Which players need to play lights out this Sunday?

ethiostar

Reaction score
I know its a team sport and all and that the entire team needs to play very well in order for this team to get a win this Sunday. But, a few players absolutely need to bring their 'A+' game to give this team a shot.

So, if you were to pick only three players who need to elevate their game this Sunday, who would they be?

Here are mine....

Flozell Adams---- He needs to play better than he has played the last few games. He has to be able to give Brad an extra second or two to find his receivers. He has to be able to contain the Giants pass rush on his side of the line as much as possible. Or else Brad is dead.

Canty ----- i could have easily put Spears here but Canty has not been playing up to his potential. He needs to be disruptive and bring more pressure on the QB. We need to get to Eli, but Ellis, Ware, and Spencer need the help of the DL to be successful. Ratliff has been doing his thing and Spears has been so so. It's time for Canty to step up his game. This will greatly help our young and banged up secondary tremendously.

Bennett ----- with Witten likely out for this game, Bennett needs to come in and be the outlet reciever for Brad in addition to excuting his blocking assignments. He needs to bring a complete game. When he catches the ball he needs to get as many yards as possible after the catch, which he seems to do real well anyways. This is his time to shine and prove his worth as a second round pick.

Obvioulsy, I could have mentioned many players here but i believe that these three could prove to be difference makers.

What are your three?

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Flozell needs the game of his life to make up for the last few.

Throw in Greg Ellis. He's been M.I.A for a few weeks as well.

I would also like to see Patrick Crayton return a punt for a TD.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What? Is the title of this thread a trick question?!!

What players need to play lights out?

ALL OF THEM! EVERYONE OF THEM! Three players are not going to make a difference in a TEAM sport...

(now i feel better)...

:cool:

ethiostar

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2388108 said:
Flozell needs the game of his life to make up for the last few.

Throw in Greg Ellis. He's been M.I.A for a few weeks as well.

I would also like to see Patrick Crayton return a punt for a TD.

I agree on Elli, he needs to step up his game. As for Crayton returning a punt for a TD, it might be too much to ask. I would settle for a return of any amount, period.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
All of them.

Ellis has been doing his job well. He's in coverage more than I'd like. You know they do have coverage responsibilities. If they bring the house then it will be harder for NY to slip guys out of the backfield.

STs have to step up. Lots of individual battles there.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
ALL OF THEM!!!! Oh, you said 3....
1- Brad Johnson. By "lite's out" for him I mean about 225yds, no pix, and 2 TDs (which is about avg for our beloved #9).

2-Defensive line (I know I'm cheating but...). This unit has to be disruptive in the pass and run game. They don't have to register sacks (94, 98, & 93 should handle that ;) ) but we'll need them to get in the backfield, slow down B. Jacobs and nullify their play-action passing game.

3-MBIII. Johnson needs a running game to keep the Midgets' d-line honest and the Barberian should fit the bill! We'll need a c-note's worth of work outta him and at least one TD IMO.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
jobberone;2388157 said:
All of them.

Ellis has been doing his job well. He's in coverage more than I'd like. You know they do have coverage responsibilities. If they bring the house then it will be harder for NY to slip guys out of the backfield.

STs have to step up. Lots of individual battles there.

That's why I don't understand the "Ellis isn't performing" crowd.

Special teams need more starters in there. Period. It's not getting better. At the very least they'd cover for some of Reads incompetence.

My three........

Offense
Defense
Special teams.................for the love of GOD!!! STOP giving opponents half a field. I'm begging here...........

Thomas82

Reaction score
BehindEnemyLinez;2388159 said:
1- Brad Johnson. By "lite's out" for him I mean about 225yds, no pix, and 2 TDs (which is about avg for our beloved #9).

2-Defensive line (I know I'm cheating but...). This unit has to be disruptive in the pass and run game. They don't have to register sacks (94, 98, & 93 should handle that ;) ) but we'll need them to get in the backfield and slow down B. Jacobs and nullify their play-action passing game.

3-MBIII. Johnson needs a running game to keep the Midgets' d-line honest and the Barberian should fit the bill! We'll need a c-note's worth of work outta him and at least one TD IMO.

Easier said than done for him.

MagicMan

Reaction score
I've got a feeling the defense is going to bring it like they did against the Bucs; so the player that has to play lights out will be Bad Johnson, I mean Brad Johnson. He is going to have to be more accurate with the 10-15 yard passes and be able to get the ball to our WR's, not just try to check down all the time. Especially with Witten and Felix out.

We know Roy W and TO can make plays once they get the ball......but BJ needs to get them the ball. The 'Boys will need at least 4 TD's to win this game. Maybe Eli will play like he usually does and give us one himself.

So my three are:
1) Brad Johnson
2) Mike Jenkins (needs to cover the Gnats best receiver)
3) Brad Johnson (yeah, I know, but he does have to play 100% better than he has).

mitchell2254

Reaction score

2-Defensive line (I know I'm cheating but...). This unit has to be disruptive in the pass and run game. They don't have to register sacks (94, 98, & 93 should handle that ;) ) but we'll need them to get in the backfield, slow down B. Jacobs and nullify their play-action passing game.

You lie, we all know Romo is good for at least 1 pick a game.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Seven;2388164 said:
That's why I don't understand the "Ellis isn't performing" crowd.

Special teams need more starters in there. Period. It's not getting better. At the very least they'd cover for some of Reads incompetence.

My three........

Offense
Defense
Special teams.................for the love of GOD!!! STOP giving opponents half a field. I'm begging here...........

They don't see 6-9 sacks so he must not be performing. They have no clue how to play LB and don't understand LBs must cover at times. Maybe it's because Ellis is considered a pass rusher or DE. He does a very good job of getting into coverage which still amazes me. He looks awkward doing it but he gets it done most of the time. He's a player. I wish he could be turned lose more often though. I just don't know enough 3-4 to understand when and why they can and can't send him. Beyond the basics.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jobberone;2388195 said:
They don't see 6-9 sacks so he must not be performing. They have no clue how to play LB and don't understand LBs must cover at times. Maybe it's because Ellis is considered a pass rusher or DE. He does a very good job of getting into coverage which still amazes me. He looks awkward doing it but he gets it done most of the time. He's a player. I wish he could be turned lose more often though. I just don't know enough 3-4 to understand when and why they can and can't send him. Beyond the basics.
Did he not have coverage responsibilities last year?

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Ware and Spencer.

We have to dominate on defense and these two have to live in the Giants backfield. We must hit Manning early and often.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
theogt;2388202 said:
Did he not have coverage responsibilities last year?

Of course. His number of sacks are down. But we don't know if he's being sent more or less this year. I do know he's not coming every down. I can't 'prove' he's playing well and you can't prove he isn't. I only know what I see and you don't hear a lot of noise about his playing poorly from anyone but some here.

Teams are game planning as well against Ware and Ellis. And Ellis has never been the player Ware was. Then again there aren't many in the league playing at his level.

ethiostar

Reaction score

That will be the key for Brad, IMHO. That will give us a chance in this game.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
jazzcat22;2388239 said:
How about the coaching staff bring their A game also.

Oh how I hope so. I do hope they have a game plan Johnson can execute and then him go out and do it. Johnson has to have a decent game at least.

ethiostar

Reaction score
jazzcat22;2388239 said:
How about the coaching staff bring their A game also.

You are right it all starts with them. I hope the defense continues to build on last week's game. On offense, Garrett has to be creative in his play calling than what we've seen so far this season.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
The only one I feel that really needs to setp up and make good decisions is Brad Johnson. Its really on him to make this happen, 5 yard dump offs arent going to do it this week.