Which TE would you rather have?

shnagy

Reaction score
TE #1:
57 Receptions 650 yards 11.4 avg. 5TDs

TE#2:
27 Receptions 247 yards 9.1 avg. 2TDs

Sorry AJM looks like poor Chad Lewis just doesn't measure up to Witten. So much for your little comparison earlier this season. Comparing these two players is quite laughable. Witten wins easily. :D

Reaction score
Considering the Eagles pass to L.J. Smith also, you can't really compare Lewis to Witten. I may have missed AJM comparing Lewis to Witten at some point, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here.

AJM1613

Reaction score
It was Smith to Witten and before the injury, he had better numbers.

I'm willing to compare all the other starters on our teams...

Seriously...all of them...

Hell even Pinkston had a 100 yard game yesterday.

;)

shnagy

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

I'm willing to compare all the other starters on our teams...

Seriously...all of them...

Hell even Pinkston had a 100 yard game yesterday.

;)
Come on now, Witten is about the only bright spot on the offense.....right now that is, so i know everything else the Eagles have is better. I didn't know Smith had an injury, so sorry for that. I was just pointing out that Witten is an emerging star, and you really wanted to point out that Smith had better stats at the time. So now I'm pointing out who has the better stats :D . However, we know who has the better team record :mad: .

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

Oh so it's ok to compare Smith's numbers to Witten's numbers back when Dan Campbell (the starting TE) was healthy, but now that Smith got hurt it's not ok anymore?

Gimme a f'in break. Witten is by far the better TE. It's not even debatable. :rolleyes:

shnagy

Reaction score
Rack said:
Oh so it's ok to compare Smith's numbers to Witten's numbers back when Dan Campbell (the starting TE) was healthy, but now that Smith got hurt it's not ok anymore?

Gimme a f'in break. Witten is by far the better TE. It's not even debatable. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the backup. Smith isnt even in Wittens league. End of story.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
shnagy said:
Thanks for the backup. Smith isnt even in Wittens league. End of story.

Exactly. Witten is the cowboys primary weapon and he's still putting up good numbers.

LJ Smith is an afterthought to opposing defenses cuz they have to worry about TO and Westbrook. Yet LJ still isn't doing as well as Witten. Hell, 1 or 2 of LJ's TDs came off a shovel pass. Yeah, he had to beat someone to get open for that shovel pass. :rolleyes:

You could of got a lineman to catch a shovel pass and if the blocking is good he'll score. LJ has done nothing special to get open. He gets open cuz of TO. Witten is our primary weapon, defenses know that, yet he still gets open.

And Witten is a helluva lot better blocker then LJ as well. Comparing LJ to Witten is like comparing Jerry Rice to Todd Pinkston.

shnagy

Reaction score
Rack said:
Exactly. Witten is the cowboys primary weapon and he's still putting up good numbers.

LJ Smith is an afterthought to opposing defenses cuz they have to worry about TO and Westbrook. Yet LJ still isn't doing as well as Witten. Hell, 1 or 2 of LJ's TDs came off a shovel pass. Yeah, he had to beat someone to get open for that shovel pass. :rolleyes:

You could of got a lineman to catch a shovel pass and if the blocking is good he'll score. LJ has done nothing special to get open. He gets open cuz of TO. Witten is our primary weapon, defenses know that, yet he still gets open.

And Witten is a helluva lot better blocker then LJ as well. Comparing LJ to Witten is like comparing Jerry Rice to Todd Pinkston.
You make some great points there. I loved the analogy LMAO.

AJM1613

Reaction score
Rack said:

Hey who's our starting TE? Has he been hurt?

Witten was playing behind someone and so is Smith.

Campbell got hurt the same week that Smith tore his rotator cuff in his shoulder.

Through three games,

Smith:

10 catches for 150 yards and two touchdowns.

Witten:

12 catches for 121 yards and one touchdown.

I'm not saying that Smith is a better player, and I'm not using injuries as an excuse because obviously Witten is having a better season...

-BUT-

If Lewis went on IR and Witten injured his shoulder...things could be different.

You said it best yourself. Witten is your only offensive threat, just like Antonio Gates, just like Eric Johnson, just like Alge Crumpler, just like Tony Gonzalez...

How are there seasons going? :rolleyes:

Teams that play from behind like yourselves have to throw more and when you only have two offensive threats, one an average/above average receiver and the other a good tight end, someone has to get the catches.

I wouldn't say they arn't in the same league...No matter how bad your team is, there is no 1-AA in the NFL...

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
Hey who's our starting TE? Has he been hurt?

Witten was playing behind someone and so is Smith.

Campbell got hurt the same week that Smith tore his rotator cuff in his shoulder.

Through three games,

Smith:

10 catches for 150 yards and two touchdowns.

Witten:

12 catches for 121 yards and one touchdown.

I'm not saying that Smith is a better player, and I'm not using injuries as an excuse because obviously Witten is having a better season...

-BUT-

If Lewis went on IR and Witten injured his shoulder...things could be different.

You said it best yourself. Witten is your only offensive threat, just like Antonio Gates, just like Eric Johnson, just like Alge Crumpler, just like Tony Gonzalez...

How are there seasons going? :rolleyes:

Teams that play from behind like yourselves have to throw more and when you only have two offensive threats, one an average/above average receiver and the other a good tight end, someone has to get the catches.

I wouldn't say they arn't in the same league...No matter how bad your team is, there is no 1-AA in the NFL...
LOL at the last line...but....

You would have to be the most biased/blind homer to think they are even comparable. Whats even funnier is that we got witten with a 3rd!

AJM1613

Reaction score
RW31 said:
You would have to be the most biased/blind homer to think they are even comparable. Whats even funnier is that we got witten with a 3rd!

I think Witten is the better tight end, but that doesn't mean they're not comparable.

As I said, under similar situations, Smith had the better numbers.

shnagy

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
I think Witten is the better tight end, but that doesn't mean they're not comparable.

As I said, under similar situations, Smith had the better numbers.
Well actually, think of it this way: Smith is just a role player, while witten is about the only real star on our team. Opposing teams focus on stopping witten, while no one really cares about smith. So when smith catches one, its because TO and the other receiver weren't open and he was the only option available. Thats the way i figure it, i might be wrong, but it seems logical. :cool:

Reaction score
I don't understand how you guys are saying they're not even comparable. Smith will never be the blocker and complete Tight End Witten is, he doesn't have the body for it, but as an athlete and pass receiver, he's pretty damn good. I would say Witten is a better route runner, and Smith is just more athletic and faster. As receivers, they're about on the same level as far as i'm concerned.

shnagy

Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:
I'd rather have cooley....HB/TE......... :D
Geez, i wonder why? Seriously thought, cooley is good, but i'd take witten any day over him.