Who are your classiest athletes?

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
silverbear said:
A very good question, and a very good thread... I have always said that I really only have 3 sports idols, and those 3 earned such status by virtue of being very good men, as well as very good at their chosen professions:

Tom Landry-- I'm sure I don't have to justify that choice on this board...

Jack Nicklaus-- no hint of scandal or impropriety has ever been associated with the Golden Bear's name... I vividly recall when Tom Watson and he went head to head in a British Open at Turnberry (I think it was 1977), after 2 days they were like light years ahead of the rest of the field, so that the final 36 holes were basically match play between them... Jack shot 66-66 and LOST... just played brilliantly, but Tom shot 65-66 (or 66-65), and won the thing... Jack was as gracious in defeat, even though he had to be bitterly disappointed, had to wonder what he had to do to win the thing, as he ever was in victory...

Cal Ripken-- I've been an O's fan for 40 years, and before Cal came along, Brooks was my favorite player... well, Brooks is number 2 now... some folks say that Cal "saved baseball" after the last player strike, but I think he just gave baseball an honorable face...

This question was actually easy for me to answer...

Brooks Robinson is one of my all-time favorite athletes, too.