Who deserves to be the next (retired) Ring of Honor inductee?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think Larry Allen would win the vote if we chose current and retired players, so I'm going with retired players on this one. I was curious what the feeling of Cowboys fans is now that we've had the first of the 90's dynasty players inducted. Who do you think should get a spot in the Ring of Honor next? I've allowed more than one vote, just in case Jerry decides to induct more than one person at a time in his next ROH induction. ;)

CORNELL GREEN
67Green.jpg

CHARLES HALEY
HaleyDal_176x250.jpg

DARRYL JOHNSTON
MooseDal_182x250.jpg

ED 'TOO TALL' JONES
Jones,Edtootall2.jpg

HARVEY MARTIN
12-white_martin.jpg

DREW PEARSON
hailmarydall.jpg

EVERSON WALLS
WallsDal_180x250.jpg

CHARLIE WATERS
Waters,Charlie1.jpg

DARREN WOODSON
0212_nflviolence2.JPG

OTHER
novacek,jay7.jpg
Hill_Tony.JPG
89.jpg

john_niland.sm.gif
stepnoskidal.jpg
NewtonDal.jpg

DuPree_BillyJoe.JPG
mm-540.gif

parchy

Reaction score
Not only did Charles Haley not retire as a Cowboy, but he didn't even play the majority of his years here... an arch rival 49er should get nowhere near the ROH

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
parchy said:
Not only did Charles Haley not retire as a Cowboy, but he didn't even play the majority of his years here... an arch rival 49er should get nowhere near the ROH

Haley was one of the best defensive linemen in Cowboys history and they have been trying to replace him for over a decade until they just gave up and went with the 3-4. (But yeah, I would vote for a lot more Cowboys before him.)

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Drew should definitely be next, followed by Waters and Too Tall/Martin. I really expect those four in the ROH before Woody or Novachek.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Haley was one of the best defensive linemen in Cowboys history and they have been trying to replace him for over a decade until they just gave up and went with the 3-4. (But yeah, I would vote for a lot more Cowboys before him.)

The problem is... if I remember correctly, Haley said if he made the HOF he would go in as a 49'er... and Deion said he would go in as a Falcon...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
trickblue said:
The problem is... if I remember correctly, Haley said if he made the HOF he would go in as a 49'er... and Deion said he would go in as a Falcon...

Did Haley say that? After how much he hated them for the games they played with him? Well hell, I feel ashamed then. :eek:: Oh well, disregard the San Fagcisco 49ers. You ******* Haley. :mad:

parchy

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:

I don't care if he's Johnny ****ing Appleseed... the Ring of Honor is reserved for guys who not only contributed to the Cowboys, but who WERE Cowboys... take a look at the guys who are on there now... not one of them played any more than two years away from the Cowboys... Haley was a 49er for SEVEN years

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
parchy said:
I don't care if he's Johnny ****ing Appleseed... the Ring of Honor is reserved for guys who not only contributed to the Cowboys, but who WERE Cowboys... take a look at the guys who are on there now... not one of them played any more than two years away from the Cowboys... Haley was a 49er for SEVEN years

Reggie White was a Packer and an Eagle legend. The great ones don't need one team, but I understand where you're coming from, and after reading Trick's comments that he would rather go in as a 49er, it's hard for me to give him any props. But still, let's not forget what a monster he was coming off the edges. If we had ever found another Haley, we would never be trying the 3-4 this year and taking our chances with linebackers pressuring the QB.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Did Haley say that? After how much he hated them for the games they played with him? Well hell, I feel ashamed then. :eek:: Oh well, disregard the San Fagcisco 49ers. You ******* Haley. :mad:

He did... but if you remember, the Cowboys allowed him out of his contract to finish his career playing as a player/coach for the niners...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
trickblue said:
He did... but if you remember, the Cowboys allowed him out of his contract to finish his career playing as a player/coach for the niners...

Yeah, but I didn't take that serious at all. I figured there weren't many teams in the running for him. Actually, if I remember correctly, he didn't pass his physical for the Cowboys, or the Dallas medical team didn't think he should try playing again. Could be wrong, but I remember him offering his services to the Cowboys first and when they didn't think he was medically capable of playing, he went back to the Niners.

parchy

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Reggie White was a Packer and an Eagle legend. The great ones don't need one team, but I understand where you're coming from, and after reading Trick's comments that he would rather go in as a 49er, it's hard for me to give him any props. But still, let's not forget what a monster he was coming off the edges. If we had ever found another Haley, we would never be trying the 3-4 this year and taking our chances with linebackers pressuring the QB.

Oh I know the guy was an animal... but the Cowboys aren't the Eagles or the Packers (thank god!)... the Ring of Honor is it's own entity, different from anything any other NFL team has, which rewards guys who were Cowboys through and through and THEN were animals... let the measure of Haley's greatness be whether or not he is elected to the HOF, because the ROH is something different entirely.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
parchy said:
Oh I know the guy was an animal... but the Cowboys aren't the Eagles or the Packers (thank god!)... the Ring of Honor is it's own entity, different from anything any other NFL team has, which rewards guys who were Cowboys through and through and THEN were animals... let the measure of Haley's greatness be whether or not he is elected to the HOF, because the ROH is something different entirely.

Well, I won't argue with ya on that, because I think it is nice to have players who weren't hired assassins like PrimeTime. I just felt Haley had put enough blood and sweat into the organization during its three Super Bowls to at least be considered.

jman

Reaction score
parchy said:

Well, not entirely...( i loved that line in Independance Day...) The Commanders have one, the Chiefs have one, the Saints have their own HOF, and the Yankees have something simular also to honor past great players...So, no, it may have been the first, and the best, but it's not the only "Ring of Honor" type of thing out there.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pearson by a longshot IMO.

Haley was good...even as the story goes, Uncle Al called Jerry when jerry got Haley and said Congrats you just won yourself a superbowl.

But with all of that, as great of a player that haley was, the idea that we have been looking for his replacement since he left.

He was never really a true cowboy IMO...he was a hired gun ala Deion who came here from another team and left here for another team.

wileedog

Reaction score
As a side note, I doubt Moose ever makes it in.

But Emmit should put Moose's name on the side of his house with a big star....

ravidubey

Reaction score
Too Tall and Drew Pearson. Ed Jones was a difference-maker and the difference was clear when he left the team to box for a season (an undefeated 6-0). Jones' outstretched arms on every throw to the offensive right side really helped the secondary pad their stats. Drew Pearson was a quintessential Cowboy; I can't imagine why he's not in already.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
Drew Pearson!He should be one of the next Cowboys that should go in first.Can you say Hail Mary!

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
parchy said:

:hammer:

Exactly.

I have nothing against Haley at all. He was a great player for us, and it could be agrued that he was the one that got us over the hump to win those Super Bowls. He stands a fair chance at getting in the HoF.

At the same time, we only played for us for a few years, bookended by stints with the 49ers.

Same goes for Deion.

I do understadn to a degree about the "exclusivity" of the Ring of Honor and those reasons keep Haley out. His achievements as a football player should be enough to get in in the HoF, but the Ring of Honor is a different set of rules.

I think long and hard about Moose, Jay and Woody, but thats about it for the retired 90's guys.

I also have to think that Pearson should get in.