Which players need to play lights out this Sunday?

ethiostar

Reaction score
Coakleys Dad;2388300 said:
The only one I feel that really needs to setp up and make good decisions is Brad Johnson. Its really on him to make this happen, 5 yard dump offs arent going to do it this week.

I will take the 5 yard dump offs all day as long as we get some YACs and no turnovers.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jobberone;2388215 said:
Of course. His number of sacks are down. But we don't know if he's being sent more or less this year. I do know he's not coming every down. I can't 'prove' he's playing well and you can't prove he isn't. I only know what I see and you don't hear a lot of noise about his playing poorly from anyone but some here.

Teams are game planning as well against Ware and Ellis. And Ellis has never been the player Ware was. Then again there aren't many in the league playing at his level.
Well, he's on pace for about half as many sacks, and I doubt very seriously that he's in coverage twice as much as last season, so........

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
theogt;2389352 said:
Well, he's on pace for about half as many sacks, and I doubt very seriously that he's in coverage twice as much as last season, so........

More than likely in coverage more. He went and told Jerry he needed to get at the QB more so it appears he's doing something other than edge rushing. His specialty.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Pick any 3 on the OL. BJ cannot do anything if he's on his back.

My 3:

Flo - got to dominate the much smaller Tuck & Kiwanuka

Columbo - see above

Proctor/Gurode - got to attack Robbins' injured hand, smack that thing hard each and every down_put a helmet on it if you have to

Mansta54

Reaction score
BAT;2389375 said:
Pick any 3 on the OL. BJ cannot do anything if he's on his back.

My 3:

Flo - got to dominate the much smaller Tuck & Kiwanuka

Columbo - see above

Proctor/Gurode - got to attack Robbins' injured hand, smack that thing hard each and every down_put a helmet on it if you have to

He's had plenty of time to throw but he's just inaccurate and missess. He's even off on the short throws.. My 3 are:

1) Brad Johnson
2) Brad Johnson
3) Brad Johnson

scottsp

Reaction score
The front seven, no doubt. Not only will this defense need to help protect the secondary, but I believe this is a game we must force turnovers. This is one of the best - if not the best - offensive lines in football. Personally, I would put them at the top.

And our offensive line. New York is stingy against the run and can rush the passer. Spagnuolo is one of those creative pressure coordinators and we all know he will be loading up against the check-down attack today. If we have any shot at making their defense pay, our protections must be on-point.

Mansta54

Reaction score
scottsp;2389414 said:
The front seven, no doubt. Not only will this defense need to help protect the secondary, but I believe this is a game we must force turnovers. This is one of the best - if not the best - offensive lines in football. Personally, I would put them at the top.

And our offensive line. New York is stingy against the run and can rush the passer. Spagnuolo is one of those creative pressure coordinators and we all know he will be loading up against the check-down attack today. If we have any shot at making their defense pay, our protections must be on-point.

They can be run on tho. They're quick but small, and we ran down their throats last year with MB3 and I watched the Browns flatout manhandle their D-line in the running game this year.

scottsp

Reaction score
Mansta54;2389425 said:
They can be run on tho. They're quick but small, and we ran down their throats last year with MB3 and I watched the Browns flatout manhandle their D-line in the running game this year.

Yes, that's true. That Monday nighter seemed to be the exception rather than the rule. Cleveland was lights-out that game. They could do no wrong.

Mansta54

Reaction score
scottsp;2389450 said:
Yes, that's true. That Monday nighter seemed to be the exception rather than the rule. Cleveland was lights-out that game. They could do no wrong.

The Steelers were running on them as well and had a deep ball for 6 called back. The Giants are very beatable even with our banged up team. Eli will throw us the ball if we get to him as well.... BJ is the absolute key to this game. HE HAS TO PLAY MUCH BETTER!!!!!!

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
1. Brooks Bollinger (one can hope, right?)
2. Fatzell Adams (get off your butt)
3. Mike Jenkins

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Pretty much everyone needs to play well as many people as we have out, but I think our front seven and Ken Hamlin really need to bring their hard hats today because I fear that big idiot Jacobs bulldozing us all day. As much as I can't stand him, it looks to me like he's playing better than last year. If we can't stop him, the rookie corners and the pass rush won't matter much.

But Jenkins needs to play well because the Giants like to go deep. I'd mention Scandrick, but I already have faith in him.

Roy Williams needs to go up and take the ball away from defenders on inaccurate passes. (So does TO, but he's not good at that.)

Martellus Bennett needs to get his assignments right and use his ability to make plays. Just doing "okay" won't be enough today.

The o-line and Barber need to get it together because if we don't run it, we have no chance.

khiladi

Reaction score
jobberone;2388157 said:
All of them.

Ellis has been doing his job well. He's in coverage more than I'd like. You know they do have coverage responsibilities. If they bring the house then it will be harder for NY to slip guys out of the backfield.

STs have to step up. Lots of individual battles there.

So what if he has coverage responsibilities? EVery linebacker in a 3-4 has coverage responsibilities. WHen he is rushing the passer, he isn't getting any pressure. That is the bottom line.

Further, if Greg Ellis is in coverage enough that it affects his pass rushing, than this coaching needs to be questioned, because his strength is not coverage.

But his pass rushing isn't his specialty either, per his whole career track record. His specialty has always been stopping the run.