Which lame duck season do you think most likely to repeat? 2010, 2014 or 2019?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The owner/GM obviously isn't "All In" but are the players? They're the ones that matter! LOL

Which of these three lame duck head coach seasons would you put odds on the most repeating? The collapse, the rebirth, or just .500 inconsistent squad?
  • 2010 THE COLLAPSE: Wade Phillips was given a ho-hum 2010-11 extension to begin 2010, but everyone still viewed him as a lame duck since Garrett was the heir apparent. Team fell flat, went 1-7, he was fired.
  • 2014 THE REBIRTH: Jason Garrett had three straight 8-8 seasons and was no longer the shiny coaching prospect. Team went 12-4 under Garett in his first lame duck stint, mainly thanks to the new offensive line and running game.
  • 2019 INCONSISTENT: Team went 8-8, was flat all year. As BB King said, "The thrill was gone."
I think it's 50/50 that the Cowboys repeat a 2010 or 2019 season. Could see either one happening. Not sure this is the same squad that battled through adversity last three seasons. One key player injury like CeeDee will probably make this team fall apart fast. But I also realize there are several stars playing for contracts which isn't a bad thing, and McCarthy in general is a better coach than the last two.

But don't think it's likely that 2014 will happen again unless we have one of the best drafts in team history.

I'm going:
  1. 2019 50%
  2. 2010 49%
  3. 2014 1%

TexasBacon

Reaction score
I was thinking about the 2014 season the other day and how it came out of nowhere. Everyone expected Dallas to be horrible and then Romo had his best year ever. That year was probably the best shot we've had at a SB since 1995, and I can't believe it's already been a decade since the Dez no-catch. Maybe Dak having a chip on his shoulder will push him over the top and finally break out of his deer in headlights thing he does in big games and he'll have a similar season. Or, he'll implode and make it even easier to move on in 2025.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I was thinking about the 2014 season the other day and how it came out of nowhere. Everyone expected Dallas to be horrible and then Romo had his best year ever. That year was probably the best shot we've had at a SB since 1995, and I can't believe it's already been a decade since the Dez no-catch. Maybe Dak having a chip on his shoulder will push him over the top and finally break out of his deer in headlights thing he does in big games and he'll have a similar season. Or, he'll implode and make it even easier to move on in 2025.
A lot of that Romo season reminds me of what just happened to Dak. The turnaround. People forget Romo led the league in interceptions too right before that. Romo started experiening what Dak did his first few years with an o-line and run game that could dominate. But I feel Dak did his individual performance turn around last season with maybe his worst o-line and running game of his career, so if we can just draft some winners on that front, I would think Dak is prime for having a great year again. Especially when it's a contract year! Defense supported him and Cooper that second 12-4 season, but offense came back to being able to carry defense again on his third 12-4 season.

rambo2

Reaction score
The owner/GM obviously isn't "All In" but are the players? They're the ones that matter! LOL

Which of these three lame duck head coach seasons would you put odds on the most repeating? The collapse, the rebirth, or just .500 inconsistent squad?
  • 2010 THE COLLAPSE: Wade Phillips was given a ho-hum 2010-11 extension to begin 2010, but everyone still viewed him as a lame duck since Garrett was the heir apparent. Team fell flat, went 1-7, he was fired.
  • 2014 THE REBIRTH: Jason Garrett had three straight 8-8 seasons and was no longer the shiny coaching prospect. Team went 12-4 under Garett in his first lame duck stint, mainly thanks to the new offensive line and running game.
  • 2019 INCONSISTENT: Team went 8-8, was flat all year. As BB King said, "The thrill was gone."
I think it's 50/50 that the Cowboys repeat a 2010 or 2019 season. Could see either one happening. Not sure this is the same squad that battled through adversity last three seasons. One key player injury like CeeDee will probably make this team fall apart fast. But I also realize there are several stars playing for contracts which isn't a bad thing, and McCarthy in general is a better coach than the last two.

But don't think it's likely that 2014 will happen again unless we have one of the best drafts in team history.

I'm going:
  1. 2019 50%
  2. 2010 49%
  3. 2014 1%
I'll go with 12 wins. The doom and gloom is way over done by the posters in here. The 10.5 wins over and under is more realistic and unbiased.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I'll go with 12 wins. The doom and gloom is way over done by the posters in here. The 10.5 wins over and under is more realistic and unbiased.
I think 10-11 wins is realistic in Zone annual prediction poll if:
  • TC doesn't bring any injuries
  • the ACL guys all come back well
  • the draft is looking like it already has some early hits
  • Mazi, Bass, Hoffman - some of those young bucks on line look like they have improved over offseason into TC

Chasing6

Reaction score

I'm going:
  1. 2019 50%
  2. 2010 49%
  3. 2014 1%
Well we don't have a running game - 1

rambo2

Reaction score
If they hit on the running back they draft and improve on the oline they will. I think at least one of the new starters in the line will be an improvement.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Doh. Forgot the biggest hole! It's like the story of the kid trying to plug the dikes in Holland. Puts one finger in, another leak springs out.

Yeah, think Oline is better than people realize, but definitely counting on this rookie who is TBD.

Which is not as hard as people might think if he's top rounds. I posted our RB picks 1st-4th rounds in Will McClay era, and I think there was only one pure dud of the 7-9 guys selected.

McClay can pick RBs and OL in the early rounds. Proven it time and time again.

I don't think Rico can last as a permanent back. Been hurt every year.

cald0d30s0

Reaction score
From those I believe 2019.

For what I think: anything between 2011-2013 so 8-8, now 9-8.

Aven8

Reaction score
I'll take it if it comes with Troy Aikman at QB and Mark Stepnsoki at C in the draft. Two positions solved. :thumbup:
Even with Lance starting at QB or Rush this team will still probably win 6 games. That won’t get us Troy Aikman…..:(

jgboys1

Reaction score
I would think the 2019 season. We will be, Meh next season.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
2014 happened because Jerry had finally realized the importance of the oline, having added Smith, Fredrick and Martin over the prior 3 seasons. I don't see that happening next season.

Next season is likely 2019ish, although I can see them falling apart if they get off to a rough start.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
I see a 10-7 season. But not due to a lame duck coach but due to a tougher division and schedule.
Regardless. One and done in the playoffs. Bye bye McCarthy and Dak.