Who deserves the shaft?

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
This sums it up for me as well.

USC was #1 last year and has went undefeated this year.

I think auburn is a better team then OK.

I think it should be USC vs Auburn in the title game.

It would be a very good game to watch...you have Auburn with a strong running game and a great Defense...vs USC with a good passing game and underated runner IMO.

Would be a very good game.

I do not care how much hate I get from OU fans....IMO both USC and Auburn are better teams then Oklahoma.

I have not vested interest in any of the teams so it is not bias talking.

There is a reason it has been years since any team has went undefeated in the SEC...because it is the best football conference in the NCAA...Auburn has earned that spot vs USC IMO.

Exactly Brain, I'm not only an OU fan, I'm an alum. So if anyone has a vested interest in OU winning, it is me, and I agree with you 100%. The SEC is the toughest conference in America, and it's only more difficult considering it has a conference final. It's bad enough that Auburn had to face Tennessee once but now it has to face them again.

And the truth is the Big 12 conference is overrated. It was the best conference in 2000 and 2001 but since then Kansas St. and Nebraska have fallen off the face of the earth. The only legitimate teams in the Big 12 that can contend for a national title are OU and Texas. And that seems to be the same mantra year after year. I think the other Big 12 teams like OSU, and Texas AM are overrated and wouldn't be ranked if they played in a tougher a conference like the Big 10, ACC and SEC. And to be honest, I think the Pac 10's worst team could beat Kansas, and Baylor. The Pac 10 had an off year because Washington, Stanford, Washington St. and Oregan are usually ranked.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mr.jameswoods said:
Exactly Brain, I'm not only an OU fan, I'm an alum. So if anyone has a vested interest in OU winning, it is me, and I agree with you 100%. The SEC is the toughest conference in America, and it's only more difficult considering it has a conference final. It's bad enough that Auburn had to face Tennessee once but now it has to face them again.

And the truth is the Big 12 conference is overrated. It was the best conference in 2000 and 2001 but since then Kansas St. and Nebraska have fallen off the face of the earth. The only legitimate teams in the Big 12 that can contend for a national title are OU and Texas. And that seems to be the same mantra year after year. I think the other Big 12 teams like OSU, and Texas AM are overrated and wouldn't be ranked if they played in a tougher a conference like the Big 10, ACC and SEC. And to be honest, I think the Pac 10's worst team could beat Kansas, and Baylor. The Pac 10 had an off year because Washington, Stanford, Washington St. and Oregan are usually ranked.

You know I think the Pac 10 always gets a bad rep because they are known as Finesse passing teams with weak defenses for the most part over the years.

But USC has a good running game they can use, even though they are a passing team, and they have a physical defense like last year.

You make good points about the Big 12....nebraska's fall the last few years has really hurt that conf IMO.

Kansas State...well let's be real, the normally schedule weak non Conf teams and get an inflated record and then fall flat when they face a good team.

Hell Last year Marshall (MAC TEAM) went into Kansas State and beat them in their house...people screamed it was because KS starting QB was out...but then again we were also playing a backup.

Missouri came out this year and did not live up to expectations...I even expected a little more from them.

But Nebraska has really weakened that conf IMO.

I will say one last thing.

This years OU team is but a shadow of the OU teams of the last few years IMO....they are no where as good as they have been...they have showed it this year even though they are still undefeated.

I honestly think Auburn could beat Oklahoma, not easily, but still beat them...just no question in my mind.

I think it is a toss up with Auburn vs USC.

I think USC would destroy Oklahoma.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

We'll get to find out in a few weeks.

I think OU's defense may not be as good as it has been over the past couple of years... but their offense is the more balanced and dangerous than it ever has been under Stoops.

I don't think anyone is destroying anyone else in a National Championship game with the three teams in contention... but I'd be very surprised if OU didn't take care of USC considering how vulnerable SC's looked against some very below average teams on the road.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
This thing is over. It will be USC and OU in the NC game. Its rediculous to even keep considering Auburn a possibility. They are only get in if OU or USC slip one game. You folks probably dont know this but OU is closer to USC than Auburn is to OU in the drawn out BCS forumla. Do any of you debaters go and even look at the BCS scores of each team?

Another thing. I live on the west coast so I see ALOT of USC games. I also get to see all of the OU games. So I also feel I have a pretty good understanding of what USC can bring and OU can bring. I wont even get into the Auburn debate. That lethargic offense is not even in the same hemosphere as OU and USC.

Someone go check out OU's secondary. When was the last time they allowed a pass for a TD? I think its been 10 quarters now and counting.

