Who has been Dallas’ best rb the last 25 years?

phildadon86

Reaction score
And you could say the refs cost us that game. Cobb's reception clearly hit the ground but surprisingly wasn't overturned, allowing them to continue driving down the field and the Dez catch.

If fact, refs played a big part in the end of the 2016 playoff game with GB where they allowed 2-linemen to molest and tackle David Irving on the most crucial play of the game.

But anyway, the 2014 Dallas offense put itself on Murray's back. 1845 friggin yards on the ground. DeMarco was a freight train that year.
Lol. Demarco Murray like Zeke were products of great offensive line play. Zeke had more vision and speed coming into the nfl. I don’t know what happened there. Murray had a great season yes but was out of the league a few years later. Tyron Fredbeard and Martin were huge for that 2014 team. Murray refused to put his finger over the nipple of the ball, and when asked said “I’m not changing how I run” and had one of the most costly fumbles of the season.

D4KADON

Reaction score
Emmitt was a Cowboy 1990-2002 and then a Cardinal 2003-2004, but you're right. Emmitt's time in Dallas does fall within that last 25 years window. No, Cowboys RB was greater than Emmitt Smith. The OP should have counted better if he didn't want Emmitt Smith as the answer.

I didn’t say you couldn’t include smith. Lol

I don’t believe Smith’s 2002/2003 season eclipse the top guys in the list I gave but by all means, you can roll with smith

plasticman

Reaction score
That was DeMarco Murray when he was on the field.

In 2011, his rookie year, he didn't have the great offensive line that most of the other RB's had. He hadn't started to raise them yet. He ran behind LT Free and the rookie Tyron Smith playing RT. The interior was undrafted 2nd year center Phil Costa, Montrae Holland and Kosier at guards. .

The first time he was given significant carries was game #6 his rookie season against the .Rams and he ran for 253 yards.

In two of his next three games he ran for at least 130 yards. He averaged over a hundred yards per game in his first seven starts with a 5/5 average yards per carry and then he got hurt. At that point they were 7-5. They ended up 8-8, Jason Garrett's first season as HC. Had he remained healthy it would have changed a lot of trajectories,

In 2012 the Cowboys started an offensive line composed of 5 players that had zero experience playing their specific position. The tackles switched places and the interior was completely replaced. The new guards and center was Nate Livings, Ryan Cook and Mckenzy Bernadeau. Murray got pretty beat up, missed six games and averaged only 4.1 yards a carry. He played hurt for the majority of the season..

In 2013 the offensive line was revamped again. This time Livings was replace by Leary and Cook was replaced by Travis Frederick, a rookie. Murray still missed a couple games but rushed for his first thousand yard season. He got 1121 yards and a 5.2 yards per rush. He picked up an additional350 yards on 53 receptions and made his first Pro Bowl.

In 2014 Bernadeau was replaced by rookie Zack Martin. Murray played every game as he set a new Cowboys rushing record of 1845 yards in addition to 416 receiving yards on 57 receptions. He totaled 2261 yards. In two playoff games he totaled 198 rushing yards.

At this point, the Dallas Cowboys had the "magic sauce"..

The rest of the NFL wasn't prepared for such a massive running game. Offenses had, for the most part, evolved into a more open and elaborate passing attack. Defenses were structured to attack a QB with quicker but smaller DE's, blitzing LB's in nickle and dime packages. The Cowboys emerging offensive line was huge but athletic enough to get into the 2nd level and destroy defenses on the ground.

Jerry had what he needed in his hand and he blew it bad.

Murray was now a free agent as was Dez Bryant. Jerry felt like he needed to make a choice. First he lowballed Murray with a low offer before th eend of his record season. He didn't make another offer to Murray until the amount of interest from other teams were revealed. Jerry made another offer, too little too late. The sad thiojg is, Murray had indicated that he wanted to stay in Dallas and even hinted at as discount. Murray was no fool, he knew that the offensive line that he had been practicing with for years was his best ticket to success but the two offers by Jerry convinced him that he wasn't wanted and he took the Eagles offer..

