Who are you rooting for to become starters on the interior OL

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Going to be one the more interesting sets of battles we have had in some time. You have Looney, Williams, McGovern and Baidasz all fighting for two starting. Add to that, you have a guy in McGovern that could possibly end up starting at either spot.

Who are you rooting for to come out on top

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I prefer that the best player play.

The exception is playing both Biadasz and McGovern.
- Even if each won a spot, playing 2 OLinemen with zero NFL experience side-by-side is not a good idea to start the season.

My prediction:
Connor Williams at LG (if healthy)
McGovern at OC (unless they don't like his snaps)

If CW is not 100%, then:
McGovern at LG.
Looney at OC.

They also have the backup backup plan of Cam Erving.
- He has literally started NFL games at all 5 positions. He's probably as good or better than Xavier Sua-Filo.
- He might be better at OC than Looney but they'll want him primarily practicing at OT.

cowboyec

Reaction score
OG-Connor Williams...love to see him excel.
nothing against McGovern...but with everyone predicting his demise,I'd love to see him(CW) come in and blow people away.
C-Tyler Biadasz...be a great story...4th rd pick we traded up for comes in and wins the day.
and to transition from one Badger to another...be kinda cool.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will be interesting TC, and to see how the team lines them up. This is where OTA's are important. They could do the glorified walk throughs, see which players grasps the different line ups.

We know Smith, Martin, Collins

So it will be:
Williams, McGovern (how much do the trust Williams playing basically to a rookie C, I say rookie because he was on IR)
Williams, Biadasz (how much do the trust Williams and in his 3rd year playing next to a rookie C)
Williams, Looney (this may be the best option at first, since lack of OTA's right now) (Vets vs. rookies)

McGovern, Biadasz (doubtful at 1st, as 2 rookies starting without the OTA reps)
McGovern, Looney (I could see this as the 2nd option and vert close to my 1st options of happening)

Not really rooting for a certain combination though. Just put the 5 best out there. And not the best 5 players atheletically, but the best 5 combination to make the offense better.

Plankton

Reaction score
I'm rooting for the best possible five players across the board being on the field. If it's two, in effect, first year guys playing at LG and C, so be it.

What will be interesting will be who has the responsibility for the blocking assignments in this offense. Is it the C or does the QB have to call it out? That communication will be the most important thing to get squared away, because the talent level of the line is fine. Technique and communication are the critical items here.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

- Even if each won a spot, playing 2 OLinemen with zero NFL experience side-by-side is not a good idea to start the season.

My prediction:

If CW is not 100%, then:
McGovern at LG.
Looney at OC.

- He has literally started NFL games at all 5 positions. He's probably as good or better than Xavier Sua-Filo.
- He might be better at OC than Looney but they'll want him primarily practicing at OT.

I agree wouldn't be smart starting two rookies within the interior.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Prefer?
Martin, Biadazz, and Williams as I think they have the highest ceilings.
Prediction?
Martin, Looney, and Williams

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not rooting for anyone specifically.

I want everyone healthy so the best man wins the starting position not being handed one due to injury.

I have no dog in the fight. I just want the best possible OL on the field week one.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score

My prediction:

If CW is not 100%, then:
McGovern at LG.
Looney at OC.

Hahaha Connor Williams will lose out to IAG

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Going to be one the more interesting sets of battles we have had in some time. You have Looney, Williams, McGovern and Baidasz all fighting for two starting. Add to that, you have a guy in McGovern that could possibly end up starting at either spot.

By "interior lineman" I assume you mean RG, C, and LG. Martin owns the RG position so all we are talking about is the other two positions. Baidasz should be the man at C so that just leaves us the LG position. I'd like to see Williams earn that position but just as long as there is solid competition there, I'm going to be happy with whoever wins that starting job. I actually think the guy from Mexico (Garcia) could surprise us by earning that LG position.

Rayman70

Reaction score
don't care. I want the best guy that wins the job in camp. Regardless of how they got here or draft status...etc

Reactions: BAT

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

McGovern at guard and Biadasz at Center.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

My prediction:

If CW is not 100%, then:
McGovern at LG.
Looney at OC.

-We have to hope that McGovern is better than Williams. And if he is and its so obvious that he wins the guard job as a rookie, then that would mean he is really good. So McGovern winning the job is the best thing.

-Same thing with Biadasz. Looney is a career backup for a reason. WE have to hope that Biadasz can beat him out. Even as a rookie.

Then you have your stars back aligned properly. Your backup center is back to being a backup and your marginal guard is relegated to a backup at both tackle and guard.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree wouldn't be smart starting two rookies within the interior.

If they win the job as rookies that would be an indication of how good they are.

No one is just going to hand them the job. They have to win it.

DanA

Reaction score
The best result would be that the guys with the longest contracts become instant Pro-bowl players. But I think the beat outcome is Williams and McGovern as it’s a good mix of youth and experience.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm not rooting for anyone specifically.

I want everyone healthy so the best man wins the starting position not being handed one due to injury.

I have no dog in the fight. I just want the best possible OL on the field week one.

IN a perfect competition where the best player wins the job, the best outcome would clearly be

McGovern and Biadasz winning the jobs.