing.
  • Hes got to be the only LB in the NFL with 8 snaps as a Corner.
  • Against Tampa, he had 64 snaps at DL, his most of the season, and he had an excellent game.
  • Based on these stats and what SF does in the running game, I expect MP to line up 80-90% on the DL.
It will very interesting to see what Quinn does with #11 Sunday. It seems pretty clear based on this chart- the team is most effective when he lines up as a DL.

interesting stuff. i’m curious if the lb snaps came primarily when we were short handed

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
would love to see more snaps at LB vs the niners,we got to stop the run.
But….According to the above chart, when Parsons played LB for 47 snaps against GB, we got carved up for 207 yards rushing.

So the 3 games he lined up at LB the most....WE LOST!
Exactly. Looks like we’re better off with him on the DL.

reddyuta

Reaction score
But….According to the above chart, when Parsons played LB for 47 snaps against GB, we got carved up for 207 yards rushing.

Exactly. Looks like we’re better off with him on the DL.

he was out of position a lot in that game.he doesnt have to play 45 snaps at LB but i expect more than 15 against a YAC heavy team in the niners.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
interesting stuff. i’m curious if the lb snaps came primarily when we were short handed
Barr out weeks 10, 11, 12.

LVE out weeks 16, 17, 18.

Clark out games 1 thru 7.

Parsons
Only week 10 vs the Packers fits that scenario; although both LVE and Clark were available for that game.

A total of 7 snaps at LB while LVE was out.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It will very interesting to see what Quinn does with #11 Sunday. It seems pretty clear based on this chart- the team is most effective when he lines up as a DL.

I've been waiting for this info.

I knew he played primarily LB in the Packers game based on reviewing game footage and primarily DE afterwards but was not certain about the split early in the season.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

They moved him around a bit last week and I hope that continues.

Nate Newton was talking about playing against LT. You'd come out of the huddle and he'd be in one place. You'd make your line calls and he'd move somewhere else.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Quinn changed they way they play run defense after giving up 240 to the Bears then 207 to the Packers.
- Player assignments and techniques changed.

LVE
Pre Packers game: Stack and Shed
Post Packers game: Run and Hit

Something changed with Kearse also.
- Pre: Often late on outside runs with Kearse coming from inside to outside.
- Post: Kearse far more often coming straight at outside runners.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

FYI: Parsons played more at LB in 2021 than at DE.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
would love to see more snaps at LB vs the niners,we got to stop the run.
Don't want to see us go back to the Green Bay strategy. Just move him around and bring him whether it's from the middle, right or left. Parsons attacking the line of scrimmage disrupts what the other team wants to do.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Later in the season, Micha was less effective at DE IMHO. He was getting washed out by the OT on practically every play.
Later in the season, Micah was hurt and sick. Just because he played through it all doesn't mean he was the same player.

Proof

Reaction score
Barr out weeks 10, 11, 12.

LVE out weeks 16, 17, 18.

Clark out games 1 thru 7.

Parsons
Only week 10 vs the Packers fits that scenario; although both LVE and Clark were available for that game.

A total of 7 snaps at LB while LVE was out.
thanks for providing the data. appreciate you

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
So @ LB, what would be the reason Parsons was not productive. Was he healthy. Was it easier for the play to move away from him at linebacker. Interesting stats.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
He's such a versatile player he should't be placed in one spot. Against the remaining NFC teams, (giants, eagles, 49ers). I'd argue we need him way more at LB. These are teams that get the ball out very quick. Run the ball.

Let him rush the passer on 3rd and longs.