No doubt my narration will be disputed but I had very strong feeling about keeping Murray and I monitored the events closely. It became clear that Jerry made the conventional decision despite the results of the two previous seasons. he signed Dez to a huge contract and, right on cue, Dez never had another thousand yard season.

Meanwhile it became clear that the Eagles didn't sign Murray to use his skillset as their primary weapon on offense. They decided not to have a primary weapon and Murray shared duties with two other backs. In addition, he did not have the familiarity and cohesion he'd had with the Cowboys line.

It seemed that one of the reasons for signing Murray had more to do with depriving their chief divisional rival Cowboys. It was a decision that backfired on the HC who was fired after that season.

As to the myth of a RB declining after receiving that number of carries. sports journalists compared him to only those RB's that had more carries then Murray. . This is a statistical breach. Murray was not among the group of RB's that had MORE carries than Murray. The proper technique is to imbed Murray's numbers in an interval where his numbers are the midpoint.

In other words, the highest number of carries in NFL history was 14 more than Murray's. Therefore it would be fair to look at all RB's with carries that were WITHIN 14 carries of Murray's total. That is, you include all RB's whose carries were +/- 14 of Murray's. When you do this, you not only get a list of NFL's HOF Whose Who in RB history, you get guys that .did it multiple times.

Jerry tragically concluded that any RB could run behind that line and have an effective running game. To prove it, he seemingly used the worse example possible, "Clepto" Joe ran his mouth better than he ever ran with the ball. Not only did he get far less "meat on the bone", after the 1st quarter he couldn't find the bone. His career lasted less than half a season later. Due to Randle's inept rushing, Romo was forced to pass more in obvious situations and that indirectly led to his injury.

Murray proved he wasn't "burned out' when he again ran for almost 1300 yards the following season for the Titans in 2016 while Jerry seemingly reversed his earlier philosophy by drafting Murray's eventual replacement, the 4th overall pick in the draft. In 2016 Zeke was teh leading rusher. Murray was in 4th place.

Jerry has had a long history of over valuing WR's by trading away 1st round picks for someone else's. Alternatively, he had spend the past 28 seasons disrespecting RB's starting with Emmitt Smith During his1993 contract holdout Jones was quoted as saying.

"Emmitt Smith is a luxury and not a necessity"

That quote pretty much summarizes Jerry Jones's credibility as an NFL GM.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Julius Jones
Marion Barber
Tashard Choice
Felix Jones
DeMarco Murray
Joseph Randle
Darren McFadden
Ezekiel Elliott
Tony Pollard

These are the primary ones I can remember from memory so apologies if I forgot one you like

I’m going with Murray
The barbarian

McKDaddy

Reaction score
while Jerry seemingly reversed his earlier philosophy by drafting Murray's eventual replacement, the 4th overall pick in the draft.

Nice summary @plasticman.

This is the most damning statement you made. They change certain philosophies on whim rather than strategic advantage. And hold firm on philosophies that should be situational dependent (like when to spend in FA to supplement your team).

You can't believe that the trenches are the key and any ole running back will do one minute & then spend the #4 pick on a RB the next. It is a complete contradiction.

You watch teams that truly believe in their core philosophies and their drafts & FA moves stay true to their beliefs. We are all over the board.

75boyz

Reaction score
yet…

1200 APY

12 TDS

torn PCL

Yeah, that's true I guess but a lot of people thought Jaylon Smith was a good linebacker because of his supposed tackles numbers.
Sometimes stats can be deceiving. Regardless of injury, Zeke is no where near the RB of his first 3 years. An extremely watered down version at best and I was a Zeke over Ramsey guy, so there's that.

Mannix

Reaction score
Murray.

His commitment to his conditioning was Herschel Walker-esque and made for a very consistent battering ram game in and game out. He'd wear down the 2nd level of a defense so much that by the 4th qtr they didn't want to tackle him head on anymore. As much as Zeke was touted as having great hands, Murray didn't drop balls at all like Zeke did. He could block like a SOB, too.

