Which Head Coach that is available is better than Garrett right now?

Proof

Reaction score
Just to be clear, he has won a playoff game. Something Campo and Parcells didn't.

Not that that means a whole lot with those 2 only being the coach 3 and 4 years, but there are 12 teams that haven't even been to the playoffs since 2015 or before. Only 1 losing season. And he has to put up with Jerry, that imo hamstrings him.

Now before somebody starts saying I'm saying he's better than Parcells, am happy with not winning more playoff games and SBs, etc. I'm just noting that there are far worse coaches in the last 8 years out there...

This is the worst endorsement and lowest bar I have ever seen lol

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This is the worst endorsement and lowest bar I have ever seen lol

Jason's record - 67 wins, 53 losses. Not great, correct.
You would rather have had Butch Davis? Career 24-35 record.
Romeo Crennel? 28-55, lost at least 10 games in 4 of 5 seasons.
David Shula? 19-53.
How about Hue Jackson? 1-31.

You entirely missed my point...

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
It’s hard to say because someone like doug Peterson I couldn’t have told you about 2 years ago. But I’m not paid millions of dollars to study these things.
^^^^this x 1000. I get so frustrated when people ask "well...who's better?" Jerry is a billionaire because by and large that is HIS job to figure that out. But the collective we give him a free pass year after year...decade after decade...when we pour our resources into a product...without him showing he has an answer to this question

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
David Shula? 19-53.

No he didnt.

Your "point" was a poor one.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
The OP is exactly right. Who's better that's available? Are Harbaugh and Shaw (one of whom is objectively better than JG, and the other probably is) available? Shaw has shown no interest in the NFL whatsoever, and Harbaugh is getting paid a TON at MI. If Harbaugh loses to OSU and does nothing again this year, then maybe he's available.

NFL assistants are a total cr-p-shoot. Sometimes you end up with Sean McVay or Doug Pederson (and the jury is still out on McVay imo; they looked better than they were by running up the score on bad teams), but other times you end up with Dave Campo, McAdoo, Tomosula, Morningwheig, Mularkey, Haley, etc. You just never know.

I'm fine with replacing Garrett if the replacement is objectively better. I can't think of anyone who's available that fits that bill.
I think there are coaches at EVERY level that could coach this team to a .500 record and garner 1 playoff win in 8 years

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
David Shula? 19-53.

And none of them have had as good of a team as Garrett has had. Who where their franchise QBs? I think we saw what Garrett can do with a Brandon Weeden at QB.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I dont want to start another bash garret or who's going to be the next Head coach...

but I was thinking about this today, who's available and who's better than him right now at where he's at... I know he's been learning on the job.... most people do in this day and age, but looking at College coaches they have to learn Pro game... looking at coordinators they have to learn how to be a head coach. looking at Retreads, they have to learn how the game is played today...

so my question is simple Who could replace him & be better than him right now where he's at today with this franchise.
My 7th grade football coach is better and he is available!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
No he didnt.

Your "point" was a poor one.

My point was that there are worse coaches out there, and that we could easily had ended up with a Crennel, etc. ONLY THAT.

I wasn't trying to be all deep there, just that as they say, if you want Jason gone "be careful what you wish for"

The comment I responded to was "what has Garrett done?". So I said what. Didn't say it was a sparkling record or that he's not done what we'd like, or that he should be kept for years more if he doesn't do better.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My point was that there are worse coaches out there, and that we could easily had ended up with a Crennel, etc. ONLY THAT.

I wasn't trying to be all deep there, just that as they say, if you want Jason gone "be careful what you wish for"

So keep an 8-year proven failure for fear that the next guy might be a failure.

Sorry, but it's a mindset based strictly out of fear, ignoring the fact that they've already been failing for 8 years now.

The comment I responded to was "what has Garrett done?". So I said what. Didn't say it was a sparkling record or that he's not done what we'd like, or that he should be kept for years more if he doesn't do better.

So you effectively reinforced the fact that he hasn't done anything. Thanks.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So keep an 8-year proven failure for fear that the next guy might be a failure.

Sorry, but it's a mindset based strictly out of fear, ignoring the fact that they've already been failing for 8 years now.

Where did I say that?

I said specifically " Didn't say it was a sparkling record or that he's not done what we'd like, or that he should be kept for years more if he doesn't do better.'

Okay, let me put my view on Jason Garrett this way:

Jason has done only a middling job as head coach for 8 years. We expect better. At some point you have to make a change. Can't live in the past. After 8 years he shouldn't be making the same mistakes over and over. He has to do much better this year or he should be seriously considered for replacement. The goal of this team is to win Super Bowls, which he hasn't done, and has a 1-3 playoff record, that's not good enough. He's had good teams and hasn't done as good as he should have with those teams.

Have I made myself clear? If not, read it again.

Last edited:

Proof

Reaction score
David Shula? 19-53.

my point is that if you have to say "he's better than some of the worst coaches!" to support him, maybe you shouldnt