White water rafting

Hoov

Reaction score
I like to go on action/adventure trips for vacation. Been whitewater rafting a few times.

I went down the gaulley river in WVA last year when the water was really high from a good week of rain. We had a blast, 5 of our 7 rafters were ejected from the raft at different times. Going through one of the nasty falls this girl fell over but her feet were still locked in, i dropped my paddle to pull her back in and we lost both guys in the front, the raft spun around and we went over the fall backwards just as i pulled this girl in while the guide was yelling directions to the dudes who took an involuntary swim so that they could avoid some of the rocks. i look over and my buddy who doesnt know how to swim is freaking out while the guide is yelling at him to paddle harder before the raft gets caught up on a rock and flips.

There was another fall called hawaii five-o, about a ten foot drop and right when we were coiming up on it we saw on overturned raft from the group in front of us bobbing in the current and stuck at the bottom of the fall. we missed it by 2 feet. Man, that was the best trip Ive had yet....

But I'd reallylike to go Peru, they have a trip that is 6 days in a row of class V to class VI rapids through the deepest canyon in the world. You take a 2 day trek with a mule just to get down into the gorge and reach the water. There's also the option of exploring the Inca trails that are nearby, something Ive always wanted to do. This would be the ideal vacation for me. Think Im gonna start saving for this, maybe make it next summer.

Anybody else into whitewater rafting or other types of adventure trips ?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I am really really really interested in backcountry backpacking. I have gone on some dayhikes, but, alas, my meager college wages do not allow me to actually plan a significant trip.

But hey - thanks for bringing up a good topic. :mad:

Hoov

Reaction score
a couple years ago i took my daughter and hiked up MT manadnock (? spelling), in New Hampshire, my cousin lives about 20 mins away. it was a decent hike, nice view from the top. But nothing that exciting, i know what you mean about planning for a real good trip. Its tough to save for something like that, always seems like something more pressing comes along that you need to spend money on.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have been to gauley river and the new river gorge white water places to visit some friends....have not did the white water rafting thing though...bad ears.

They also have bungee jumping on Bridge Day of the new river gorge bridge, although I think it was canceled this last season.

I would like to do some hand gliding up in that area one day.

Hoov

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I have been to gauley river and the new river gorge white water places to visit some friends....have not did the white water rafting thing though...bad ears.

They also have bungee jumping on Bridge Day of the new river gorge bridge, although I think it was canceled this last season.

I would like to do some hand gliding up in that area one day.

Yeah, hand gliding would be really cool, ive never done that. I'll pass on the bungee jumping though.

These guys i know want to get me to go parachuting.....man i am terrified of that.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I have done the white-water-rafting here in WVa and it is great.

I had a lot of fun w-w-r on the Chatahoochee River in Georgia too. (that was where "Deliverance" was filmed, but we didn't see any of those folks. ;)

I would like to hang-glide but haven't yet. Parasailing was a lot of fun at the beach.

I did a bungee swing once and it was awesome.

Hoov

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:

I had a lot of fun w-w-r on the Chatahoochee River in Georgia too. (that was where "Deliverance" was filmed, but we didn't see any of those folks. ;)

I would like to hang-glide but haven't yet. Parasailing was a lot of fun at the beach.

What beach did you parasail at

Hoov

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
Ocean City, MD.

Once over the bay, and once over the ocean.

I figured it may have been over a bay area, they offer it at LBI and i've thought about trying it.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:

I want to do a trip on the Colorado... we have Class 4 rapids about 2 hours north of where I live... I need to get there...

I did the parasailing a few times... all in Mexico... I also did the bungee swing in Florida... it is a blast...

Hoov

Reaction score
trickblue said:
I want to do a trip on the Colorado... we have Class 4 rapids about 2 hours north of where I live... I need to get there...

I did the parasailing a few times... all in Mexico... I also did the bungee swing in Florida... it is a blast...

Trick, i would like to do the colorado as well. But this trip in Peru looks like the ultimate rafting experience.

All the rivers i have done have really slow spots then 20-30 seconds of intense rapids, then another 3-5 minutes of slow spots. I talked to a guide that runs some of these trips in S America and he was saying it is nonstop, flying down the river, if your team needs a break you have to pull the raft over to the riverbank. he was raving about what a good time it is.

trickblue

Reaction score
Hoov said:
Trick, i would like to do the colorado as well. But this trip in Peru looks like the ultimate rafting experience.

All the rivers i have done have really slow spots then 20-30 seconds of intense rapids, then another 3-5 minutes of slow spots. I talked to a guide that runs some of these trips in S America and he was saying it is nonstop, flying down the river, if your team needs a break you have to pull the raft over to the riverbank. he was raving about what a good time it is.

That sounds like a blast... I am an adrenaline junkie...

Hoov

Reaction score
Me too, but i dont like falling as in bungee jumping or parachuting.

trickblue

Reaction score
Hoov said:
Me too, but i dont like falling as in bungee jumping or parachuting.

You should try the bungee swing... now that is cool!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hoov said:
I like to go on action/adventure trips for vacation. Been whitewater rafting a few times.

I went down the gaulley river in WVA last year when the water was really high from a good week of rain. We had a blast, 5 of our 7 rafters were ejected from the raft at different times. Going through one of the nasty falls this girl fell over but her feet were still locked in, i dropped my paddle to pull her back in and we lost both guys in the front, the raft spun around and we went over the fall backwards just as i pulled this girl in while the guide was yelling directions to the dudes who took an involuntary swim so that they could avoid some of the rocks. i look over and my buddy who doesnt know how to swim is freaking out while the guide is yelling at him to paddle harder before the raft gets caught up on a rock and flips.

There was another fall called hawaii five-o, about a ten foot drop and right when we were coiming up on it we saw on overturned raft from the group in front of us bobbing in the current and stuck at the bottom of the fall. we missed it by 2 feet. Man, that was the best trip Ive had yet....

But I'd reallylike to go Peru, they have a trip that is 6 days in a row of class V to class VI rapids through the deepest canyon in the world. You take a 2 day trek with a mule just to get down into the gorge and reach the water. There's also the option of exploring the Inca trails that are nearby, something Ive always wanted to do. This would be the ideal vacation for me. Think Im gonna start saving for this, maybe make it next summer.

Anybody else into whitewater rafting or other types of adventure trips ?
White water rafting, deep sea fishing, hot air ballooning, skydiving, scuba diving, bullriding. I haven't tried base jumping or bungee jumping but I would.

Adrenaline is so much fun.

Hoov

Reaction score
Hostile said:
White water rafting, deep sea fishing, hot air ballooning, skydiving, scuba diving, bullriding. I haven't tried base jumping or bungee jumping but I would.

Adrenaline is so much fun.

Skydiving, i kept calling it parachuting, couldnt think of the word LOL. My martial arts master instructor keeps asking me to go "walk on the clouds" with him. so far ive been passing on this activity.