Who decides who plays? Coaches, players, or?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was wondering the same things myself. I even wondered if the team should use a temp running back to back up Pollard while Zeke rests and heals. Do we have a RB on the practice squad? If not, is there a decent rent-a-player free agent to sign? Zeke clearly isn't himself. I confess I don't know the full details of IR -- isn't there a specified number of games a player has to be on IR? In any event, do whatever it takes to let Zeke heal.
We already have that backup RB on our roster- Cory Clement, the former eagle who scored a TD in the SB a few years ago and a decent STs guy for us now is the third back. He should already be playing in some spots to give Zeke time to heal.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only way I can answer this is to say that I've never once heard a player, present or past, say that Jerry decided he was playing.
I do not think even Booger would be forceful enough to let the players know what he does behind the curtain. Even if there is a trickle down effect on his team, he knows the chain of command has to stay intact during the games.

He owns it, he can do what he wants with it. The only thing I have ever heard from a player was that DB they had for almost a season commenting about team meetings being held up because the Joneses were running late as he'd never seen anything like that.

The fact is I have no idea what other GM's do although I know most do watch film and stay on top of the talent pool and so not seem to be as dependent on the scouts but then 30 of them work for the owner and are accountable to him for the time they put in and the results.

I can speak from personal experience and learning the hard way that if one has a level of management between them and their employees as I did with sales managers and program directors, the perception of those employees has to be they are in charge because I had them in that position. And I learned the hard way to stay out of the meetings because it is human nature for eyes to go in that direction to validate what they're hearing.

I have no idea of how "lose reins/tight reins' Booger is as a GM but I do think the word "meddle" doesn't fit because he owns it and can do whatever he wants with it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RGIII was never the same after Shanahan's decision to keep playing him while hurt. I hope the Cowboys aren't making the same mistake with Zeke
Are you certain that decision was all on Shanahan? I do not think he was ever all in on Griffin or he wouldn't have taken Cousins.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not think even Booger would be forceful enough to let the players know what he does behind the curtain. Even if there is a trickle down effect on his team, he knows the chain of command has to stay intact during the games.

He owns it, he can do what he wants with it. The only thing I have ever heard from a player was that DB they had for almost a season commenting about team meetings being held up because the Joneses were running late as he'd never seen anything like that.

The fact is I have no idea what other GM's do although I know most do watch film and stay on top of the talent pool and so not seem to be as dependent on the scouts but then 30 of them work for the owner and are accountable to him for the time they put in and the results.

I can speak from personal experience and learning the hard way that if one has a level of management between them and their employees as I did with sales managers and program directors, the perception of those employees has to be they are in charge because I had them in that position. And I learned the hard way to stay out of the meetings because it is human nature for eyes to go in that direction to validate what they're hearing.

I have no idea of how "lose reins/tight reins' Booger is as a GM but I do think the word "meddle" doesn't fit because he owns it and can do whatever he wants with it.
My take on the idea that “he owns it- he can do whatever he wants with it” is this: Yes that statement is certainly true but a wise owner would know that boundaries are necessary in an organization to make it run at its best and to maximize the talents of those he has hired.

If the last qtr century, if the Cowboys had ever made at least one decent playoff run, perhaps the “face of the franchise” super involved model Jerry and family have pushed would be more respectable. If winning in the playoffs is the goal of the Jones family, and they were as committed to that goal as they are in making loads of cash, they would have changed their style. But that isn’t as important as getting “to do whatever we want with our super cool toy.”

JayFord

Reaction score
The Owner of every team has the ultimate authority on who plays or who does not and that goes for all 32 teams

however the owner may not be a hands on owner and he may pass that down to coaches, the gm and the player last (unless hes the superstar of the team)

as far as the Cowboys are concerned Jerry is a hands on owner so he determines if a player can go but he will take imput from his staff