Who are legitimate contenders in the NFC?

Bigtex67

Reaction score
Watson is an example of how you simply leave your disgruntled QB be for a while, let some time pass....then suddenly people aren't so upset anymore.

Each of those QBs will play this season where they currently are.

Guaranteed.

Not so sure Watson is playing anywhere this year, unless it is the "California Penal League" (Major League)

Flamma

Reaction score
How did I know just by the title that there would be some talk of "but if this or that go our way we're contenders"?

The defense was middle of the pack in 2019, in fact better then that (top 12), and we still went 8-8.

A middle of the pack defense means nothing when your offense does nothing against above average competition.

Yeah, the AFC has a lot more good teams, especially of Rogers goes over to that side. But what difference does it make? You still have to be really good to make any impact. Whether there are 3-4 or 20 good teams in your conference, you only play two or three of them in the playoffs. Fewer good teams might help in making the playoffs, but if you're not that good, you're not going anywhere.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Again, i'll ask you.

If a league average defense is all we need then why did we go 8-8 in 2019 with the #1 ranked offense and a top 12 defense?

The "league average" fantasy continues despite some of us pointing out countless times that doesn't work, even if you have a great offense.

Nine straight SB champs with top 10 scoring defenses, and all 5 Cowboys SB champs had one as well.

We have fans who think the Cowboys can 38-28 their way to a SB. At best that gets you to the playoffs, and then you lose.

MikeB80

Reaction score
The saints still have a good roster and an excellent head coach. Everything said here about Dallas is also true of Atlanta...if the defense and the new coordinator/hc are good the team has a chance since the offense is so good. Arizona is also another good team along with green bay.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Happens a lot , when they get desperate it lowers to name calling, I'm use to it, it's part of who they are.
It's a part of who we all are.
With some exceptions.

Ah well, nobody's perfect. I know I'm not.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
They'll compete, but I don't believe they will win the division. I think it's between Washington and New York and I have Washington winning it.

I'm allowed to have my opinion even if you do not agree with it.
Just curious why you think Washington wins it

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I know his answer:
Their defense and their coach and they won the Division last year.

What do I win?
Wait... I haven't won yet.
What will I win?
Yep they were 7-9 last year with a better QB but going to be great this season. Add that they have a 1st place schedule next season and I see them struggling. There is a reason Fitzpatrick has never done much when relied on as the guy. He gives you a couple games and that's about it.

Plus I seen he said something about they played the Bucs well in the playoffs...... well that's easy when they not really any tape on Heinicke

Corso

Reaction score
Yep they were 7-9 last year with a better QB but going to be great this season. Add that they have a 1st place schedule next season and I see them struggling. There is a reason Fitzpatrick has never done much when relied on as the guy. He gives you a couple games and that's about it.

Plus I seen he said something about they played the Bucs well in the playoffs...... well that's easy when they not really any tape on Heinicke
I breathlessly await his response.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cardinals went from 5-10-1 in 2019, Murray's rookie year, to 8-8 in 2020, where Murray made Pro Bowl. I expect a very competitive year from them and I would call them a contender.

Washington under Rivera has a real deal defense and that will get you places. They feature a defensive line comprised of all their 1st round picks from 2017 to 2020. They missed a combined 1 game in 2020. Their WR's, 3rd round picks in 2019 and 2020, are young but extremely productive. Their RB, another productive rookie, averaged 4.7 yards a carry. This offense is young and should be much improved this season. I believe the Football Team should be taken very seriously and they are contenders.

The Saints have lost their star and leader Drew Brees. They still have their leading rusher and receiver in Kamara. Last season nine former Saints #1 draft choices were on the roster. The team is well built and both offense and defense ranked #5. Most importantly, they still have the same Head Coach and you can count on this team to remain competitive. They are still contenders and if Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer, and Jeff Hostetler can start a Super Bowl championship team, so can Jamies Winston. Again, this team has the coach who can make this happen

Corso

Reaction score
The same reason I think New York has a shot to win it also. Defense.
Three ways to win it:
Shoot 'em out
Grind 'em out
Or go the Garrett way and hope you get the ball last after making sure it's a one score game through conservatism.