Except for the dropped fumble in the most important game he ever played in.....there is that.

kskboys

Reaction score
That was DeMarco Murray when he was on the field.

In 2011, his rookie year, he didn't have the great offensive line that most of the other RB's had. He hadn't started to raise them yet. He ran behind LT Free and the rookie Tyron Smith playing RT. The interior was undrafted 2nd year center Phil Costa, Montrae Holland and Kosier at guards. .

The first time he was given significant carries was game #6 his rookie season against the .Rams and he ran for 253 yards.

In two of his next three games he ran for at least 130 yards. He averaged over a hundred yards per game in his first seven starts with a 5/5 average yards per carry and then he got hurt. At that point they were 7-5. They ended up 8-8, Jason Garrett's first season as HC. Had he remained healthy it would have changed a lot of trajectories,

In 2012 the Cowboys started an offensive line composed of 5 players that had zero experience playing their specific position. The tackles switched places and the interior was completely replaced. The new guards and center was Nate Livings, Ryan Cook and Mckenzy Bernadeau. Murray got pretty beat up, missed six games and averaged only 4.1 yards a carry. He played hurt for the majority of the season..

In 2013 the offensive line was revamped again. This time Livings was replace by Leary and Cook was replaced by Travis Frederick, a rookie. Murray still missed a couple games but rushed for his first thousand yard season. He got 1121 yards and a 5.2 yards per rush. He picked up an additional350 yards on 53 receptions and made his first Pro Bowl.

In 2014 Bernadeau was replaced by rookie Zack Martin. Murray played every game as he set a new Cowboys rushing record of 1845 yards in addition to 416 receiving yards on 57 receptions. He totaled 2261 yards. In two playoff games he totaled 198 rushing yards.

At this point, the Dallas Cowboys had the "magic sauce"..

The rest of the NFL wasn't prepared for such a massive running game. Offenses had, for the most part, evolved into a more open and elaborate passing attack. Defenses were structured to attack a QB with quicker but smaller DE's, blitzing LB's in nickle and dime packages. The Cowboys emerging offensive line was huge but athletic enough to get into the 2nd level and destroy defenses on the ground.

Jerry had what he needed in his hand and he blew it bad.

Murray was now a free agent as was Dez Bryant. Jerry felt like he needed to make a choice. First he lowballed Murray with a low offer before th eend of his record season. He didn't make another offer to Murray until the amount of interest from other teams were revealed. Jerry made another offer, too little too late. The sad thiojg is, Murray had indicated that he wanted to stay in Dallas and even hinted at as discount. Murray was no fool, he knew that the offensive line that he had been practicing with for years was his best ticket to success but the two offers by Jerry convinced him that he wasn't wanted and he took the Eagles offer..

No doubt my narration will be disputed but I had very strong feeling about keeping Murray and I monitored the events closely. It became clear that Jerry made the conventional decision despite the results of the two previous seasons. he signed Dez to a huge contract and, right on cue, Dez never had another thousand yard season.

Meanwhile it became clear that the Eagles didn't sign Murray to use his skillset as their primary weapon on offense. They decided not to have a primary weapon and Murray shared duties with two other backs. In addition, he did not have the familiarity and cohesion he'd had with the Cowboys line.

It seemed that one of the reasons for signing Murray had more to do with depriving their chief divisional rival Cowboys. It was a decision that backfired on the HC who was fired after that season.

As to the myth of a RB declining after receiving that number of carries. sports journalists compared him to only those RB's that had more carries then Murray. . This is a statistical breach. Murray was not among the group of RB's that had MORE carries than Murray. The proper technique is to imbed Murray's numbers in an interval where his numbers are the midpoint.

In other words, the highest number of carries in NFL history was 14 more than Murray's. Therefore it would be fair to look at all RB's with carries that were WITHIN 14 carries of Murray's total. That is, you include all RB's whose carries were +/- 14 of Murray's. When you do this, you not only get a list of NFL's HOF Whose Who in RB history, you get guys that .did it multiple times.

