Who are your classiest athletes?

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
We've had several "greatest players, QBs, coaches" threads, but I haven't seen one on the athletes that show the most class. Of course everyone might define class a little differently, but I'm not talking flash, here. I'm talking about being team oriented, never placing blame, taking the blame, supporting your teammates, and respecting your opposition. That type of stuff.

My two classiest players ever are Roger Staubach and David Robinson. The buss gets an honorable mention based on his media interviews the last couple of years.

Who are yours?

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
john elway
joe montana
jack youngblood
elvin bethea
ronnie lott
roger staubach

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
zorg222 said:
ok, I've checked the list twice, no WRs qualify...
Then you're too young to remember guys like Lance Alworth and Don Maynard, I guess.

I am going to throw out a WO name that some will argue with, but as a kid, I found this man to be the epitome of class:

Bullet Bob Hayes.

His subsequent troubles with alcohol and drugs, and his incarceration, did nothing to change my mind. He was a man who had demons but was never proud or boastful, or played the blame game..he took responsibility for his actions and his fall from grace from what I recall of him.

He had a quiet dignity and reserve, struck me as a true gentleman with a decency that even the drug "life" couldn't rob him of..of course this was back when his kind of problem was still considered personal moral failing and not primarily society's fault. My dad, a lifelong Giants fan, had a great fondness for him, and would always call our attention to him...his demeanor as well as his speed.

To my recollection, he was a classy man, anyway.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Don't over look Emmitt, any true fan of the game will tell you he was all class. I can agree with Roger.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Then you're too young to remember guys like Lance Alworth and Don Maynard, I guess.

I am going to throw out a WO name that some will argue with, but as a kid, I found this man to be the epitome of class:

Bullet Bob Hayes.

His subsequent troubles with alcohol and drugs, and his incarceration, did nothing to change my mind. He was a man who had demons but was never proud or boastful, or played the blame game..he took responsibility for his actions and his fall from grace from what I recall of him.

He had a quiet dignity and reserve, struck me as a true gentleman with a decency that even the drug "life" couldn't rob him of..of course this was back when his kind of problem was still considered personal moral failing and not primarily society's fault. My dad, a lifelong Giants fan, had a great fondness for him, and would always call our attention to him...his demeanor as well as his speed.

Nice.

At Hayes' funeral, Calvin Hill said something about Hayes that I'll never forget. He said Hayes was the type of guy who knew the janitor.

It's a simple thing really, but it says a lot about a guy. This was once the fastest human on the planet and an all-pro football player, yet he always had time to visit with the guy who empties the trash can and cleans the toilets. He always was humble and never thought he was better than anyone else.

Since I read that a couple of years ago, I make it a point to know the janitor.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Don't over look Emmitt, any true fan of the game will tell you he was all class. I can agree with Roger.

Diamonds are classy.

No offense, but Emmitt had a surly side to him.

zorg222

nose picker
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

Bullet Bob Hayes.

Yeah, I made a no no, posting without thinking. Hayes was a classy player

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Good replies. I don't see anyone mentioned I would disagree with except the faceitous mention of TO. Thanks Yeag :eek:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually I always thought Roger, Danny White and Troy Aikman were class acts.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
David Robinson, Roger Staubach and Curtin Martin already have been mentioned and they would top my list.

I would add Darrell Green, Dale Murphy and Lou Gehrig.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chief said:
David Robinson, Roger Staubach and Curtin Martin already have been mentioned and they would top my list.

I would add Darrell Green, Dale Murphy and Lou Gehrig.

Good list Chief...

I would add:

Mickey Mantle
Catfish Hunter
Don Mattingly

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Some others I didn't see mentioned:

Moose Johnston
Wayne Gretzky
Ray Bourque

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Once ya got past the antics, I always felt Muhammad Ali was a class guy...especially later on in life.

Everyone figured he'd be a real jerk after the loss to Frazier but in fact, he was anything but.

For a time, he was the most recognizable face on the planet...met with leaders of several different countries and always carried himself with class and grace.

Currently, Derek Jeter is a real class act.

And of course, the Yankee Clipper, Joe D was a very classy guy.

Although I've never been much of a tennis fan, Arthur Ashe was about as graceful a person as we're ever gonna see.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
LeonDixson said:
We've had several "greatest players, QBs, coaches" threads, but I haven't seen one on the athletes that show the most class. Of course everyone might define class a little differently, but I'm not talking flash, here. I'm talking about being team oriented, never placing blame, taking the blame, supporting your teammates, and respecting your opposition. That type of stuff.

My two classiest players ever are Roger Staubach and David Robinson. The buss gets an honorable mention based on his media interviews the last couple of years.

Who are yours?

A very good question, and a very good thread... I have always said that I really only have 3 sports idols, and those 3 earned such status by virtue of being very good men, as well as very good at their chosen professions:

Tom Landry-- I'm sure I don't have to justify that choice on this board...

Jack Nicklaus-- no hint of scandal or impropriety has ever been associated with the Golden Bear's name... I vividly recall when Tom Watson and he went head to head in a British Open at Turnberry (I think it was 1977), after 2 days they were like light years ahead of the rest of the field, so that the final 36 holes were basically match play between them... Jack shot 66-66 and LOST... just played brilliantly, but Tom shot 65-66 (or 66-65), and won the thing... Jack was as gracious in defeat, even though he had to be bitterly disappointed, had to wonder what he had to do to win the thing, as he ever was in victory...

Cal Ripken-- I've been an O's fan for 40 years, and before Cal came along, Brooks was my favorite player... well, Brooks is number 2 now... some folks say that Cal "saved baseball" after the last player strike, but I think he just gave baseball an honorable face...

This question was actually easy for me to answer...