You people need to stay up on what changes have been done to OU's secondardy since the 2nd quarter in the A&M game if you want to run them down at least have your facts straight. Go and see whos playing CB now for OU. You might be surprised.

One other thing. Perkins is back.

James even thinking OU doesnt have WR's who can play is utter nonsense. Have you even watched Bradley/Wilson/Clayton? Forget it. I dont even want to debate this because its rediculous to even think it. They only have about the most talented WR corps in the nation. They are just as good as what USC will trot out. Better than Auburn could deliver.

Lets see Heisman for White and contenders in Peterson and Bush and Lienhart. I dont know. I might trust the current Heisman 24 yr old QB to deliver me a NC. Thats just me. The rest of you can sit here and smack back n forth.

One last thing. Show me where it says the PAC 10 is a powerhouse? I certainly would like to see that. I thought I read someone say that the PAC 10 gets a bad wrap. I freakin WONDER why? The Big 12 is not a heavyweight this year but they certainly are better than 90% of the PAC10.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas said:
This thing is over. It will be USC and OU in the NC game. Its rediculous to even keep considering Auburn a possibility. They are only get in if OU or USC slip one game. You folks probably dont know this but OU is closer to USC than Auburn is to OU in the drawn out BCS forumla. Do any of you debaters go and even look at the BCS scores of each team?

Another thing. I live on the west coast so I see ALOT of USC games. I also get to see all of the OU games. So I also feel I have a pretty good understanding of what USC can bring and OU can bring. I wont even get into the Auburn debate. That lethargic offense is not even in the same hemosphere as OU and USC.

Someone go check out OU's secondary. When was the last time they allowed a pass for a TD? I think its been 10 quarters now and counting.

You people need to stay up on what changes have been done to OU's secondardy since the 2nd quarter in the A&M game if you want to run them down at least have your facts straight. Go and see whos playing CB now for OU. You might be surprised.

One other thing. Perkins is back.

James even thinking OU doesnt have WR's who can play is utter nonsense. Have you even watched Bradley/Wilson/Clayton? Forget it. I dont even want to debate this because its rediculous to even think it. They only have about the most talented WR corps in the nation. They are just as good as what USC will trot out. Better than Auburn could deliver.

Lets see Heisman for White and contenders in Peterson and Bush and Lienhart. I dont know. I might trust the current Heisman 24 yr old QB to deliver me a NC. Thats just me. The rest of you can sit here and smack back n forth.

One last thing. Show me where it says the PAC 10 is a powerhouse? I certainly would like to see that. I thought I read someone say that the PAC 10 gets a bad wrap. I freakin WONDER why? The Big 12 is not a heavyweight this year but they certainly are better than 90% of the PAC10.

Well...LSU beat Oklahoma last year....I think Auburn could do the same...and I think USC will beat them worse.

But hey...many did not think LSU could beat Oklahoma last year...and once again Oklahoma was MUCH better last year.

I still say Auburn is the better team, better defense and with that "lethargic" offense of running the ball just plays right into the style of football they play...keep the offense of the other team off the field with it's great D and running game.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Well...LSU beat Oklahoma last year....I think Auburn could do the same...and I think USC will beat them worse.

But hey...many did not think LSU could beat Oklahoma last year...and once again Oklahoma was MUCH better last year.

I still say Auburn is the better team, better defense and with that "lethargic" offense of running the ball just plays right into the style of football they play...keep the offense of the other team off the field with it's great D and running game.

I honestly dont think Auburn's D is that special. It is just as good as OU's or USC's. I dont see where either teams D outshines the other. Now we get into ST's and Offense. Auburn offense is a running attack and some passing. USC and OU is either or. Shut one down and they will KILL you with the other. Auburn cant say that. The Auburn QB is not going to carry that team to a NC. It just wont happen.

That is NOT what happened in Tuscalusa last weekend. Auburn had a hard time and struggled bigtime with that vaunted Tide defense. If Alabamba had its starting QB and TE and RB then I actually see Auburn losing terribly. That is how in state rivalries pan out. The emotion in these games are off the chart. You dont even have that kind of emotion in NC games. Its braggin rights.

Its why OSU plays OU so well year and year out lately. Les has been getting some very good under the radar talent in Stillwater. But its funny. You see Oklahoma struggle with OSU/A&M and they are beat all up over it by the writers and press yet when the same thing happens to USC and Auburn they are a magnificent team who overcame adversity to win it.

Im telling you right now. My opinion. USC will lose the title game against either OU or Auburn.

I do get tired of the double standard for those teams.

