Which direction do the Cowboys go at QB in 2021?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Reason I like your post is because you nailed it. He IS NOT Mike's QB. He's nobody's QB. Mike will look ahead to a future without DAK and make no mistake about it Mike's priority in next years draft is QB count on it.

I hope they're shopping Dak, and shopping for other downroster QBs from other teams right now.

One thing - The Packers spent their first on Jordan Love. Rodgers is Dead QB Walking. If I'm a Packer fan, I'd rather just move on to Love. I'd think management would feel the same way. Dak as a short timer, or Rodgers as a short timer? Although there is bad blood between Rodgers and MM, we'd at least get a guy who knows MM's system.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I’m not a big Dak supporter but what do we have without him?

Is he really the reason this team hadn’t had more success ?

You're just looking for someone to blame (....with the surname Jones).

It's not about Dak being the reason we havent had success (and a few of us are quite prepared to use 2020 as a 'show me' year). Its about us being handicapped by his CAP crippling demands of a short contract ....which leaves a new HC with very little CAP space for 2 /3 years to improve on any areas he may identify.

He's a new coach and hasnt had time with the players.... now if Dak had met the Jones part of the way and looked at a 5 year deal which was structured to allow some CAP flexibility for MM i'm sure he'd be our man.

What we do (or should do) is offer Dalton a second year and MM can look at what QB he likes in the next two drafts....or look for a trade. As many have said many QB's should be able to succeed with our Offense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

It's not about Dak being the reason we havent had success (and a few of us are quite prepared to use 2020 as a 'show me' year). Its about us being handicapped by his CAP crippling demands of a short contract ....which leaves a new HC with very little CAP space for 2 /3 years to improve on any areas he may identify.

He's a new coach and hasnt had time with the players.... now if Dak had met the Jones part of the way and looked at a 5 year deal which was structured to allow some CAP flexibility for MM i'm sure he'd be our man.

What we do (or should do) is offer Dalton a second year and MM can look at what QB he likes in the next two drafts....or look for a trade. As many have said many QB's should be able to succeed with our Offense.
I blame whoever placed such a high value on Dak.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Wow that's some fakenews. AFAIK, Dak *never* made an actual offer himself, let alone gave them a signed contract for them to sign.
I think he and his agent did make counter offers. one was for 5 yr deal with more money, and then the 4 yr deal , and both were rejected by steven.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

good post, about how I see it.

kskboys

Reaction score
Firstly, depends on how Dak plays this season. If we're 8-8 again, no matter how many stats he puts up, Dak will not get the weird contract he wants. We'll either tag him or tag/trade him.

If we win 11 games and a playoff game, Dak will be highly paid.

At this point, everything comes down to Dak's season.

If Dak cares at all and has a brain in his head, he fires his agent. That sorry dude has already cost him millions.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Firstly, depends on how Dak plays this season. If we're 8-8 again, no matter how many stats he puts up, Dak will not get the weird contract he wants. We'll either tag him or tag/trade him.

If we win 11 games and a playoff game, Dak will be highly paid.

At this point, everything comes down to Dak's season.

If Dak cares at all and has a brain in his head, he fires his agent. That sorry dude has already cost him millions.
In other words the past 4 seasons has no bearings on Daks future. It hasn’t impacted his assessment or evaluation to the league or the Cowboys?

I thought that’s what last year was about and why we didn’t extend him. We keep waiting for our teams success to validate him or justify over paying an average to above average passer.

I thought he’d had enough success. Guess depends on who you talk to.

kskboys

Reaction score
In other words the past 4 seasons has no bearings on Daks future. It hasn’t impacted his assessment or evaluation to the league or the Cowboys?

I thought that’s what last year was about and why we didn’t extend him. We keep waiting for our teams success to validate him or justify over paying an average to above average passer.

I thought he’d had enough success. Guess depends on who you talk to.
If we're looking purely at team success, then we are dumber'n dirt.

W/ Dak, we're looking for improvements in footwork, technique accuracy, clutch play, things like that.

Before last season, it was very hard to evaluate Dak.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You blame math and basic economics?
Great deals are those accepted. Who talks about the great offer that wasn’t accepted?

Hey, but if we’re prepared to move on from Dak then I could get behind the decision. I can get excited about making a move next year on Trevor Lawrence or a veteran in FA like Aaron Rodgers.

But we’ll most likely pay more next year which is why this is idiotic.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we're looking purely at team success, then we are dumber'n dirt.

W/ Dak, we're looking for improvements in footwork, technique accuracy, clutch play, things like that.

Before last season, it was very hard to evaluate Dak.
I agree .

But that’s what’s puzzling to me with Dak. Why has taken so long to get a good read on him? And why I’m questioning .

Kaiser

Reaction score
Great deals are those accepted. Who talks about the great offer that wasn’t accepted?

Hey, but if we’re prepared to move on from Dak then I could get behind the decision. I can get excited about making a move next year on Trevor Lawrence or a veteran in FA like Aaron Rodgers.

But we’ll most likely pay more next year which is why this is idiotic.

We can't talk about the offer from two weeks ago because it wasn't accepted. But you can fill a 20 page thread about what the offer will be next year.

Sure, why not.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think he and his agent did make counter offers. one was for 5 yr deal with more money, and then the 4 yr deal , and both were rejected by steven.

I've never heard even a report of one. He wanted more money and fewer years. But until you package your wants into an offer the other guy can sign, it's just a demand for more of what you want, not an offer.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I've never heard even a report of one. He wanted more money and fewer years. But until you package your wants into an offer the other guy can sign, it's just a demand for more of what you want, not an offer.
I doubt either side ever had a complete contract ready to sign lol.
the final contract that would actually be SIGNED is a detailed many page document.
no one is going to do all that work until the party's agree on everything.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I doubt either side ever had a complete contract ready to sign lol.
the final contract that would actually be SIGNED is a detailed many page document.
no one is going to do all that work until the party's agree on everything.

Not that much work to hit <print> and walk over to the printer.