Who do we root for tomorrow?

Nav22

Reaction score
Here's what I'm thinking...

Green Bay (5-6) over Carolina (8-3)

New Orleans (6-5) over Tampa Bay (8-3)

San Diego over Atlanta (8-4)

New York Giants (10-1) over Washington (7-4)... unless if you're hanging onto the division title dream.

Speaking of which, is there anyway we could hold tiebreaker over the Giants if we both finished with the same record?

Any disagreements/additions?

Dave the Sicilian

Reaction score
GB
NO
SD
NYG

I dont' think possible to tie the record of NY so...root for them against Commanders

:starspin

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Nav22;2452335 said:

New York Giants (10-1) over Washington (7-4)... unless if you're hanging onto the division title dream.

Speaking of which, is there anyway we could hold tiebreaker over the Giants if we both finished with the same record?

If the Giants lose the next 3 games (all division games) and we win all the rest of our division games, we will beat them. Plus, we have to run the table to end 12-4, unless the Giants lose 4 of their next 5, which is highly unlikely.

They would end 3-3 in the division with us 4-2.

So yes, very very unlikely, root for the Giants vs. the Commanders.

tiny tim

Reaction score
As for Carolina it might be better if they win the NFC South, since Dallas would win the tiebreaker over Tampa. But if Tampa wins the NFC South we would need Carolina to get beat to help us in the wildcard race. Right now Carolina's NFC record is 5-3 and Dallas has an NFC record of 6-4. If Dallas can go 8-4 in the NFC that would really help.

Boysboy

Reaction score
ajk23az;2452338 said:
If the Giants lose the next 3 games (all division games) and we win all the rest of our division games, we will beat them. Plus, we have to run the table to end 12-4, unless the Giants lose 4 of their next 5, which is highly unlikely.

They would end 3-3 in the division with us 4-2.

So yes, very very unlikely, root for the Giants vs. the Commanders.

I agree-even with the current Plax distractions now, it's still not nearly enough for them to blow the division.

To me, the best scenerio for us is to win our next 3, which would likely make our finale at Philly like a bye week.

Boysboy

Reaction score
tiny tim;2452351 said:
As for Carolina it might be better if they win the NFC South, since Dallas would win the tiebreaker over Tampa. But if Tampa wins the NFC South we would need Carolina to get beat to help us in the wildcard race. Right now Carolina's NFC record is 5-3 and Dallas has an NFC record of 6-4. If Dallas can go 8-4 in the NFC that would really help.

That and the Eagles own their #1 pick next year are reasons to root for them!

Cowboysfan22

Reaction score
Nav22;2452335 said:

I think these are bang on.

Dallas22

Reaction score
I agree with the picks by the thread-starter... there are a couple of things that could help us even if they all don't go our way. The way I look at this is the more teams that have 6-7 losses means they probably won't even have a chance for the playoffs. It looks like at the very worst, 10-6 "might" get you in the playoffs, so all of these team with 6 losses are going to have a VERY tough time geting in. If we win the 2 NFC games (Giants & Phily) and lose the other 2, we MIGHT be able to sneek in with a 10-6 record. I'd hope that we go 11-5 and that should get us in the playoffs.

These are the MUST win games to help us out on Sunday:
NYG over Was - would drop the Skins to 5 losses (div & conf loss!)
SD over ATL - would drop ATL to 5 losses
GB over CAR - drops CAR to 4 losses tied with us & pulls GB into the Wild-card talk (and obviously into the Division run also) but still have 6 losses AND we win the tiebreaker on the them

This one can go either way (hurts/helps either way):
IF NO over TB - Helps us against TB dropping them to 4 losses (we have tiebreaker on them) but pulls NO deeper into the Wild-Card race (5 losses)
IF TB over NO - would put TB 1 game in front of us but TB would be the current Division leader & drops NO to 6 losses

Don't forget about this game:
CHI @ MIN - the loser drops to 6 losses & has a tough time for the Wild-Card chance... obviously this will happen unless there is a tie... Conf records as of right now --> CHI: 5-4, MIN: 4-3, so what team losing would help us out more?

BTW, if Phily losses 1 more game they are probably out of the Playoff talk because they'd have 6 losses AND 1 tie which would at best would put them at 9-6-1 and in my opinion, no shot to get in.

Do we want as many teams OUT of the Wild-Card Playoffs talk or drop more teams in the hunt so that we have a little head start going into December? Even if the NO-TB doesn't go the way we want it, there are still some positives either way. In the end, WE must win all or as many games as possible to secure a ticket into the "2nd Season"... GO COWBOYS!!!

Boysboy

Reaction score
Dallas22;2452397 said:
Don't forget about this game:
CHI @ MIN - the loser drops to 6 losses & has a tough time for the Wild-Card chance... obviously this will happen unless there is a tie... Conf records as of right now --> CHI: 5-4, MIN: 4-3, so what team losing would help us out more?

Assuming we get in as a WC, I'd rather face Arizona than either of those 2.

The winter weather in Chicago is horrible-not only freezing, but the wind is very unpredictable. Our bread and butter passing game would be shot down tremendously.

I would also hate to face Minny in a VERY loud Metrodome while going against AP to boot.

Our loss to AZ last month was an anomaly-they're not a very team, and only *marginally* better than their 3 woeful divisional opponents.

BTW, if Phily losses 1 more game they are probably out of the Playoff talk because they'd have 6 losses AND 1 tie which would at best would put them at 9-6-1 and in my opinion, no shot to get in.

