Which available coaches out there (rumored or not) would bring the clout necessary to push Jerry out

_sturt_

Reaction score
Jerrah is not going anywhere until he dies then you get Stephen.

Same as above.

We know it has happened that Jerry backed off, at least to a significant degree, during the Parcells era.

Again.

Humor me.

If it were to happen, who would be on the list who could qualify.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I honestly think that if hiring Bill Belichick guaranteed Jerry three Super Bowl wins, but Jerry had to give Bill full control , Jerry would not hire him simply because of his ego. That ego problem has forever tarnished this team and took it from being the class of the NFL to being the Jerry Springer Show of the league. Jerry can’t realize how obvious if a problem that his ego has been. He thinks he is fooling people.

When the only one he's fooling is himself.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
...of the coaching equation in every way?

In other words, who would be able to achieve what Troy Aikman said last week needs to happen--a return to the days of a strong head coach who had little to no interference from Jerry where it concerned the accountability of the coaching staff and the players to the head coach?

(I'm interested in others' perceptions, and/but will weigh-in later if I see someone hasn't been mentioned.)
Bellichick

_sturt_

Reaction score
I honestly think that if hiring Bill Belichick guaranteed Jerry three Super Bowl wins, but Jerry had to give Bill full control , Jerry would not hire him simply because of his ego. That ego problem has forever tarnished this team and took it from being the class of the NFL to being the Jerry Springer Show of the league. Jerry can’t realize how obvious if a problem that his ego has been. He thinks he is fooling people.

Well, he did it once.

What caused him to hire Parcells?

At least one argument would be that there was a groundswell of public opinion that he had to step back if he was going to succeed.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I'd count three, although I have doubts that most of them are even available or interested.

1. Urban Meyer
  2. Sean Payton
  3. Bill Belichick
That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. But I am giddy right now, so there's that!

That's my list also, #2 and #3 are probably pipe dreams.

If we can't get one of those three I am all for McCarthy - who I think is a big step up from Garrett.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I used to think Urban Meyer qualifies, but been wavering on that recently, remembering that Switzer was similarly highly-regarded for all his NCAA success.

J817

Reaction score
These are coaches that would demand Jerry to relinquish control if hired.

Bill Belichick
Bill Cowher
Urban Meyer
Lincoln Riley, Riley is not leaving his cushy Oklahoma gig for less control.
Matt Rhule, same as Riley imo.
Nick Saban
Sean Payton
Mike Zimmer

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Well McCarthy is in Dallas for 2nd visit and they just announced GJ fired...so I'm sure McCarthy is hired

Only Jerry would make a hire before interviewing better candidates. If McCarthy gets hired he’ll likely serve the same role as a Garrett bowing to the all mighty puppet master.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I've missed it if this is common knowledge... I know Payton isn't available... but is Belichick's contract in NE up?
Word is that he has a year to year contract so he is free to go if he wants.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Well McCarthy is in Dallas for 2nd visit and they just announced GJ fired...so I'm sure McCarthy is hired

I think he just stayed over for a 2nd day. Lewis was here 2 days as well according to something I heard somewhere.

_sturt_

Reaction score
These are coaches that would demand Jerry to relinquish control if hired.

Bill Belichick
Bill Cowher
Urban Meyer
Lincoln Riley, Riley is not leaving his cushy Oklahoma gig for less control.
Matt Rhule, same as Riley imo.
Nick Saban
Sean Payton
Mike Zimmer

I'm not persuaded at all that Riley or Rhule have the clout to pull it off.

Meyer is a maybe for me, as said already... wishing someone, though would persuade me on that one.

Zimmer is a maybe, not that he's accomplished anything, but that maybe Jerry's got some respect for him, knowing him as he has all these many years.

The others... yes. Absolutely.

lkelly

Reaction score
Didn't read far enough, my friend... you only got part of it.
I read it all. People are living in fantasy land if they think any coach is going to make Jerry change his ways.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Free country. And to be fair, you're not the only one to think that way.

But of course Bill Parcells hiring affirms that it's not fantasy land stuff. It did happen once. And public sentiment seems to have played some part in bringing Jerry to the conclusion he needed to step back and do something significantly different.

Here's another name that Todd Archer mentioned within the last year...

John Fox.

Fox and Stephen reportedly are good friends.

Any head coach who can boast SBs with two different teams would seem to be able to assert himself.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's my list also, #2 and #3 are probably pipe dreams.

If we can't get one of those three I am all for McCarthy - who I think is a big step up from Garrett.

I have to say that I don't want McCarthy. I think Rodgers talents made him Andrew I don't think he brings anything to the table. Another Garrett for me.

ultron

Reaction score
Idk but I can see the Cowboys interviewing at least 10 candidates before making a decision.

Larrylock

Reaction score
I think the list of candidates from here on out will tell us how much control/respect JJ is gonna be willing to relinquish. I think there are a lot of established coaches that would like to have this job, but because they are in limbo about who they can bring and who JJ wants to keep it pushes things back. I believe if Mr. Hoodie is interested he will have total control but again I think that is a pipe dream

J817

Reaction score
I'm not persuaded at all that Riley or Rhule have the clout to pull it off.

Meyer is a maybe for me, as said already... wishing someone, though would persuade me on that one.

Zimmer is a maybe, not that he's accomplished anything, but that maybe Jerry's got some respect for him, knowing him as he has all these many years.

The others... yes. Absolutely.

They may not have the clout. I’m saying they wouldn’t take a gig here over the gigs they already have for less control. So if Jerry really wanted one of them he would have to relinquish control. The whole leaving Moore and Marc Colombo on the staff cause Jerry likes them won’t cut it. Why would Riley or Rhule go for something like that? Also why would Jerry pay the money he would have to pay Riley to persuade him to leave Oklahoma only to control his every move like he did with Carrot Top? Riley makes about $5-6 million annually now. Jerry would have to match whatever raise the Oklahoma boosters are ready to show Riley to get him to stay. That will probably come to $10-12 million annually.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Fwiw, @J817 I doubt Jerry's very concerned about the money part of it. He can and will afford what he believes he needs to afford, imo.

I think you brought up Cowher, and he's definitely an interesting name. And he's at that point in his life that it's probably a now-or-never proposition.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
None of them. The Cowboys are as much of a toy to Jerry as they are a business.

No chance he is going to give up the final say or pull back from the team.

Like Al Davis, he will be barking out orders to Stephen from his death bed.