Which QB as missed the most games the last 10 years?

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can find this stat...I can't find it. I'm tired of the Haters saying Romo is ALWAYS injured. My buddies always say Romo can't make it a full year and that he's an injury prone player and has missed more games than any other QB..

JDSmith

Reaction score
Games started since 2006. It's not perfect because some of the players started their careers after 2006, but it gives a total number of starts between 2006 and 2016

Player Season Finder Query Results | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Edit: for some reason it's got a few other positions in there although it was supposed to show only QB's. But it's still a basis to compare starts. From there you just have to tweak it. Might want to start with 2007 though, since Romo came into the 2006 season later and that would cost him a few starts on that list.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Since he became the full time starter (2007) Romo has started 117 games for an average of 13 games per season. Eli Manning and Philip Rivers have missed zero starts in that same period - 144 starts. So for 2007 to now Eli/Rivers have started 27 more games than Romo, which is getting close to 2 full seasons. When people say Romo has been injured and missed time, they are not wrong.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I'm tired of the Haters saying Romo is ALWAYS injured.
In an offense that often depends on Romo holding onto the ball longer to improvise his way to big plays, in a league whose officials have NEVER given him a roughing the passer call in the 4th quarter (and very few in any quarter over his career), it's no surprise that he's injured as often as he is.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can find this stat...I can't find it. I'm tired of the Haters saying Romo is ALWAYS injured. My buddies always say Romo can't make it a full year and that he's an injury prone player and has missed more games than any other QB..

So now they've gone from he sucks to he's always injured and it's inevitable that it will eventually fall back on he's never won a Super Bowl, aka, Marino, Fouts, etc. If I were you I would laugh at them and ask them if that's all they got.

He's played 15 out of 16 games four out of the last five years.

Reaction score
Romo has missed a lot of games, but I wouldn't count that as a negative on him. He likes to hold the ball which leads to big plays and injuries,,, Rothlesberger has the same problem. What compounds the problem is that a significant percentage of those years he was playing with a crap OL and a crap team that forced him to push the edge. Broken ribs, collar bones, wrist, back,,, he'd be safer playing in interstate traffic.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Since he became the full time starter (2007) Romo has started 117 games for an average of 13 games per season. Eli Manning and Philip Rivers have missed zero starts in that same period - 144 starts. So for 2007 to now Eli/Rivers have started 27 more games than Romo, which is getting close to 2 full seasons. When people say Romo has been injured and missed time, they are not wrong.

2 other qbs isn't much of a comparison

He's missed:
0 (partial season)
The vast majority of his missed games (22 of 27) are from 2 seasons with the broken collar bone. Outside of that he has had 0 or 1 missed games in almost every season, and no more than 3.

All but 1 game missed were due to broken bones.

JDSmith

Reaction score
2 other qbs isn't much of a comparison

He's missed:
0 (partial season)
The vast majority of his missed games (22 of 27) are from 2 seasons with the broken collar bone. Outside of that he has had 0 or 1 missed games in almost every season, and no more than 3.

All but 1 game missed were due to broken bones.

The link I provided lists all QB's, not just Eli and Rivers. Those two are the standard, simply because they have missed zero games. And although he's missed most of it in big chunks, he has missed more time than most of the big names who have played since 2007. As for the broken bones, it doesn't make a difference. He's been hurt, he's missed time. Had he not broken bones or been injured in some other way he could have played in 27 more games than he has since 2007, 27 games that some other more fortunate or durable QB's have played in.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Romo has missed a lot of games, but I wouldn't count that as a negative on him. He likes to hold the ball which leads to big plays and injuries,,, Rothlesberger has the same problem. What compounds the problem is that a significant percentage of those years he was playing with a crap OL and a crap team that forced him to push the edge. Broken ribs, collar bones, wrist, back,,, he'd be safer playing in interstate traffic.

