Who is advising Andre Smith?

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Who is advising Andre Smith?

Alabama OT Smith skips combine workout Posted: Combine | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Andre Smith
Offensive tackle prospect Andre Smith said earlier this week he wasn’t sure whether he would work out for scouts at this week’s combine. Saturday, his decision became obvious, but in confusing fashion.
Not only did Smith skip Saturday’s workouts for offensive linemen, according to an announcement inside Lucas Oil Stadium for the benefit of scouts in attendance, there even was some question as to his actual whereabouts and conflicting stories about why he was missing on Saturday morning.
NFL.com and NFL Network are covering the workouts live from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday through Tuesday. Stay tuned for updates.

At the weightlifting portion of the combine if you decide not to do it you have to get up and say why in front of everyone and Andre Smith got up and said "I haven't been working out so I don't think I am ready". Then he no shows at the combine today. ***? This kid needs an agent.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
He also needs a little self-motivation. If you don't prepare yourself for the best opportunity you have in life to audition for the NFL, you have to be pretty lazy as well as stupid.

Randy White

Reaction score
who, but you know what ? He better be in the best shape ever during his pro day or else he might just slip out of the first round altogether.

Right now, he's not a top 20 pick, just based on his attitude.

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
If I were a GM, this wouldn't worry me nearly as much as his stubby arms.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alabama's Andre Smith plummeting
By Jason Cole

INDIANAPOLIS - Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith continued to tumble in the eyes of NFL coaches and executives when he couldn't be located Saturday morning to participate in the workouts for linemen.

That follows the bad reviews Smith got from coaches from Alabama and the perception that he did a poor job of interviewing with the media and teams. Smith turned off several coaches when he told them he wasn't participating in the workout because he started training late.

"The kid is killing himself," a source close to Smith said. "He basically told the NFL people he's lazy. This is incredible. ... It doesn't matter if you're ready or not. You at least show up at the workouts and watch."

Some draft analysts had projected Smith, a junior, as a possible No. 1 overall pick in April. Concerns about his character started to surface in a serious way when Alabama head coach Nick Saban kicked him off the team before the Sugar Bowl.

Smith was rumored to be involved with the representative of an agent before the game, a violation of NCAA and NFL Players Association rules. When Alabama turned the issue over to a lawyer who is on retainer with the school to investigate possible violations, Smith initially turned over his bank records but then refused to turn over his phone records, according to two sources.

Saban deemed that a violation of team rules and dismissed Smith, who then turned pro after the bowl game. NFL coaches have been in contact with Alabama officials since then and have not heard good reports on Smith's character, a source said.

Despite so much time off, Smith has gotten out of shape in the view of NFL types.

As one scout put it Friday: "Just another guy who doesn't get it."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/around_the_nfl/post/Alabama-s-Andre-Smith-plummeting?urn=nfl,143110

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
At one time, this kid was projected to be the #1 overall pick by several draft services.

Andre Smith >>> :shoot5:

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Wow. I don't get it at all. He's losing money.

When you combine this with the fact that he couldn't until after the Sugar Bowl to get an agent. He let his team down. His QB was destroyed.

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
Please, another overreaction to a kid who knows going to the combine won't help his overall stock. Everyone knows what the guy can do. When it comes down to it performance will outweight him not working out at the combine. Vince Young didn't work out and he really lost millions, right.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
miamicowboy21;2647728 said:
Please, another overreaction to a kid who knows going to the combine won't help his overall stock. Everyone knows what the guy can do. When it comes down to it performance will outweight him not working out at the combine. Vince Young didn't work out and he really lost millions, right.

Vince Young didn't have his college coaches questioning his character either, did he? Just slipping from #1, 2, or 3 pick to out of the top 5 will cost him millions. Nobody is saying he won't get drafted or that he will not still make a lot of money. But he will definitely lose millions if he slides even a few draft spots.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
He can kiss going #2 overall goodbye. Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe are loving it as he's making them millions more.

Don't be surprised if he slips out of the top ten. No GM wants to be the one who drafts a guy, pays him millions of dollars when he can't even show common sense over the course of a few days. The guy hasn't even been working out - what's that all about?