Jerry tragically concluded that any RB could run behind that line and have an effective running game. To prove it, he seemingly used the worse example possible, "Clepto" Joe ran his mouth better than he ever ran with the ball. Not only did he get far less "meat on the bone", after the 1st quarter he couldn't find the bone. His career lasted less than half a season later. Due to Randle's inept rushing, Romo was forced to pass more in obvious situations and that indirectly led to his injury.

Murray proved he wasn't "burned out' when he again ran for almost 1300 yards the following season for the Titans in 2016 while Jerry seemingly reversed his earlier philosophy by drafting Murray's eventual replacement, the 4th overall pick in the draft. In 2016 Zeke was teh leading rusher. Murray was in 4th place.

Jerry has had a long history of over valuing WR's by trading away 1st round picks for someone else's. Alternatively, he had spend the past 28 seasons disrespecting RB's starting with Emmitt Smith During his1993 contract holdout Jones was quoted as saying.

"Emmitt Smith is a luxury and not a necessity"

That quote pretty much summarizes Jerry Jones's credibility as an NFL GM.
Eagles misused Murray badly. Looking at his build, he appears to be an outside runner. However, he is not. He is an inside runner. Eagles ran him outside and he was terrible at it.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Even when people are down on Zeke, he's usually playing well. He gets a pass from me for last year, because that line was atrocious at the end of the year, especially playoffs, and he was playing through an injury.

I think they give him the ball too much. But I figure this will be the year Pollard actually does get more carries.

Hard to have a conversation about Randle. He played for like 6 games. I never got to analyze how good he would have been as a run blocker. But for his short period of games, he had some really good runs.
Are you saying that Pollard will get more carries than he had last year, or more carries than Zeke?
I doubt the latter.

kskboys

Reaction score
I mean it is a pristine example of how talented player can look like crap simply due to other people's decisions.
The equivalent would be to run Emmit Smith outside prolifically. His success would've been nominal.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
Except for the dropped fumble in the most important game he ever played in.....there is that.
What I meant was dropped *passes*. Zeke was supposed to have WR hands and he would continually drop routine passes (except for that dime that Dak laid in there in the Detroit game).

Lol. Demarco Murray like Zeke were products of great offensive line play. Zeke had more vision and speed coming into the nfl. I don’t know what happened there. Murray had a great season yes but was out of the league a few years later. Tyron Fredbeard and Martin were huge for that 2014 team. Murray refused to put his finger over the nipple of the ball, and when asked said “I’m not changing how I run” and had one of the most costly fumbles of the season.

And Zeke's best years were when the O-line was still decent and he wasn't a fat slug.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Depends on how stupid we get. Running Pollard prolifically will most likely lead to injury.
This roster needs an upgrade at RB3, Zeke and Pollard are already locked in of course, but with current rostered RB3 status ..
Dowdle
Hardy
Davis
Shampklin
There is room for some real comp in camp, but dont see them bringing anyone in to compete, and now playing 17 RSGs is being rather short sighted with only 2 worthy at the position IMO.
I could be wrong about our depth at the position, maybe Dowdle and Hardy both had an incredible offseason.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

I don’t believe Smith’s 2002/2003 season eclipse the top guys in the list I gave but by all means, you can roll with smith
I didn't say you said we couldn't include Emmitt Smith. But by all indications in your original post, you are not considering Smith. The disrespect for #22 is quite obvious by you. 25 years ago it was 1997 so I can't figure out why your math is so bad.

Motorola

Reaction score

But Smith's 1998 & 1999 seasons fall within the 25-year span -
1998: 319 carries, 1332 yds, 4.2 YD/rush, 13 TDs, 90 runs for 1st down, 27 rec for 175 yds - 2 TDs
1999: 329 carries, 1397 yds, 4.2 YD/rush, 11 TDs, 86 runs for 1st down, 27 rec for 117 yds, 2 TDs
Smith's age - - 29 & 30.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Elliott only needs about 4 more solid years to reach 12,000 yards which should put him in HOF. Everyone who reaches that plateau are in.