Which player on defense surprised and is a keeper?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jaylon is too soft. He is too indifferent. He needs gone. Thomas is better.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Diggs is a second rounder, he shouldn't be considered a surprise. If he is, then we should use our 2nd rounder to trade for the best 3rd year player in the league at a position of need every single season.

Rayman70

Reaction score
like I said, It has to be Wilson. he has been a real steal.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
For biggest surprise I would actually say Aldon Smith and Randy Gregory even though Aldon faded. If you had bet a nickel on Aldon Smith 12 months ago you would have more money than Jeff Bezos right now.

I say Aldon too. I thought he was a good flyer, but considered him doing well if he just made the 53.

So many people just wrote him off when we signed him. 5 years blah blah blah.

What surprises me was how his season went, though in retrospect, it makes some sense. I thought that *if* he made the 53, he'd start slowly and get better as the season went on. Instead, he peaked early and just ran out of gas.

It was probably just the lack of football conditioning catching up with him. I bet he looks like early season for much more of next year. Somebody is going to get a good player. We should make decent offer now and see if he bites. I'd feel good at 6mil, expecting to make that up on upside.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
like I said, It has to be Wilson. he has been a real steal.

Steal, but not so much of a surprise. We saw him making some plays in preseason last year. Lots of people high on him. Relegated to the bench by Garrett/Marinelli in their last year. Another reason they deserved to be sacked.

kskboys

Reaction score
Clear cut Donovan Wilson

But there were players who improved as the yr went on.

Diggs was playing soft and was getting eaten alive early with soft coverage. The more aggressive he played as the yr went on the more plays he made on the ball and started getting turnovers.

Jaylon as much as he's hated on this forum started playing really good later in the yr when Nolan stopped dropping him into coverage. And to no suprise the better the DTs started playing the more plays Jaylon started making. This is how uneducated most fans are because they like to fault Jaylon for getting eaten alive by OL not knowing that the DTs are supposed to shield him from OL to get to the ball. Once that started happening he started getting pressure on the QB started getting stops at the LOS.

Gallimore started playing ok after being lost early. Started getting inside push. When early teams were running at will on the team late in the yr teams were struggling to run some.
Can you please get this memo to Jerry?

garyv

Reaction score
For me, it was Donovan Wilson. That dude should have been named starter from week 1. He got better and better as each week passed. He became our James Washington type Safety...JUST MAKES PLAYS AND is always around the ball. He is fearless and has some swag. TO ME, on our win streak, HE was the catalyst. He and Dlaw, Gallimore , Diggs are all building blocks and cornerstones. Everyone else can be waived as far as Im concerned. Wilson gives me hope. That guy brings toughness and a belief.HE IS THE ANTI XAVIER WOODS. Mike McCarthy and Nolan did the team no favors by not starting him early. Thoughts? Who is your player ?

Actually 3 in this order

Wilson
Diggs
Gallimore

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Randy Gregory, Donovan Wilson, Tevon Diggs, Neville Galimore

I think Dallas is set at #1 CB and SS. It'll be interesting to see how Canady fits into things (if at all)

I Think Randy still has his best football in front of him.

I think Galimore got better as the season went on and an offseason will make him better.

streetcredit

Reaction score
Exactly, Ray Lewis would have been knocked on his azz but we had an entire thread claiming it was a bad play by Jaylon.
Jaylon does not want it, comparing him in any way to Lewis is a joke...he is soft, I suggest we find out what he's made of and use this ingredient in toilet paper

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Jaylon does not want it, comparing him in any way to Lewis is a joke...he is soft, I suggest we find out what he's made of and use this ingredient in toilet paper
He wasnt compating him to Lewis, what he said is that Lewis wouldve struggled behind these DTs aswell. Which actually Lewis went thru this in the middle of his career and called out his front office to fix the problem.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Wilson
Galimore
Diggs

none are super stars....I have to see more. but at least good rotational guys.....Diggs showed some good and was bad at other times.....lets see if he can improve next year...
Galimore needs more coaching, has some of the skills but still very raw

Wilson has a knack....not sure if he will ever be a superstar, but he can be solid....

This would be my list too. I may get killed here but I still think Anthony Brown is very underrated in these parts.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Randy finally showed what all the fuss was about.

If You consider the Punter as a quasi defender, then Hunter (nice job on the name Mr & Mrs N) was good too.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Wilson was a player that didn't get noticed last season even though players had mentioned he was lighting it up in practice. This season, he got an opportunity and played pretty decent for having an absolute garbage FS. More times than not he made plays in games.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Exactly, Ray Lewis would have been knocked on his azz but we had an entire thread claiming it was a bad play by Jaylon.
The problem with Jaylon is he rarely sheds his blocker and blows up any plays for a loss running through traffic hitting the RB in the backfield for a loss. He is always moving east and west watching and gets caught flat footed and having to go into chase mode. He doesnt have that seek and destroy mentality of the better LBs in the league.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Steal, but not so much of a surprise. We saw him making some plays in preseason last year. Lots of people high on him. Relegated to the bench by Garrett/Marinelli in their last year. Another reason they deserved to be sacked.
guess my point is he has turned into a starter...SOME of us saw it early, but the vast majority on the outside had no idea about him. I saw what you did early when he arrived here. IMO, he is James washington reincarnated lol...same number too. They both play with the same swag and mindset.