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
LeonDixson;2647751 said:
Vince Young didn't have his college coaches questioning his character either, did he? Just slipping from #1, 2, or 3 pick to out of the top 5 will cost him millions. Nobody is saying he won't get drafted or that he will not still make a lot of money. But he will definitely lose millions if he slides even a few draft spots.

What college coaches are questioning smith's character? If it's saban i'll fall out laughing. This from the same guy who said he wouldn't coach alabama while he was coaching the dolphins. I sure didn't hear anything about smith's character when the team was 11-0. It's early in the draft process and GM's get frustrated when the top guys don't perform. I'll believe it when i see it if he drops. LT is a premium position and short of killing someone he'll be taken in the top #5.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
41gy#;2647723 said:
Wow. I don't get it at all. He's losing money.

When you combine this with the fact that he couldn't until after the Sugar Bowl to get an agent. He let his team down. His QB was destroyed.

From what I hear, he doesn't have an agent. Also, I think a member of his family had contact with an agent, which resulted in his suspension from Alabama prior to the Sugar Bowl.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;2647676 said:

I hear he has incredibly long arms for a 6'4 332 lb right tackle. I think he has a 38 inch wing span.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;2647676 said:
Mel Kiper said his arms were among the longest of any OL in the draft.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The kid isn't real bright with this decision making. I saw someone said he needed an agent and that's one of the saddest parts is that he actually has an agent and apparently his agent sucks.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ANDRE SMITH: “I DIDN’T MEAN TO RUFFLE ANY FEATHERS”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 21, 2009, 7:51 p.m.

Hours after Andre Smith skipped out on the NFL scouting combine without informing officials of his plans Saturday morning, the Alabama offensive tackle has apologized and offered an explanation of his actions in what amounts to an obvious attempt at damage control.

Smith, who acknowledged that he didn’t work out for NFL teams because he wasn’t in optimum condition, told Adam Schefter of NFL Network that he was wrong not to inform combine organizers that he had flown back to Atlanta earlier than previously scheduled. Smith has drawn criticism for how he handled the situation.

Per Smith, he changed his original 4 p.m. flight to 6 a.m. to work out with his personal trainer in advance of a March 11 Pro Day on the Alabama campus.

“If I had the chance to do it all over, I wouldn’t have handled it the way I did,” said Smith, who was suspended for Alabama’s bowl game for violating team rules. “I should have told my group leader that I was leaving, and I didn’t. I didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers or step on any toes. I didn’t mean to grandstand anyone at the combine.

“That was not my intention at all, and I apologize for my mistake. I got done in Indianapolis what I thought I should have, but I realize there was more to it now. It was important for me to get back to my trainer and that’s what I did. All I was thinking about was what it would take to get to the next level.”

Added Alvin Keels, Smith’s agent: “It was an obvious miscommunication. Even I can shoulder some of the blame for the mishap. But Andre is focused on getting ready for his Pro Day and showing teams what a good pro he will be.”

Two points come to mind here:

1. No matter how many excuses Smith offers, the scouting combine was officially a disaster for him and he needs to turn in a great workout next month to bolster his draft stock.

2. With as much ability as he displayed for the Crimson Tide, Smith will still probably be picked very high in the first round. Even if the combine and bowl game episodes raise scrutiny, he still has the potential to become a cornerstone tackle in the NFL.

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2647896 said:
Mel Kiper said his arms were among the longest of any OL in the draft.
tyke1doe;2647892 said:
I hear he has incredibly long arms for a 6'4 332 lb right tackle. I think he has a 38 inch wing span.
I must be getting my tackles confused then. Anyone know if any of the top 4 lineman have little arms? If he doesn't have that problem, I wouldn't mind seeing the Commanders get him.

Edit: nevermind. It was Andre Smith I was thinking of, but apparently this site isn't very accurate.
http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/1/separating_the_elite_ot_prospects_of_the_2009_nfl_draft/

burmafrd

Reaction score
Charactor in today's NFL counts a lot. Even more is your work ethic and being self motivated. That is what is looked for in a first rd pick. Smith is failing in all areas and looks stupid too.