Who are your Free Agent targets?

cristglo

Reaction score
One player, I'm keeping an eye on is the Vikings' other safety. Harrison Smith. He's not a free agent but is in the last year of his deal. He's 32 but still had 5 interceptions this past season. They may release him ........
Ive been keeping my eye on him and I agree he could be a cap cut.

ccb04

Reaction score
In the unlikely category: S Marcus Williams,
DT Tomlinson and LB L. David

Some others I like & could be a bit more likely:
DT Shelby Harris, S Rayshawn Jenkins,
CB Troy Hill, K.J Wright

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
We will wait for the market to dry up, and then strike like an under payed union employee walking the picket line on a cold snowy night.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
In the unlikely category: S Marcus Williams,
DT Tomlinson and LB L. David

Some others I like & could be a bit more likely:
DT Shelby Harris, S Rayshawn Jenkins,
CB Troy Hill, K.J Wright
I would be overly satisfied with just Tomlinson.
Would much rather at least walk away with an instantly improved DL with just one signing rather than wasting money on paycheck collectors like Poe.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Our "splash" was changing DC's. Jerry will give him time to turn our garbage into diamonds. The draft needs to be a homerun each and every year, because we don't believe in spending cash via FA.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think they need to sign only 1 guy on defense and that is Dalvin Tomlinson - or Sheldon Rankins. I think with Brown and Diggs, they can draft a CB early and then go for a few backup corners later. They can draft a LB or two as well. With their comp picks they should be able to find a RB, and backup OL. If they do sign Tomlinson, I don't think they will sign anyone else in the top two tiers of free agency.

I am assuming they get a deal done with Dak though. If not, they need to draft a QB early, but I am also assuming in this case they trade Dak and get another 1st round pick. But with the CAP space freed from Dak's trade, they can get several players on the defense.

king987

Reaction score
I'm always a supporter of focusing on the draft to build a team.

That said, if its true that this draft class is pretty weak at the safety position, then I really want that to be a primary focus in free agency. I'm just tired of the safety position being a liability year after year, more often than any other else on defense for the last twenty years.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I'm always a supporter of focusing on the draft to build a team.

That said, if its true that this draft class is pretty weak at the safety position, then I really want that to be a primary focus in free agency. I'm just tired of the safety position being a liability year after year, more often than any other else on defense for the last twenty years.
Good teams do free agency too. At sone point leadership matters

quickccc

Reaction score
Agree. However, Suh wasn't truly effective until they got a NT beside him.

if you're relating to this year, Vita Vea missed much of the season with a broken ankle- and Suh still held his own en route to the Bucs No.1 run defense in NFL.

Imo, it's still starts with the big horses upfront. When 2016 NYG were among the top run defense in NFL, they did not have spectacular LBs like the Bucs do.
but it did wonders for serviceable type LBs.
When was the last time we had such physical imposing brutes in the interior ?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
McClay likes (fake)clever and Stephen likes cheap, all fits into Jerry's belief in striking oil.

Expect guys who were back-up's on bad teams.

Last year they got caught up in their misguided belief in Super Bowl champ Mike McCarthy, went out and rented him some washed up veterans. Stephen's allowance (unused cap room) suffered, so we'll go back to cheap and clever.

As far as who I'd want to see ...it's re-signing Dak (low 1st year cap #) , then restructure our usual candidates (Martin, Smith, Tank, now Cooper) to free up the cap room to sign Justin Simmons. I don't think a single player, that is possibly and reasonably available, would have a bigger impact for our Defense than Simmons would.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I think we have got to make one big signing. We have to get one difference maker.

I believe that we continue our poor strategy of sitting back and doing nothing.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think they need to sign only 1 guy on defense and that is Dalvin Tomlinson - or Sheldon Rankins. I think with Brown and Diggs, they can draft a CB early and then go for a few backup corners later. They can draft a LB or two as well. With their comp picks they should be able to find a RB, and backup OL. If they do sign Tomlinson, I don't think they will sign anyone else in the top two tiers of free agency.

I am assuming they get a deal done with Dak though. If not, they need to draft a QB early, but I am also assuming in this case they trade Dak and get another 1st round pick. But with the CAP space freed from Dak's trade, they can get several players on the defense.
Well done sir,, your getting it a bit,, heading in the right direction, your thinking is nearly perfect... :bow:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Ndamukong Suh, JJ Watt and Dak Prescott. Those three guys, a decent draft class and a healthy Oline, could get us a ring.

Let's just go all in for one year like the Eagles did a couple of years ago.