Romo puts himself at much greater risk than a guy like Eli. Eli will throw the ball into the dirt to avoid a sack. If Romo had the same playing style as Eli he would probably have avoided a lot of his missed time. But of course he wouldn't be as good as he is, because he does make something out of nothing and he's always looking down the field as he's avoiding the rush. I'd like to see him take less of those risks at this point in his career, because he's getting older and it gets tougher to bounce back. On the plus side, in 2014 he appeared to pick his spots more and not take the risks with the same frequency as he had earlier in his career. I think a big part of that is because he believed in the running game, and that should be the case again this year. He's not likely to feel pressured to make every play, because he can believe in the guys around him to help carry the load. All we need is a middle of the pack defense.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Romo puts himself at much greater risk than a guy like Eli. Eli will throw the ball into the dirt to avoid a sack. If Romo had the same playing style as Eli he would probably have avoided a lot of his missed time. But of course he wouldn't be as good as he is, because he does make something out of nothing and he's always looking down the field as he's avoiding the rush. I'd like to see him take less of those risks at this point in his career, because he's getting older and it gets tougher to bounce back. On the plus side, in 2014 he appeared to pick his spots more and not take the risks with the same frequency as he had earlier in his career. I think a big part of that is because he believed in the running game, and that should be the case again this year. He's not likely to feel pressured to make every play, because he can believe in the guys around him to help carry the load. All we need is a middle of the pack defense.
Its very easy to throw the ball in the dirt when you know you wont get an intentional grounding penalty. Just saying.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
without looking anything up, I would say Bradford has to be high on the list.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
In football you can't go back 10 years. Players fall off quickly.. People who say Romo is an injury waiting to happen are going by the last few seasons. Face it he has a chronic bad back and he ain't getting any younger. The body just doesn't bounce back. I live in Tampa and see Winston take 5 hits every game that would retire Tony.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
In an offense that often depends on Romo holding onto the ball longer to improvise his way to big plays, in a league whose officials have NEVER given him a roughing the passer call in the 4th quarter (and very few in any quarter over his career), it's no surprise that he's injured as often as he is.

They hate America...

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Irrelevant Romo is 36 years old with a bad back let's hope he can make it eight games this season

That's relevant

erod

Reaction score
Folks ignore the reality.

Before last year, Romo missed two games in four years.

Truth.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The link I provided lists all QB's, not just Eli and Rivers. Those two are the standard, simply because they have missed zero games. And although he's missed most of it in big chunks, he has missed more time than most of the big names who have played since 2007. As for the broken bones, it doesn't make a difference. He's been hurt, he's missed time. Had he not broken bones or been injured in some other way he could have played in 27 more games than he has since 2007, 27 games that some other more fortunate or durable QB's have played in.

The problem with just looking at total games missed (which he was still 8th according to the link) is that it is not really an accurate indication of how often he gets hurt since it includes the severity of those injuries. If he has 2 injuries that are 10 games each, and someone else has 4 injuries that are two games each, then the 2nd guy is getting hurt more often even though he missed far fewer games.

Generally speaking, Romo is likely to start 15 - 16 games in a season.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
In football you can't go back 10 years. Players fall off quickly.. People who say Romo is an injury waiting to happen are going by the last few seasons. Face it he has a chronic bad back and he ain't getting any younger. The body just doesn't bounce back. I live in Tampa and see Winston take 5 hits every game that would retire Tony.

One game missed due to his back so far. That's what it's based on?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

Rivers played under Norv which features a system with longer pass routes. Eli played in a long pass route system until McAdoo came along.

And the injuries Romo has suffered have not been from late hits.

That's kind of a curious case with Romo...his injuries are something that will legitimately put any QB out, but they are not too serious to hurt his future play. He's had thumb injuries, the collarbone and now the back. Although the back injury wasn't too severe and it was caused on a random play, almost freakishly.

The issue as I see it is that the collarbone is very susceptible to being broke after it has been broken for the first time. And the back injury is something you don't want to ever have because backs are a really tricky part of the body. And I just think at his age, he is very susceptible to having that one injury that greatly decreases his ability to perform forever. And we still treat him like he's got 5 years to go, no problem.

YR

plasticman

Reaction score
Stafford has missed 17.3% of games in which he was going to start. Romo has missed 16.8% not including a game #16 when he sat after Cowboys clinched all that they could.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Rivers played under Norv which features a system with longer pass routes. Eli played in a long pass route system until McAdoo came along.
It's one thing to play in a system with routes that take longer to develop, and another thing to stand in there and actually try to complete those passes at times when the defense knows what's coming. On targets of 15+ yards when trailing by two scores or less in the 4th qtr/OT Romo leads the NFL with a 53% completion rate (Rivers 45.5%, Eli 37.2%). And Romo's never had roughing the passer called in the 4th qtr or OT of a game.

Also, roughing the passer covers much more than late hits. It includes hits with the defender's head down, blows to the passer's head or neck area, hits to the knee or below, clubbing the passer's arm during a pass, hits using any part of the helmet or face mask, or driving the passer into the ground. Romo takes a lot of these types of hits without a flag.