Who is our backup QB?

Hardline

Reaction score
If Dak goes down I don't want to win another game.
I hope whoever the backup QB is sucks.

Unless we are serious Super Bowl contenders, Then I hope we have the next Nick Foles.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
You should look to finish in the playoffs or in the top 6 or so draft picks. Quality backup quarterbacks usually get you to the middle.

Quite true, if the Dakster goes down for any length of time, then it really doesn't matter which one of these QBs mentioned will ride this pony. We will be headed downward on the elevator. Might as well draft in the top 5 and try our luck again next year Why waste the benefits of a bad season.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Flying under the radar is this question. Last year it was important to sign Dakton.

Last year was a flukey year, and part of that fluke was getting Dalton for 3mil. Of course we'd sign him for that. We had Cooper Rush set to make 2.1mil as our backup.

It wasn't "important" to sign Dalton, he just fell in our lap for way cheap. 7mil less than he's making this year.

The backup is an interesting topic, though.

I note The Coop and Gilbert are both signed for 920k this year. And DaNooch will surely be back. I expect we draft someone and let them all fight it out for backup. We've invested nothing here, so we can easily bring in anyone who comes available, or in free agency or the draft.

Feels like a good year to pick up a QB.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Flying under the radar is this question. Last year it was important to sign Dakton. Now a backup has seemingly dropped several notches on the need list. What is everybody thinking on this topic. Let's discuss..no?

Prescott.

More pressing question is: who is the starter ?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Prescott.

More pressing question is: who is the starter ?

Despite the moron comment above (you chose to post it, genius), most back up QBs aren't taking you anywhere so you're better off losing in the NFL, since it rewards losing.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Garrett Gilbert was surprisingly good. I'd just keep him.

I kinda liked Gilbert too. Seemed to have a little juice in him. Though I don't like developing bottom roster guy on a 1 year contract for the rest of the league.

If some guy they like falls to us in mid rounds, take him. Keep em coming.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Ignoring the moron comment above (Sorry, dude, but you chose to post it), most back up QBs aren't taking you anywhere so you're better off losing in the NFL, since it rewards losing.

Your are right. Prescott wont take us anywhere.

BTW no offense taken.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I kinda liked Gilbert too. Seemed to have a little juice in him. Though I don't like developing bottom roster guy on a 1 year contract for the rest of the league.

Gilbert has bounced around pro football since 2014. He played a half-decent game in 2020 - his only career start - and we're worrying about developing him?

He's a bum. He isn't going to take anyone anywhere. Rest easy.

basel90

Reaction score
Perhaps a one game sample = aberration.
His previous 6 years in the NFL, Gilbert has appeared in 6 games - attempting 6 passes, completing 2. Probably 95% of his in-season league time has been on practice squads.This QB turns 30 on July 1st. If he truly has it in him to be a very late bloomer, let Gilbert prove it this spring & summer competing against at least two guys with legitimate backgroundsor resumes´- one a seasoned veteran, the other a draft prospect rated 4th or 5th round worthy.
Cooper Rush & Ben DiNucci are 7th round picks, Gilbert a 6th round selection. Why not upgrade the group that is competing to be the Cowboys backup have QBs graded higher than the tail end of the draft (or an UDFA?)
He has had very little chances to see the field , and that limited his experience and reps. I would rate him higher than Denucci and rush , and maybe over dalton . But we have to see him play . I feel with the cap situation and Dak’s injury rehab , this may be a possibility . This was the worry about Dak’s massive deal . Players with such injury are prone to be reinjured again or play with more hesitation . I am not sure the cowboys can find a top quality backup with their cap situation and the overpaid players such as zeke remaining on the roster . If Dak is down it may be Gilbert’s time .