Which concerns you more: RB situation or DT situation?

_sturt_

Reaction score
A lot of talk about our RB situation, but almost as often, it has been mentioned that our DT situation was not addressed adequately in the draft either.

So, just curious, if we assume Zeke gets signed, which one gives you stronger concern?

(a) a RB room featuring Zeke and Dowdle as the two leads, Luepke or Freeman getting the FB/ST role, and Vaughn as the change of pace guy

or

(b) a DT rotation that includes Diggyzoo and Chauncey at 3-tech, with Fehoko theoretically also getting into that mix... and Mazi and a 7th rounder Rogers at 1-Tech...

Oh, and just gonna throw this out there... don't be too surprised if, besides Zeke, we also add another vet FA in a minimum contract named James Lynch.

No kidding, Lynch played DE, and 3-tech, and even a little 1-tech for Minny apparently... but mostly 3-tech... after being drafted by Zimmer and his old team out of Baylor in 2020.

Here's why. Of course, we've lost along the D-line Armstrong, Fowler and Gallimore. Sam Williams gets Armstrong snaps conventionally speaking. Tyrus Wheat gets Fowler's snaps. And Fehoko moves into Gallimore's role.

Then, Kneeland comes into camp penciled-in to Williams old third-string slot, with a decent chance to pull ahead of Wheat before game #1. But other than Durrell Johnson on a futures contract, there's really no one to occupy Wheat's old third-string slot. Enter James Lynch... who, quite possibly, would also pull ahead of Wheat, or perhaps would claim the other 3-tech slot and force Fehoko to compete on the edge with Wheat.

Lynch is coming off a lost season due to an ACL tear in preseason. But every indication is that he should be ready for 2024. Knows Zimmer's defense, and one would assume the two have some affection for each other.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
DT, but I’m hoping the 7th rounder they got can play. Plus a Mazi turnaround this year.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Both have me very concerned waking up in a cold sweat....but if you threatened to torture me by tying me up in a wooden uncomfortable cheap chair, gagged and blindfolded and listening to the full album of Dean Martin singing "Volare" on a loop.. ....i would give in and say DT. Nothing more helpless than just seeing this team get gashed time and time again up the gut giving up easy yardage and getting gassed in the biggest games. And then having no linebackers for strong support inside makes you even more furious. Might as well just place a welcome mat in front of the opposing center that says "Please wipe feet before Entering". And you have the audacity to select a DT at #1 and have him lose 30 lbs!!! You can't make this ish up... Complete insanity. ..... :mad:

cald0d30s0

Reaction score
I might sound stupid, but RB situation worries me. We know #4 needs a good balance of passing/running to win games. We all know it’s a passing league but having a solid running game is very very important.

I mean, people running at will at our defense is killing us, so yeah, having a solid running game is a game changer.

Chasing6

Reaction score
A lot of talk about our RB situation, but almost as often, it has been mentioned that our DT situation was not addressed adequately in the draft either.

So, just curious, if we assume Zeke gets signed, which one gives you stronger concern?

(a) a RB room featuring Zeke and Dowdle as the two leads, Luepke or Freeman getting the FB/ST role, and Vaughn as the change of pace guy

or

(b) a DT rotation that includes Diggyzoo and Chauncey at 3-tech, with Fehoko theoretically also getting into that mix... and Mazi and a 7th rounder Rogers at 1-Tech...

Oh, and just gonna throw this out there... don't be too surprised if, besides Zeke, we also add another vet FA in a minimum contract named James Lynch.

No kidding, Lynch played DE, and 3-tech, and even a little 1-tech for Minny apparently... but mostly 3-tech... after being drafted by Zimmer and his old team out of Baylor in 2020.

Here's why. Of course, we've lost along the D-line Armstrong, Fowler and Gallimore. Sam Williams gets Armstrong snaps conventionally speaking. Tyrus Wheat gets Fowler's snaps. And Fehoko moves into Gallimore's role.

Then, Kneeland comes into camp penciled-in to Williams old third-string slot, with a decent chance to pull ahead of Wheat before game #1. But other than Durrell Johnson on a futures contract, there's really no one to occupy Wheat's old third-string slot. Enter James Lynch... who, quite possibly, would also pull ahead of Wheat, or perhaps would claim the other 3-tech slot and force Fehoko to compete on the edge with Wheat.

Lynch is coming off a lost season due to an ACL tear in preseason. But every indication is that he should be ready for 2024. Knows Zimmer's defense, and one would assume the two have some affection for each other.

DT

DanA

Reaction score
I’m by no means a Dak hater but if his cap hit is more than 30m this team is going nowhere. There’s always gonna be a hole somewhere. This year it’s DT and RB.

Last edited:

TwentyOne

Reaction score

or

DT and nothing else.
In todays NFL you dont need a RB that is the primary weapon of your offense like Emmit was back in the days. You just need a running game that is good enough to keep the other defense hones.

Zimmer is a has been guy. I dont give a lot about his rah rah speeches right now.
Zimmer wasnt able to adjust to a 3-4 back in the days when he was with us. He was "cut" because of that.

Defensives since then changed a lot because offensives changed. You dont play the typical 4-3 anymore. You play 5-2 sometimes 6-1 on first downs. And your LBs need to be much better in coverage. DQ was good in figuring that out. But he lost his starting LB and his NT most of the time. So we were forced to play too many hybrids. Still the approach was the right one.
Zimmer will bring back oldshool football. Run stuffing LBs who arent agile enough for todays offenses.

Still we need a NT very very bad. Those LBs need to be protected. And our DEs need to be freed to be able to make plays. Cant be that Parsons gets triple teamed all day.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DT. Until the Cowboys prove they can stop the run consistently.

You can always get RB's.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
DT. I am telling you as long as the offensive line improves we will run the football. Guyton’s athleticism compared to Tyron will be noticeable. A inside threesome of Tyler, Bebe, and Martin could be as good any team in the league.

chicago JK

Reaction score
DT is harder to find, but both.

Our GM has a habit of not being proactive filling holes and then acting surprised when they don't magically fix.

I really have little issues with the players they lost in Free agency. Several were good players. A lot played a lot of snaps. They should be replaceable.

My issue is they didn't get aggressive at RB and DT in FA. I am not talking about 15 million dollar contract players. They could have targeted solid B type guys to at least provide short term insurance. Especially at running back. They didn't and now they need to be dumpster diving to fill two pretty big holes.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I'm a believer that our O line has been more of an issue for our running game than the RB. I would have preferred to retain Pollard, but I'm hopeful for some improvement in run blocking

CWR

Reaction score
DT and nothing else.
In todays NFL you dont need a RB that is the primary weapon of your offense like Emmit was back in the days. You just need a running game that is good enough to keep the other defense hones.

Zimmer is a has been guy. I dont give a lot about his rah rah speeches right now.
Zimmer wasnt able to adjust to a 3-4 back in the days when he was with us. He was "cut" because of that.

Defensives since then changed a lot because offensives changed. You dont play the typical 4-3 anymore. You play 5-2 sometimes 6-1 on first downs. And your LBs need to be much better in coverage. DQ was good in figuring that out. But he lost his starting LB and his NT most of the time. So we were forced to play too many hybrids. Still the approach was the right one.
Zimmer will bring back oldshool football. Run stuffing LBs who arent agile enough for todays offenses.

Still we need a NT very very bad. Those LBs need to be protected. And our DEs need to be freed to be able to make plays. Cant be that Parsons gets triple teamed all day.
Zimmer had 5 straight seasons of top 10 defenses while in Minnesota. That's not terrible for a has been guy.