Which lame duck season do you think most likely to repeat? 2010, 2014 or 2019?

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
were any of those seasons "tanks" ? So far, its a tank this season.

you could argue we got a middle linebacker, but that's only because you gotta have a green dot on defense just to field a team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
were any of those seasons "tanks" ? So far, its a tank this season.

you could argue we got a middle linebacker, but that's only because you gotta have a green dot on defense just to field a team.
Not even that. You can argue we replaced LVE.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The owner/GM obviously isn't "All In" but are the players? They're the ones that matter! LOL

Which of these three lame duck head coach seasons would you put odds on the most repeating? The collapse, the rebirth, or just .500 inconsistent squad?
  • 2010 THE COLLAPSE: Wade Phillips was given a ho-hum 2010-11 extension to begin 2010, but everyone still viewed him as a lame duck since Garrett was the heir apparent. Team fell flat, went 1-7, he was fired.
  • 2014 THE REBIRTH: Jason Garrett had three straight 8-8 seasons and was no longer the shiny coaching prospect. Team went 12-4 under Garett in his first lame duck stint, mainly thanks to the new offensive line and running game.
  • 2019 INCONSISTENT: Team went 8-8, was flat all year. As BB King said, "The thrill was gone."
I think it's 50/50 that the Cowboys repeat a 2010 or 2019 season. Could see either one happening. Not sure this is the same squad that battled through adversity last three seasons. One key player injury like CeeDee will probably make this team fall apart fast. But I also realize there are several stars playing for contracts which isn't a bad thing, and McCarthy in general is a better coach than the last two.

But don't think it's likely that 2014 will happen again unless we have one of the best drafts in team history.

I'm going:
  1. 2019 50%
  2. 2010 49%
  3. 2014 1%
Lame duck is an uneducated fan pov. The players and coaches have their jobs on the line. You think they are throwing in the towel?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Lame duck is an uneducated fan pov. The players and coaches have their jobs on the line. You think they are throwing in the towel?
As they all like to tell us in pro sports these days, it's a business first. When you know your boss is just one bad move away from getting canned, and can see the stress on his face, and you've heard it all before with no different results, it doesn't inspire. They'll come out as professional athletes, but no I don't think they may play with the same drive or endure adversity the same as a team. Another problem with lame duck culture is it makes everyone point the finger, which in my experience, does not help either. We'll see exactly how much the players love to play for Coach Mac this year.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As they all like to tell us in pro sports these days, it's a business first. When you know your boss is just one bad move away from getting canned, and can see the stress on his face, and you've heard it all before with no different results, it doesn't inspire. They'll come out as professional athletes, but no I don't think they may play with the same drive or endure adversity the same as a team. Another problem with lame duck culture is it makes everyone point the finger, which in my experience, does not help either. We'll see exactly how much the players love to play for Coach Mac this year.
I've lived it and thankfully did very well because of it, but at the end of the day, it's on, we have contracts and the fans run on anything

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I want to see the 89 season in 2024 myself...... :muttley: Yep. With the Joneses this is where it's gone.....

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The owner/GM obviously isn't "All In" but are the players? They're the ones that matter! LOL

Which of these three lame duck head coach seasons would you put odds on the most repeating? The collapse, the rebirth, or just .500 inconsistent squad?
  • 2010 THE COLLAPSE: Wade Phillips was given a ho-hum 2010-11 extension to begin 2010, but everyone still viewed him as a lame duck since Garrett was the heir apparent. Team fell flat, went 1-7, he was fired.
  • 2014 THE REBIRTH: Jason Garrett had three straight 8-8 seasons and was no longer the shiny coaching prospect. Team went 12-4 under Garett in his first lame duck stint, mainly thanks to the new offensive line and running game.
  • 2019 INCONSISTENT: Team went 8-8, was flat all year. As BB King said, "The thrill was gone."
I think it's 50/50 that the Cowboys repeat a 2010 or 2019 season. Could see either one happening. Not sure this is the same squad that battled through adversity last three seasons. One key player injury like CeeDee will probably make this team fall apart fast. But I also realize there are several stars playing for contracts which isn't a bad thing, and McCarthy in general is a better coach than the last two.

But don't think it's likely that 2014 will happen again unless we have one of the best drafts in team history.

I'm going:
  1. 2019 50%
  2. 2010 49%
  3. 2014 1%

I think a 2019 type of season is the most probably, say 80%.

Dak is good enough to beat the scrub teams in the East, but we have a harder out of division schedule this year.

