Who all uses Air fryers?

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Have any of you folks ever tried to bake a potato in one? and did it work right?

nobody

Reaction score
Have any of you folks ever tried to bake a potato in one? and did it work right?

I've never tried, but I would think it would work fine. Wrap the potato in foil and it should get nice and evenly cooked all over. The question is how much faster would it cook than a conventional oven. You don't want a charcoal briquet.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since it is nothing more than a small convection oven, should work fine.

I started using the America’s Test Kitchen way several years ago and it’s a winner. Don’t use foil, instead make a dip out of salt and water, heavy on the salt, and let that dry on a rack. Cook it at 350 for 50-60 minutes, depending on size, take it out and crank it up to 400 and brush oil on the skin and put it back in for 10 minutes. Cut diagonal slits across the top of the potato and push in on each end and voila, high end steakhouse baker.

Creeper

Reaction score
Since it is nothing more than a small convection oven, should work fine.

I started using the America’s Test Kitchen way several years ago and it’s a winner. Don’t use foil, instead make a dip out of salt and water, heavy on the salt, and let that dry on a rack. Cook it at 350 for 50-60 minutes, depending on size, take it out and crank it up to 400 and brush oil on the skin and put it back in for 10 minutes. Cut diagonal slits across the top of the potato and push in on each end and voila, high end steakhouse baker.

I do something similar with potatoes when I back them. I brush them in olive oil then give them a good coat of salt all over. Then bake them in the air fryer, oven, convection oven or whatever. The skin is crispy and salty.

HungryLion

Reaction score

We don’t bake potatoes in it. However, we my wife makes this kielbasa and potato dish in ours. She uses the little Yukon gold potatoes. The tiny ones. They come out great. Crispy on the outside. Soft on the inside.

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
Do they tend to smell up the kitchen/house? I talked to one guy who used his in his garage because of the strong cooking smell. But, he wasn't sure that he was doing it correctly.

catiii

Reaction score
Forgive the slightly off topic but I've used an air fry and nothing works better than this in the oven for anything. I make pizza in mine and heaps of other things. You can also use it to broil things.
A flat griddle cast iron pan w handle with shallow sides. Easy clean up with a paper towel or you can cover it w foil. $25 bucks You'll love dis ting I ga-ron teeeeeee.

718DkrfbU8L._AC_UL320_.jpg

Last edited:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The Ol Lady turns out some awesome baked potatoes out of the air fryer. I think she gives them a minute or two in the microwave to par cook them, then hits them with a little avocado oil from a spray can and a bit of seasoning. The precook in the microwave is just to speed things up.

She also does fries, which are the best not deep fried fries I've ever had.

Only reason we have an air fryer is because we borrowed one when the oven was down for a few days. It's one of those things I didn't know I couldn't live without until I lived with it.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
When I make tacos, I like to take the shells and I use a knife to put refried beans in the bottom of them. Throw them in the air fryer at 360 ( with or without the beans) until they are crisp. Put meat, cheese, cabbage, salsa, and good to go. Shells come out perfect

Sometimes when I am reheating tacos, I put the meat in them, and stand them upright in the air fryer. it works out

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Air fryers are great for reheating leftovers. Much better than microwave. Also, you can put foil in the air fryer to cook with, so hardly any mess to clean up. It's a win for me.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
It's worth it. Like already mentioned, anything frozen (fries, mozzarella sticks, etc) heat up well. I make chicken wings and bread them first. They're not bad.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have one. I know people who cook whole meals in them. I'm not there, yet. I only cook frozen food stuff. I also spray the items with cooking spray, because it was too dry for me.

I tried to make some biscuits in them and burnt them to hell, so yeah, back to the regular oven you go. lol

Praxit

Reaction score
..we got one for Xmas two years ago. Used it once.

But for sake getting healthier about things. We decided, we're going to try it out again.

Instagram app, has many feeds on peeps using Air Fryer. That's how we got impulse to try again.. ;)