Gatorgirl

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
I was wondering which OU fan would take the bait. OU doesn't deserve it and your coach is a whiner. I had a ton of respect for Stoops until he cried like a baby about ESPN having a freakin agenda to get Auburn ahead of OU. What a joke that is. OU shouldn't have been in the BCS championship last year and I hope they're not this year.

Guess that means Stoops hates the SEC, therefore will not be coming to coach an SEC school? LMAO! :D

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Gatorgirl said:
Guess that means Stoops hates the SEC, therefore will not be coming to coach an SEC school? LMAO! :D

I doubt if he HATES the SEC, but I can't imagine why he would leave OU for any SEC program.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I live in NM so I see a lot of PAC10 and Big12 football. Personally, I think the Big12 South is better then the PAC10. I don't think that other then Cal and SC, the conference is very strong.

I think the SEC is probably the best conference this year.

I think Auburn is the best team this year.

I think that OU is on the outside looking in.

I also think that there is another unbeaten team out there. Don't sleep on Utah. Alex Smith might be the best QB I've seen all year.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
You know I think the Pac 10 always gets a bad rep because they are known as Finesse passing teams with weak defenses for the most part over the years.

But USC has a good running game they can use, even though they are a passing team, and they have a physical defense like last year.

You make good points about the Big 12....nebraska's fall the last few years has really hurt that conf IMO.

Kansas State...well let's be real, the normally schedule weak non Conf teams and get an inflated record and then fall flat when they face a good team.

Hell Last year Marshall (MAC TEAM) went into Kansas State and beat them in their house...people screamed it was because KS starting QB was out...but then again we were also playing a backup.

Missouri came out this year and did not live up to expectations...I even expected a little more from them.

But Nebraska has really weakened that conf IMO.

I will say one last thing.

This years OU team is but a shadow of the OU teams of the last few years IMO....they are no where as good as they have been...they have showed it this year even though they are still undefeated.

I honestly think Auburn could beat Oklahoma, not easily, but still beat them...just no question in my mind.

I think it is a toss up with Auburn vs USC.

Great post! Some analysts have tried to criticize USC because of their schedule but you have to make an exception with USC because if you observe them, they are pretty dominant. I think USC suffers when they play in weather conditions that don't favor their passing game but that won't be an issue in the Orange Bowl.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I live in NM so I see a lot of PAC10 and Big12 football. Personally, I think the Big12 South is better then the PAC10. I don't think that other then Cal and SC, the conference is very strong.

I think the SEC is probably the best conference this year.

I think Auburn is the best team this year.

I think that OU is on the outside looking in.

I also think that there is another unbeaten team out there. Don't sleep on Utah. Alex Smith might be the best QB I've seen all year.

I think the Big 12 South is overrated. Oklahoma and Texas are the only real teams in those conferences but their nonconference schedules are weak. Their wins come against beating their own weak division teams. I think Cal could beat Oklahoma let alone Texas. Texas AM lost to Baylor and Baylor is awful. Texas Tech seems like a weaker version of Arizona State. At least, Arizona State put those big numbers against real teams like Iowa. Tech can never put up those points when they play a real team. Oklahoma State is a pretty good team. Overall, I think it's too close to call to say which is better between the Pac 10 and the Big 12 South.

Gatorgirl

Reaction score
Danny White said:
I doubt if he HATES the SEC, but I can't imagine why he would leave OU for any SEC program.

I was joking! :) He probably won't, but you never know what anyone's thinking anymore...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Is the Big 12 any better than the Pac 10 this year? OU beat Texas which is coached by Mac Brown so that shouldn't count. They beat A&M which lost to Baylor so that shouldn't count. They beat Ok State which gave up 49 unaswered points to a Texas team that has a qb and is coached by Mac Brown so that shouldn't count. I'm a Big12 and Longhorn guy but the Big 12 sucks this year.

Thought I'd bump this topic after watching a supposd Pac 10 top team get spanked by a middle tier Big XII team today. ;)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Thought I'd bump this topic after watching a supposd Pac 10 top team get spanked by a middle tier Big XII team today. ;)

Yeah, I watched that game also. Cal pretty much got handled by TT. Wasn't even a very close game IMO. That surprised me. It will be interesting to see how OU does against SC.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Yeah, I watched that game also. Cal pretty much got handled by TT. Wasn't even a very close game IMO. That surprised me. It will be interesting to see how OU does against SC.

It surprised me, too. I was wondering if Cal would have a hard time getting prepared or excited to play in the Holiday Bowl. It is one of my favorite bowl games to watch because it generally high scoring, but it is a second tier bowl. Cal wanted the big game and may not have been focused, but I wasn't expecting Tech to move the ball with ease like they did.