Which position is strongest in the NFL 2021 Draft?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It depends it looks like. It depends on who’s making the rankings and what team they support. For example the Browns say OT and Edge both positions they need and diss the QB’s. The point is no one really knows. Even though there are a boat load of QB’s slated to go in the 1st round, history tells us many, if not most, will not live up to their 1st rd grade. You can’t make a ranking that is legit until 3-5 years out.

From ninersnation.com

2021 NFL Draft: QB, OL, edge rushers, and WR are the deepest positions

From giants.com
Wide receiver is shaping up to be the premier position after an early look at the 2021 draft class.

From bleachers.com
The deepest four positions according to Bleacher Report’s Maurice Morton: Quarterback, Offensive Line, Wide Receiver, and Linebacker.

From the draft network.com
Edge rusher

Stripehype.com
Offensive tackle and EDGE positions

Phillyvoice.com
WR, OT, QB

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Read a tweet Sunday that the WR position is just as deep as last year.......strong statement.

morasp

Reaction score
After the top three Surtain, Horn, and Farley there seem to more CBs than usual that could see the field in the NFL.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
After the top three Surtain, Horn, and Farley there seem to more CBs than usual that could see the field in the NFL.
I was just about to post the same there’s a ton of talent. Asante Samuel jr is another name

morasp

Reaction score
I was just about to post the same there’s a ton of talent. Asante Samuel jr is another name
Even without the scouting combine, as the draft process moves along it should be interesting to see how many are in the top 100 lists.

Creeper

Reaction score
Timing is everything. What we are certain of is this year's class is not deep or strong at the DT position which is the Cowboys greatest area of need.

But after 2 years of strong WR drafts, doesn't CB become even more important?

I'd like to see Dallas grab one of the top CBs and sign Tomlinson or Rankins for shore up the middle of the DL. Then get a safety in the draft and a LB.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Uh, it's WR in a landslide. The class doesn't have the hype this year - probably because of opt outs and the limited schedule - but it's close to last year's.

Last year, 11 WRs went in the top 50, could have the same thing this year. Off the top of my head...

Chase, Marshall (LSU)
Smith, Waddle (ALA)
Moore (Purdue)
Bateman (MINN)
Collins (MICH)
Toney (FL)
St. Brown (USC)
Eskridge (W Mich)
Brown, Newsome (UNC)
Surratt (Wake)

Could all work themselves into that top-50 conversation. I'm not sure this class has the same upside as last year's, but after the top 3-4, they're more complete WRs than last year's for sure.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depth is the tricky part of judging a draft. It can be deep because there really isn't a 5 star at the top so you don't miss as much in the 3rd round from the 1st.

The other tricky part is judging any draft too early. Take this last draft with WR's. The 4th WR taken, Jefferson, was the best of the bunch but only after one year but the quality of the 3 taken before him, Ruggs, Jeudy and Lamb were excellent in college.

The same situation will be present in this draft with some excellent college WR's and that seems to be the most prevalent position every year now, mainly because of the evolution of college offenses.

The other element to this that is making the QB's and WR's effective early in their NFL career is the NFL adapting to the college game instead of trying to make the players transition.

vicjagger

Reaction score
I'm not sure anything comes close to the WRs. But lots of research left to do.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
It’s WR and it’s not even close.

QB is stronger than normal. Lawrence, Fields, Jones, and Wilson could all end up being starters.

I think DT has a lot of solid, but unspectacular players, as well as LB.

J-man

Reaction score
I'd say WR and OL are probably the deepest for higher quality guys.
But IMHO, most of the other positions are thin at the top talent level, but have good-decent players all the way through the draft.

conner01

Reaction score
Read a tweet Sunday that the WR position is just as deep as last year.......strong statement.
Last years was amazing
But it seems like as college ball has become more pass oriented they develop more WR

conner01

Reaction score
It’s WR and it’s not even close.

QB is stronger than normal. Lawrence, Fields, Jones, and Wilson could all end up being starters.

I think DT has a lot of solid, but unspectacular players, as well as LB.
QB classes always get over rated because the need is always so great
The last few years the WR’s have been very good and I think it’s because there is more passing so they use more WR’s and they get more reps to refine their game

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
I definitely think it's WR. I might add while not elite top level talent, the CB position is pretty solid as well.