You never know-with the distractions the Giants have, they have Cleveland after that, Washington may have likely faded, and we suck in Dec-this team almost always miraculously pulls a rabbit out of its hat when the chips are dead in the water. OTOH-this isn't exactly that '06 team or any of Reid's other previous teams. They still have in-house issues(what happend in Baltimore won't exactly go away after whooping AZ), they're down to only 7 healthy OL, Lito has been demoted-so all this talk about their 3-headed monster at CB is dead, etc. You're right-they'll effectively play spoilers, but that's it.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
I'm going for the Giants even though I started this thread:
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137970

Nutshell version: If the Commanders win, I won't be too upset as we'll only be one more Giant loss (home against Eagles, 1:00 EST next Sunday) from having a shot at the division at stake in the Pittsburgh game (4:00 EST next Sunday). Of course, it would be a big bummer if Giants were to lose today and then win next Sunday...either way, the Cowboys will have a lot at stake when they line up against the Steelers.

Dallas22

Reaction score
I'd rather play in Minnesota than in Chicago or in Green Bay. The weather would hold down our offense and hurt us tremendously... at least in the Metrodome, the weather would be nice :) It's loud but I think we can win there. As far as Arizona, I think that they have a good offense and they will still give us some trouble, but this time around I am confident we will beat them IF we get into the playoffs. Remember, we are not close to being IN the Playoffs by no stretch of the imagination, as I am sure most of us on here understand.

So I'd probably want Minnesota to win tonight over Chicago, right? How would these teams fare for the 2 Wild Card spots MIN or CHI, winner or loser? I guess we'd go by conference records (right now ---> CHI: 5-4; MIN: 4-3)? Thanks

Hoofbite

Reaction score
tiny tim;2452351 said:

That is what I was thinking. Dallas has the heads-up over Tampa so Carolina winning kind of helps Dallas.

Then again, they play each other once before the end of the season so a loss by both would be alright with me as it guarantees that one of them would drop in that game.

Dallas22

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;2452415 said:
Nutshell version: If the Commanders win, I won't be too upset as we'll only be one more Giant loss (home against Eagles, 1:00 EST next Sunday) from having a shot at the division at stake in the Pittsburgh game (4:00 EST next Sunday). Of course, it would be a big bummer if Giants were to lose today and then win next Sunday...either way, the Cowboys will have a lot at stake when they line up against the Steelers.

Too many things would have to happen for us to get the Division. Obviously this leaves us only 2 chances for a Wild Card spot and at least 1 road game. Giants & the NFC South winner will probably get the byes, leaving Arizona or the NFC North winner as our opponent IF we make it into the Playoffs. Chicago & GB = Very cold, bad, maybe snowy weather... Arizona & Minnesota = Much better weather, so I guess we hope that one of the latter 2 would be our opponent.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Dallas22;2452423 said:
Too many things would have to happen for us to get the Division. Obviously this leaves us only 2 chances for a Wild Card spot and at least 1 road game. Giants & the NFC South winner will probably get the byes, leaving Arizona or the NFC North winner as our opponent IF we make it into the Playoffs. Chicago & GB = Very cold, bad, maybe snowy weather... Arizona & Minnesota = Much better weather, so I guess we hope that one of the latter 2 would be our opponent.

Like I said earlier-the Giants could get 1/2 of their team suspended, and to boot, Eli could be caught in bed with a 10 year old boy...they'll still likely have the NFCE wrapped up before Christmas.

Plus neither Carolina nor Tampa are in the Giants' league, or even our's and the Skins' leagues.

Dallas22

Reaction score
Boysboy;2452426 said:
Like I said earlier-the Giants could get 1/2 of their team suspended, and to boot, Eli could be caught in bed with a 10 year old boy...they'll still likely have the NFCE wrapped up before Christmas.

Plus neither Carolina nor Tampa are in the Giants' league, or even our's and the Skins' leagues.

I would love to get them somewhere in the Playoffs... I think we can win in East Rutherford against the Giants... I know it!!!

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Dallas22;2452423 said:
Actually, it's not that many things -- it's surprisingly few. I think it's quite unlikely that it'll happen but here's what has to happen in chronological order:

1. Giants lose to Commanders today.
2. Giants lose to Eagles next week.
3. We beat the Steelers next week.

At that point we're tied with the Giants and hold the tiebreaker advantage (3-2 division v. 3-3). So the particularly interesting thing to me is that we only need two things to happen before the Steelers game to make that game, essentially, about the division.

We would then need three things: to beat the Eagles (in order to maintain the tiebreaker over the Giants), not fall behind the Giants, and get and stay ahead of the Skins (although there may be scenarios in which we get the tiebreaker over them).

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Boysboy;2452426 said:

I fully expect the Giants to win against either the Commanders or the Eagles (if not both). But IF, for whatever reason(s) they don't, then this thing is ours for the taking.

CowboysxSwagger

Reaction score
I agree what you posted
but there's no way we can tie with the giants record so
we need them to beat Commanders

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
CowboysxSwagger;2452440 said:
I agree what you posted
but there's no way we can tie with the giants record so
we need them to beat Commanders
Actually, there is a clear way but it's unlikely to happen so I'm going for the Giants today.

If, however, the Giants lose today, we're only one more Giants loss to the Eagles next week away from having a very real shot at the division.

So: Go for Giants today. If Giants lose, go for Eagles next week.