Which one hurts the most, 2008 or 2015?

robbieruff

Reaction score
As a long long long time Cowboys fan (I got my first taste of it back in the mid-70's), coming into a year with SB expectations is not an usual thing (although I must say that was a more common occurrence in my younger days that the recent past 10-15 years. I suppose that is what is so awesome about being a Boys fan...based on past performance, there is always that underlying hope that magic will happen and some how some way they will rise up to greatness once again (Yankees, Lakers, Celtics, Niners, Steelers and similar fans also embody this sentiment). All storied franchises...all known as "winners" at one point or another and always expected to be there again...at least "in the conversation."

2007 and 2015 - both were seasons preceded by "near misses" in the prior years (2007 13-3 and number one seed in NFC only to lose to eventual SB winning Giants despite dominating them statistically in every possible category in the game...but undone by T.O. injury, horrible penalties, and a sure-handed WR, Patrick Crayton, somehow forgetting how to catch the football and run proper routes).

Now, 2008 was a season where we collapsed at the end vs. this one (early collapse)...so you can have different reasons for your "source of pain" as a fan watching this Greek tragedy unfold before your eyes.

But...no denying that BOTH this year and that year were steeped in super high expectations coming in...the "this is our year" rhetoric was flowing from a fire hose from both fans and media alike.

I have an opinion on my end which I will hold back as to not bias the conversation...but I am curious to hear from others...and please share a reason for your choice.

PoundTheRock

Reaction score

By now you should be used to this team being utterly inept. Back then they had a roster that been stocked and a team that been primed for success by Parcells. 2015 just feels like what the Cowboys typically do in the Romo/Garrett era.

Everson24

Reaction score
This year actually hurts worse. As weak as the NFC was in 2008 (the 9-7 Cardinals went to the Super Bowl) the NFC is probably weaker overall and there for the taking this year and with a healthy Romo and Dez we really had a team that could have made it to the Super Bowl.

Tony Romo and Jason Witten are also at the very end of their careers so it makes this collapse even tougher to endure.

daveferr33

Reaction score

By now you should be used to this team being utterly inept. Back then they had a roster that been stocked and a team that been primed for success by Parcells. 2015 just feels like what the Cowboys typically do in the Romo/Garrett era.

My feeling as well.

2008 was when I realized we were never winning anything of significance with the current organizational structure. I backed off on that standpoint a bit last season, but always wondered whether 2014 would end up being the high water mark of the Garrett era.

PoundTheRock

Reaction score
My feeling as well.

2008 was when I realized we were never winning anything of significance with the current organizational structure. I backed off on that standpoint a bit last season, but always wondered whether 2014 would end up being the high water mark of the Garrett era.

I thought for a brief moment they maybe just maybe they could overcome the way this organization is run. As down as I am on Garrett as a tactician, I HOPED he was turning into someone who could lead the organization. Nope. They've got a head case DE running amok and he's not even playing well. They managed to find two backup QBs so incredibly inept that they couldn't win 1 game out of 7 (it wasn't all on them, but they both really suck). Weeden, in particular, was just a misstep that no organization should've made. They really should've seen this Weeden thing coming last year too. He cost the team a first round bye and they did nothing about it. The missteps of 2008 are right there in 2015, which says that basically this organization hasn't learned in 7 years.

Doomsay

Reaction score
15, because we only have a year or two of Romo's Magic left.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Agree.

This could be worse but I've been punished so much as a Cowboy fan over the last decade that I am almost numb to it.

robbieruff

Reaction score

I have to say this one got a bit of a chuckle out of me...and yes, you're right in saying that the mind-numbing seasons that have occurred between 2007 and now have sort of created a "why am I not surprised?" mentality. This organization has become used to underperforming and playing down to competition that even the most fervent supporters probably temper their enthusiasm...post traumatic shock from years of having hopes dashed I suppose...good point.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
I only got into the sport during the 2008 season so personally this as I didn't have any expectations going into that season.

PoundTheRock

Reaction score
44-6 hurt really bad, but it was topped by Jerry's affirmation of Cupcake and Garrett.

I enjoyed the revenge tour in 2009, but realistically Wade should've been fired that day. Garrett shouldn't have survived 8-8 part three (probably should've never gotten the HC job to begin with, but whatever), but he not only survived that. He will survive this disaster of a season too. I would say Jerry Jones doesn't learn, but he's not really trying to.

cmoney23

Reaction score
This year is horrible for me. We should/could be running away with the East and be in a position to get a very high seed in the play-offs. Now it's almost like a lost season, not to mention we have been in EVERY game without Romo so you can't even just "enjoy the loss" they give you false hope!

(excluding the pats game)
My hope is Romo comes back and just re-energizes this team and they don't lose the rest of the year. At least then, we can say, "SEE!!!"

DallasInDC

Reaction score
This year actually hurts worse. As weak as the NFC was in 2008 (the 9-7 Cardinals went to the Super Bowl) the NFC is probably weaker overall and there for the taking this year and with a healthy Romo and Dez we really had a team that could have made it to the Super Bowl.

Tony Romo and Jason Witten are also at the very end of their careers so it makes this collapse even tougher to endure.

:hammer:This.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
2008 because Cowboys still had a chance for a wildcard @ least and they couldn't win the last 2 games, Also, that was the year where the #1 team was a divisional rival that wasn't playing the best football since the Plaxico incident and the Steelers played a tough game against the Cowboys earlier that year.

That 2008 would have been a special year imo if they joined the dance.

lostar2009

Reaction score
2008 we was a screw ball team. This go around we just suck in some phases.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The thread should have been titled 2010 vs 2015 (Which one hurts the most?) because both seasons were very similar. Both teams were coming off playoff wins the previous seasons and expectations were very high. Romo ended up going down both seasons and they turned into epic disasters. Heading into the 2008 season the Cowboys were coming off one of the most disappointing seasons in franchise history in 07 having gone 13-3 leading to a #1 seed and were knocked out in the divisional round by a Giants team they beat twice that season. Sitting home and watching the Giants win the SB vs a undefeated NE team was extremely disappointing. I wasn't convinced like many that the 08 team would rebound after what happened in 07. I had a feeling all the expectations everyone had entering that season would blow up in our faces.

With expectations so low heading into last season with most expecting a real down year the Cowboys surprised much like they did in 09 with a solid season and a playoff win. Unfortunately what we were expecting last season we got this season. I was on my guard heading into this season especially with the loss of Murray I knew his departure would have a negative impact. I posted many times during the offseason I didn't think the Cowboys would be as good this season. I was very concerned about the running game knowing that Romo would likely have to do more which could lead to him having a less efficient season or an injury. I certainly didn't think it would be as bad as it's been this year but with Romo going down and our entire backfield from last season gone and the defense continuing to disappoint winning games was going to be a challenge.

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
This one because Romo and Witten are another year older. They were younger then and you could hope for change. :(

PLUS we're out of it way earlier.

PLUS our division is so awful we should be crushing people.