Which Head Coach that is available is better than Garrett right now?

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I dont want to start another bash garret or who's going to be the next Head coach...

but I was thinking about this today, who's available and who's better than him right now at where he's at... I know he's been learning on the job.... most people do in this day and age, but looking at College coaches they have to learn Pro game... looking at coordinators they have to learn how to be a head coach. looking at Retreads, they have to learn how the game is played today...

so my question is simple Who could replace him & be better than him right now where he's at today with this franchise.

Jenky

Reaction score
I dont want to start another bash garret or who's going to be the next Head coach...

but I was thinking about this today, who's available and who's better than him right now at where he's at... I know he's been learning on the job.... most people do in this day and age, but looking at College coaches they have to learn Pro game... looking at coordinators they have to learn how to be a head coach. looking at Retreads, they have to learn how the game is played today...

so my question is simple Who could replace him & be better than him right now where he's at today with this franchise.

foofighters

Reaction score

Wouldn't it be easier to discuss who isn't better than him?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont want to start another bash garret...
Too late.
...or who's going to be the next Head coach...

David Shaw. I think Shaw’s style would transition well to the pros. And he seemingly has the right temperament to acclimate within Jones’ management structure.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Two names at the top of my list would be Michigan's Jim Harbaugh and Wisconsin's Paul Chryst.
Harbaugh yes but would he come back to Pro's
Chryst I dont know about is he better... has not developed a QB yes they have power running game and Defense is good but I dont see him being any better than garret.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Too late.
David Shaw. I think Shaw’s style would transition well to the pros. And he seemingly has the right temperament to acclimate within Jones’ management structure.

I like Shaw as a College coach, I just dont know if he could do any better than Garret... Shaw for as much as I like him in college game he's never produced another big time QB nor a good RB WR... he's defenses have always produced the talent and been where there bread and butter. So I see your point he might be as good could be better but I still think he's going to have a learning curve with the cowboys and will be learning on the job like Garret was.

Billyd

Reaction score
Same problem exists..No matter who you think would be the best candidate, Jerruh will **** up..His ego is the elephant in the room..College coaches have way more autonomy in college football and most of them wont subjugate to Jerruh. The press has done a fine job reporting this issue, we are destined to stomach...

Jerruh needs to die!!!

Ddisco22

Reaction score

I understand it's hypothetical but which coach do you think would want to come to Big D? There are not many winning coaches that will want to be a figure head for the Jones family, who in there right mind wants to be told how and who to coach?
Sorry but I think JG is the perfect coach for this team, I'm not saying he is doing a great job by any means, just that he is a part of the family so he's OK with being called a puppet

WLJG

Reaction score
My question is simply this: What GOOD coach would be willing to take the job and have the Jones boys micromanaging every little move? A good coach would want to control the asst. coaching hires and have a big (if not total) input on roster moves. They could always find a guy who is willing to take the salary and like JG let Jerry and Stevie run the show. But is that an improvement? For me that is a really big concern at this point.

EGTuna

Reaction score
The OP is exactly right. Who's better that's available? Are Harbaugh and Shaw (one of whom is objectively better than JG, and the other probably is) available? Shaw has shown no interest in the NFL whatsoever, and Harbaugh is getting paid a TON at MI. If Harbaugh loses to OSU and does nothing again this year, then maybe he's available.

NFL assistants are a total cr-p-shoot. Sometimes you end up with Sean McVay or Doug Pederson (and the jury is still out on McVay imo; they looked better than they were by running up the score on bad teams), but other times you end up with Dave Campo, McAdoo, Tomosula, Morningwheig, Mularkey, Haley, etc. You just never know.

I'm fine with replacing Garrett if the replacement is objectively better. I can't think of anyone who's available that fits that bill.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
What's Garrett ever done?

Just to be clear, he has won a playoff game. Something Campo and Parcells didn't.

Not that that means a whole lot with those 2 only being the coach 3 and 4 years, but there are 12 teams that haven't even been to the playoffs since 2015 or before. Only 1 losing season. And he has to put up with Jerry, that imo hamstrings him.

Now before somebody starts saying I'm saying he's better than Parcells, am happy with not winning more playoff games and SBs, etc. I'm just noting that there are far worse coaches in the last 8 years out there...