CFZ Who are the best NFL GMs and What Makes Them Effective?

Sheepherder

Reaction score
The best GMs are willing to acquire talent by draft, trade and free agency. They do not limit themselves to just one option. They also don't overcommit CAP to their players. They are always trying to get better.

One thing about Jimmy Johnson is he was never satisfied with the roster. "we like out guys" is another way of saying we are satisfied with the roster we have.
This makes me think of the first year in the 90s when Dallas went to the superbowl. Dallas struggled a little bit so what does Jimmy do? He goes and trades for Charles Haley and the rest is history.Jimmy knew what would get them over the top.

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think good GMs surround themselves with NFL SCOUTS, football people, and
LISTEN TO THEM.
Jerry seems to be drafting much better, and I think Daks issues have given him a big slap in the face. Maybe, just maybe we'll finally draft a QB in the first couple rounds.

Otto65

Reaction score
I think Bill Belichick is the best GM. He has a good eye for talent. He usually doesn’t break the bank for the better players. Plus, he has a good idea when his players are on the decline. I’m not a Patriot fan but they have been very consistent for last twenty years

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Seems to me the biggest problem in Dallas is the FO gets attached to a player or players and they pretend they’re all family. Sometimes they like a player’s personality. Sometimes they feel attached because they already gave the player a big contract. All of this attachment for whatever reasons needs to stop.

Don’t get attached till the player wins you at least one SB, even then don’t get too attached.

EJK24

Reaction score
Great post @Bobhaze

The fact that we can't use free agency to upgrade this team is unbelievable. The constant excuses about the cap and signing bottom of the barrel free agents seriously puts at a disadvantage.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The Rams are done, they got their jewelry but now they are toast. Old team and having to get rid of star players. They totally collapsed 1 year removed from their SB Parade. Draft picks traded away. My rather be us right now, all of our draft picks and a much younger team than the Rams.
Sorry. They have a title. Much rather be them. Saw people laughing at the Eagles that they were done too. Well they are back and we're still stuck in the middle.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems to me the biggest problem in Dallas is the FO gets attached to a player or players and they pretend they’re all family. Sometimes they like a player’s personality. Sometimes they feel attached because they already gave the player a big contract. All of this attachment for whatever reasons needs to stop.

Don’t get attached till the player wins you at least one SB, even then don’t get too attached.
Jerry falls in love with his drafted players and keeps them too long. These accountable GMs know it’s win today or they’re gone tomorrow. JJ and SJ waste whole decades (see Jason Garrett) because they are accountable to no one for results. Great GMs never assume a good player will play at the same level year after.

T-RO

Reaction score
As they polish their Lombardi.
If I was a Rams fan I wouldn't be happy with
1 Super Bowl
3-5 years of complete famine in exchange

That Stafford-Goff trade was a monstrosity.

Rams have nothing to look forward to. No cap space. No good young players. No draft picks.

EJK24

Reaction score
If I was a Rams fan I wouldn't be happy with
1 Super Bowl
3-5 years of complete famine in exchange

That Stafford-Goff trade was a monstrosity.

Rams have nothing to look forward to. No cap space. No good young players. No draft picks.
So you wouldn't trade a superbowl for that? We have been competitive but have sniffed a SB. I'd take a SB over what weve done and not think twice.

T-RO

Reaction score
I think Bill Belichick is the best GM. He has a good eye for talent. He usually doesn’t break the bank for the better players. Plus, he has a good idea when his players are on the decline. I’m not a Patriot fan but they have been very consistent for last twenty years
Bill is clueless about NFL passing talent - QBs and receivers

He is beyond brilliant with defense.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Know what may be nice?

Being ahead of something instead of what seems like an endless lifetime of plugging the holes of the previous season.

T-RO

Reaction score
So you wouldn't trade a superbowl for that? We have been competitive but have sniffed a SB. I'd take a SB over what weve done and not think twice.
-Rams went 5-12 this year.
-Star players in hard decline
-Have the least cap space in the league
-No first round pick in draft

If you think you can feast on a super bowl and then be happy eating mice for 3-4 years?

EJK24

Reaction score
-Rams went 5-12 this year.
-Have the least cap space in the league
-No first round pick in draft

If you think you can feast on a super bowl and then be happy eating mice for 3-4 years?
It's personal opinion, so yea I would. I don't want to lose for 3-4 years but if they are losing for those seasons after winning a SB, yea it's much more tolerable then a team that never gets there and is just competitive but never wins.

tm1119

Reaction score
And proving you don’t have to have an “elite“ QB to compete for a championship.
Please name the other examples of current teams competing for a championship without a great QB. The Niners are the exception, not the example. If you want to play the “once in a decade” game a try to win a SB with a Flacco type good luck

cowboyec

Reaction score
Please name the other examples of current teams competing for a championship without a great QB. The Niners are the exception, not the example. If you want to play the “once in a decade” game a try to win a SB with a Flacco type good luck
the eagles.

LysleE

Reaction score
Sadly, Jerry is too egotistical and too much of a narcissist to step down as GM and let someone else get the credit for running the team.
I think it has been proven that improving the team solely through the draft is now archaic; the good teams playing deep in the playoffs have all been aggressive in acquiring players via trade and/or FA. To the contrary, Dallas trades a 1st round pick for a WR and then trades him for a 4th round pick…with no ramifications for the FO of course.

RS12

Reaction score
Total bs, people are just jealous of nepotism.
Good lord what an embarrassing post. You feel free to state your case though. Some how I doubt it tops mine which is the entire last 27 years. It's a football team, not a banana republic.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I think we draft much better than the Pats. Being a good GM is more than just drafting the best players...coaching matters...and we have not done great in that area. If are ability to pick coaches matched our ability to pick players....our curse would have been over a long time ago.