Who could fall to maximize our trade down value?

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Realistically, who would be the best candidate to fall to #18 and allow Jerry to do what he loves to do and trade down whil getting the best deal?

1. Winston Justice?
2. Jay Cutler?
3. Jimmy Williams?
4. One of the pass rushers/OLB?
Seems to me it would be Cutler, there is a glut of the OLBs and of DBs too. Justice may draw someones interest but we've heard of QB "starved" teams and not tackle "starved" teams although there certainly are teams in that situation.
As unlikely as it is Cutler would give us the best chance to strike a great deal.

Now, thinking more with a level head, in a trade down scenario, if Hawk, Greenway, Lawson and Wimbley are off the board before us than how much value does our pick hold for team wanting to get Carpenter or Sims?

dwmyers

Reaction score
You can't analyze this draft in terms of LB because this is a deep draft in linebackers, with good picks in the range from mid-to-late first through the third round.

Linebacker is seldom a glamour pick. You don't hear of many teams cutting running backs to pay a top rated linebacker. This whole linebacker focus I think is peculiar to this club's fans.

Bobby Carpenter has ratings from the high 20s to the mid 40s in terms of value. So who is going to trade to #18 to get him? My guess is, no one. Guys like Chris Gocong and Mark Anderson make it unnecessary to reach in the early rounds. If the value is there, fine. If not, trade into the second, which is considered the "meat" of this draft.

David.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
Realistically, who would be the best candidate to fall to #18 and allow Jerry to do what he loves to do and trade down whil getting the best deal?

1. Winston Justice?
2. Jay Cutler?
3. Jimmy Williams?
4. One of the pass rushers/OLB?
?

if Justice or Cutler are there when we pick I would think we wouldnt trade down and instead draft one of those guys ourself

Williams is going to be there, and we wont take him...nor do I think anyone is really going to want to move up and take him

David

Woods

Reaction score
I think if a RB that some other team has rated highly is available at 18, it could present a good scenario to trade down.

Specifically, I think the Colts would need a top RB if they want to try to get to the next level.

OR, it could be a team who has already drafted BEFORE us, but will give us their high 2nd and 3rd and maybe a 3 next year (as an example) for our 18 this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it could be Cutler, one of the top two receivers, or one of the running backs a team may be high on.

In my opinion, Cutler is the latest in a long list of "manufactured" first-round quarterbacks. Guys whose talent is better than their production ever was who get "pushed" into the first round when they shouldn't be.

It's been happening the past several years with guys like Ramsey, Boller, and JP Losman. I put Cutler in that group. Nice "measurables" but not the production to match.

But if Dallas could use his slide to find the next Bills' trade and get the player they want, I'm all for it!

boydhopkins

Reaction score
If Cutler is there at 18 and we dont take him that would be crazyness, i mean who really thinks Henson is gonna be the guy to take Dallas back to the promised land?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Way things look now I doubt that the Bills would even take the call. Considering we raped them pretty good last time.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Good question!

If we are talking about one particular player, I'd say Cutler.

The other thing that could happen to increase the trade value of #18, though, would be a run on a particular position.

For example, the Colts may be perfectly content with any of the top 3 RBs who are left after Reggie Bush is drafted. and the Colts would have no intention of moving up unless/until 2 of these 3 players are gone ....

So in this case, it isn't really about any particular player dropping to 18. Instead, it would be about how many other players for a particular position have been snatched up already ....

A run on CBs would be especially helpful to the Cowboys, I think.