Which Cowboys Trio Is The Best

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
My guess is that this is going to be divided by who saw which group play.

I think Staubach was the greatest Cowboy QB of all time...and behind Bob Lilly, maybe the greatest Cowboy of all time.

Smith might edge Dorsett out for power and longevity but as a pure runner, I think Dorsett was the better guy. So I'd probably call this a toss up.

Irvin and Pearson. Geez, tough one. Pearson had the greatest catches in the history of the franchise. Irvin had more ability. I'd probably give the nod to Irvin.

But I think Staubach makes the difference.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Its either Staubach/Dorsett/Pearson or Aikman/Emmitt/Irvin

Staubach > Aikman

Dorsett < Emmitt (You cant lose with either though, and Dorsett was a better at breaking the big runs)

Pearson = Irvin (IMO Pearson was better because he could stretch the field in a way Irvin could not)

I would take Staubach/Dorsett/ Pearson personally because they were more explosive and could score quicker than their 90s counterparts.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Its either Staubach/Dorsett/Pearson or Aikman/Emmitt/Irvin

Staubach > Aikman

Dorsett < Emmitt (You cant lose with either though, and Dorsett was a better at breaking the big runs)

Pearson = Irvin (IMO Pearson was better because he could stretch the field in a way Irvin could not)

I would take Staubach/Dorsett/ Pearson personally because they were more explosive and could score quicker than their 90s counterparts.

Really i remember us scoring 52 points in a SB, in the 90's

dwmyers

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
Really i remember us scoring 52 points in a SB, in the 90's

Different rules, different era. In the 1980s, the passing game was opened up substantially. If Staubach played in the 1990s, I'd hate to think where his QB ratings would land.

David.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Sorry I can't do it it would be like choosing between my kids

Staubach was...well...Staubach...but he did not have Troy's accuracy or timing but what he had was...hmmm...okay this is gonna sound silly but what he had was what could only be described as magic

toss-up

Dorsett...Poetry in motion...verses Emmitt..lionhearted

ya need two backs now adays

Pearson Mr. Clutch vs. Irvin the Playmaker

there are 2 WR's in a pro set...

I am sorry...I can't do it..I hate to cop out on ya'll but there ain't no way I can do it...

I could even add Meridith, Hayes and Perkins to this list

what a wonderful team the Cowboys have been to root for

Reaction score
Juke99 said:

I think Staubach was the greatest Cowboy QB of all time...and behind Bob Lilly, maybe the greatest Cowboy of all time.

Smith might edge Dorsett out for power and longevity but as a pure runner, I think Dorsett was the better guy. So I'd probably call this a toss up.

Irvin and Pearson. Geez, tough one. Pearson had the greatest catches in the history of the franchise. Irvin had more ability. I'd probably give the nod to Irvin.

Right on, Juke :)

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Juke99 said:

Good call there. I went for Aikman, Smith and Irvin for 2 reasons, 3 superbowls to 2 and Smith is the best back in the history of th game (yard wise). Thats gotta count for something.

I saw them both and love them both equally.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
roger, TD, and drew. the first truly great cowboys triumvirate. they brought in the hardware.

dallas won a lombardi before. but duane thomas, lance alworth, ditka and company don't really come to mind as "great cowboys". they didn't really "belong to us". it was more like they were rented or just passin' thru.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I selected Aikman, Emmitt, & Irvin because the question was "which trio was the best" not which one was my favorite.

Aikman, Emmitt, & Irvin had more talent than the trio of Staubach, Dorsett, & Pearson. As Zaxor mentioned, we could also throw in Meredith, Perkins, & Hayes and not be too far off.

I don't think it is a fair comparision though because there were 19 other guys who started for those teams and they all factor into the equation. I believe that the O-Line of the 90s was better than what we had in the 60s or 70s and therefore gave that trio an advantage over the others. But since that wasn't in the equation I had to go with the production of the trios in question and that meant Troy, Emmitt, & Michael.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
I'm going with Troy Hambrick, Quincy Carter, and Joey Galloway. They were awesome!

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Staubach/Pearson/Dorsett triplets better.

As for which is actually better?

It's so close - it can be argued either way.

For my money though.....

Staubach was more fun to watch than Aikman.

Tony was more fun to watch than Emmitt.

Drew made some of the prettiest catches I've ever seen.

You're comparing different styles in each scenario.

Which is better? Who really knows.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Sarge said:
I like Staubach/Pearson/Dorsett triplets better.

As for which is actually better?

It's so close - it can be argued either way.

For my money though.....

Staubach was more fun to watch than Aikman.

Tony was more fun to watch than Emmitt.

Drew made some of the prettiest catches I've ever seen.

You're comparing different styles in each scenario.

Which is better? Who really knows.

I know, that's who.

Staubach/Dorsett/Pearson.

Oh and welcome to the board...you'll find it the best Cowboy board on the internet..

Uh...sorry...I didn't recognize you. :eek::

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Juke99 said:
I know, that's who.

Staubach/Dorsett/Pearson.

Oh and welcome to the board...you'll find it the best Cowboy board on the internet..

Uh...sorry...I didn't recognize you. :eek::

I've been very ill. I have been unable to get to the computer because I have sunshinitis.

Come September - I will be back on a regualr basis to hound you like the dog you really are.

Ya little ankle biter.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Sarge said:
I've been very ill. I have been unable to get to the computer because I have sunshinitis.

Come September - I will be back on a regualr basis to hound you like the dog you really are.

Ya little ankle biter.

Oh oh...so you're trying to say that you have a life and we don't? Is that it?

Well....uh...well...I just bought a new toaster oven.

So there.