So it looks like 8-9 or 9-8 type of season.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
If the Cowboys get off to a bad start in the first few games such as continually getting dominated in the run game on both sides of the ball, then I think 2024 could easily spiral into a 2010 type season.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I was thinking about the 2014 season the other day and how it came out of nowhere. Everyone expected Dallas to be horrible and then Romo had his best year ever. That year was probably the best shot we've had at a SB since 1995, and I can't believe it's already been a decade since the Dez no-catch. Maybe Dak having a chip on his shoulder will push him over the top and finally break out of his deer in headlights thing he does in big games and he'll have a similar season. Or, he'll implode and make it even easier to move on in 2025.
I am watching the 2014 season now, on 1st giants game now. Remember eli, jpp , hankins, the wr, 1 hand catch guy.
Romo Murray, Dez , beaseley, williams,Fred,Martin, leary,Free. Rolando his one good year . Fun to watch.

In giants game murray is trying for 7th 100 yd game in a row.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know how the players will react to Zimmer, and at what point we'll see Lancelot
Horrible start, MM will be gone soon.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I'll go with 12 wins. The doom and gloom is way over done by the posters in here. The 10.5 wins over and under is more realistic and unbiased.
How is it more realistic when the team that struggled to stop the run last year doesn’t have a healthy NT on its roster right now?

The team that struggled to run the ball doesn’t have a LT or C with more than 2 starts on its roster right now?

Injuries are a part of the game and who’s going in on Week 1 if there’s an injury to a starter at:

CB 1-3
WR 1-3
RT
SS
MLB

There’s simply not enough draft picks to cover the missing starters on the team which will happen in the draft (probably LT, C, DT and RB) plus depth.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I don't know how the players will react to Zimmer, and at what point we'll see Lancelot
Horrible start, MM will be gone soon.
MM is a much better coach for the deal he’s getting. The team the last two seasons hasn’t been very talented in comparison with the top of the league and he got 12 wins out of both teams.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I was thinking about the 2014 season the other day and how it came out of nowhere. Everyone expected Dallas to be horrible and then Romo had his best year ever. That year was probably the best shot we've had at a SB since 1995, and I can't believe it's already been a decade since the Dez no-catch. Maybe Dak having a chip on his shoulder will push him over the top and finally break out of his deer in headlights thing he does in big games and he'll have a similar season. Or, he'll implode and make it even easier to move on in 2025.
2014 the dline was atrocious for the playoff game. Murray was out of gas for the playoffs.

2016 was the year with the best chance. Oline and RB truly dominant. Sean Lee having his All Pro year.
Shoulda played Romo instead of Dak. Dline still mediocre, but young and healthy.

2007 was close. We were a Patrick Crayton pull up away from beating the Giants, who best everyone else. TO would have been healthier for the next game. Romo wasn't all he could be, but he was young and healthy. Jerry really screwed the pooch by not finding a replacement for Glenn after his knee went out. We would have cruised past NY with a true #2 to pair with the injured TO.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But I feel Dak did his individual performance turn around last season with maybe his worst o-line and running game of his career, so if we can just draft some winners on that front, I would think Dak is prime for having a great year again.
"last season with maybe his worst oline"

Tyron 2nd Team All Pro. Martin 1st Team All Pro. Biadasz with his best season. Tyler had a great season.

The only weakness was Steele, who was pretty bad, but the rest of the oline was very good to great.

The best oline since 2016, which was up there with the best olines of all time.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MM is a much better coach for the deal he’s getting. The team the last two seasons hasn’t been very talented in comparison with the top of the league and he got 12 wins out of both teams.
We played in the NFC LEAST
With a defense that was near the top in points allowed and was top in defensive points scored. Seriously we're always near the top in penalties and the guy can't call a TO to save his life, or in this case his job.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

I'm going:
  1. 2019 50%
  2. 2010 49%
  3. 2014 1%
The circumstances are totally different. The Cowboys have the best pass rusher in the NFL and the 2nd best receiver in the NFL with a top quarterback. The Cowboys can go 12-5 or be 8-9. With the schedule I say 11-6 NFC East champs. As always though it’s about what team we are going into the playoffs. I say 2014.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well how could it be a rebirth when we've had three straight years of 12 and five? Literally have won 36 games 2 division titles and going to the playoffs three straight years... It can only really go One Direction it can remain on course AND END THE SAME OR BETER or you can have another 2019 scenario where you lose a few more games than you did the year before, and changes are coming.

I don't like to be taking wild guesses before the roster set before we see training camp and preseason but I can see this team winning 10 games go 10 and seven make the wild card getting hot and then everyone assuming Mike McCarthy's jobs in jeopardy but all of a sudden they get to an NFC championship game, than 2014 happens MM gets new deal maybe Dak stays and many still wont be happy they wanted change and will be disappointed...

SlammedZero

Reaction score
That's insane. It's crazy where the time goes. I remember watching that play like it was last year.

plymkr

Reaction score
I’m going with 2017. With Zeke being uncertain from game to game if he’ll play and then getting suspended for 6 games really did in the season. Being down a couple offensive linemen and not having a running back will hurt the offense next year. I’m thinking 8-9 but losing a lot of close games, some in the division. Also our schedule is tougher this year. So my guess is a mix between 2010 and 2017