Which dark future Movies or TV Shows do you think are most likely to occur?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
For the odds, I'm going with....
  • The Day After 1 in 2 - Through all the glitzy sci-fi future movies, I still think this cheesy 80's TV movie has the best odds. We end up blowing ourselves up before we get anywhere. History has always had mad men and narcissists who would end the world, they just never had the technology to do so, and it's no longer an exclusive technology.
  • Galactica 1 in 3 - Genetics will become so advanced that companies will either determine your future with your genes or manipulate your birth to do so.
  • Minority Report 1 in 3 - Specifically, the advertising that gives no privacy or tracks your habits. If we're not already there.
  • Don't Look Up 1 in 4 - This new Netflix movie is a dark comedy, but I think it's spot on for modern America. No political spectrum is spared, and I think it's spot on how pop culture in whichever direction you go, not common sense, will result in us not even seeing the problem before it's too late.
  • 12 Monkeys - Less odds only because nature has yet to naturally develop a disease that wipes us out. Probably more likely from a leaked science or military project like this one. If a Discord nerd can get a hold of top military intelligence, only a matter of time before someone who shouldn't gets a hold of a biological bomb. Judging by how society handled a mild one recently, I don't think anyone will take it serious until it's too late.
  • Wall-E or Ready Player One 1 in 15 - Bottom line, people use VR and technology to escape reality. Either the poor use it to deal with an overpopulated, run down world like in Ready Player One, or we all become morbidly obese like in Wall-E since automation does everything. Probably already headed that way.
  • Matrix 1 in 25 - The history part of the trilogy if you watch the Animatrix. A world where AI and robots become advanced, but people treat them like an oppressed minority taking their jobs away (which is true) and force the AI to retaliate. Only a matter of time before a politician realizes the election value of this.
  • Deep Impact 1 in 30 - The more rational side of "Don't Look Up." Nothing we can do. Just kiss your family and hope it doesn't land near you.
  • Terminator 1 in 50 - If we make it that far, AI and robots realize we are pointless. Watching how social media giants have no controls or consideration of its abuse, I'm sure someone will make a code that ends up pulling a Skynet.

Creeper

Reaction score
"1984" is most likely. I think we will see something like "Minority Report" based on AI rather than 3 clairvoyants, in some parts of the world at some point, but 1984 drew from the perception of real world events. No matter how many times we say to ourselves, learn from history or be doomed to repeat it, we still repeat our mistakes in one way or another. We ignore history because we simply don't want history to contradict our current points of view.

All these end of the world movies are a bunch of nonsense. The end of the world will most likely be from some kind of cosmic event like an asteroid or some cataclysm with our sun or moon.

As for AI determining that humans are unnecessary, I think that is pure fantasy science fiction. If there were no humans what would be the point of AI? To serve the plant and animal kingdoms? I think AI would determine that there would be no point to eradicating humans and that the purpose of AI is to coexist with humans. It is illogical to deduce that humans are a threat therefore they must be eradicated.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
History has repeatedly proven humanity goes backwards realistically when opportunity presents itself. My choices would be The Hunger Games (movies) and The Handmade's Tale (television).

gtb1943

Reaction score
Honestly, there is so much of this dark crap around I want something that give me hope
Like Star Trek TOS or Star Wars minus all the movies except the original Trio

nobody

Reaction score
For the odds, I'm going with....
  • The Day After 1 in 2 - Through all the glitzy sci-fi future movies, I still think this cheesy 80's TV movie has the best odds. We end up blowing ourselves up before we get anywhere. History has always had mad men and narcissists who would end the world, they just never had the technology to do so, and it's no longer an exclusive technology.
  • Galactica 1 in 3 - Genetics will become so advanced that companies will either determine your future with your genes or manipulate your birth to do so.
  • Minority Report 1 in 3 - Specifically, the advertising that gives no privacy or tracks your habits. If we're not already there.
  • Don't Look Up 1 in 4 - This new Netflix movie is a dark comedy, but I think it's spot on for modern America. No political spectrum is spared, and I think it's spot on how pop culture in whichever direction you go, not common sense, will result in us not even seeing the problem before it's too late.
  • 12 Monkeys - Less odds only because nature has yet to naturally develop a disease that wipes us out. Probably more likely from a leaked science or military project like this one. If a Discord nerd can get a hold of top military intelligence, only a matter of time before someone who shouldn't gets a hold of a biological bomb. Judging by how society handled a mild one recently, I don't think anyone will take it serious until it's too late.
  • Wall-E or Ready Player One 1 in 15 - Bottom line, people use VR and technology to escape reality. Either the poor use it to deal with an overpopulated, run down world like in Ready Player One, or we all become morbidly obese like in Wall-E since automation does everything. Probably already headed that way.
  • Matrix 1 in 25 - The history part of the trilogy if you watch the Animatrix. A world where AI and robots become advanced, but people treat them like an oppressed minority taking their jobs away (which is true) and force the AI to retaliate. Only a matter of time before a politician realizes the election value of this.
  • Deep Impact 1 in 30 - The more rational side of "Don't Look Up." Nothing we can do. Just kiss your family and hope it doesn't land near you.
  • Terminator 1 in 50 - If we make it that far, AI and robots realize we are pointless. Watching how social media giants have no controls or consideration of its abuse, I'm sure someone will make a code that ends up pulling a Skynet.
Did you mean Gattaca and not Galactica?

I have to agree with others that 1984 is the most likely sprinkled in with Fahrenheit 451. The Day after is a possibility, but doesn't go far enough since that's a limited nuclear exchange.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
"1984" is most likely. I think we will see something like "Minority Report" based on AI rather than 3 clairvoyants, in some parts of the world at some point, but 1984 drew from the perception of real world events. No matter how many times we say to ourselves, learn from history or be doomed to repeat it, we still repeat our mistakes in one way or another. We ignore history because we simply don't want history to contradict our current points of view.

All these end of the world movies are a bunch of nonsense. The end of the world will most likely be from some kind of cosmic event like an asteroid or some cataclysm with our sun or moon.

As for AI determining that humans are unnecessary, I think that is pure fantasy science fiction. If there were no humans what would be the point of AI? To serve the plant and animal kingdoms? I think AI would determine that there would be no point to eradicating humans and that the purpose of AI is to coexist with humans. It is illogical to deduce that humans are a threat therefore they must be eradicated.
Forgot about 1984. Good one. Agree with the AI part. Think it’s more likely we all end up fat as hell, or just out of work, while robots do our jobs.

There isn’t a major company in existence today that isn’t trying to automate to save money on those pesky human beings with their worker rights.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Deep impact..it's just a matter of when, not if. Seems we're always discovering one of these things flying close by that we didn't know about
Yeah, on pure hit odds alone, 100%. Going to happen. Just don’t know when or the size unless we’ve spotted it. On the movie version with a tsunami that Is a mile high… may have to wait on that one. ;)

Creeper

Reaction score
That started the moment Social media became a thing
Social media is a reflection, or the output of a bad program. The old expression in programming was "garbage in, garbage out". People spew what is in their brains on social media. The question is how did it get there?